SALT Monthly Contest Archive 15 members · 11 stories
Comments ( 171 )
  • Viewing 101 - 150 of 171
Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

366524 Oops, sorry. >_<
Well, that's really all we know about them. Crystal.
And some details in a song which I will now take care not to reference around you.
Here, have some Scootaloo as an apology.

Aquillo
Group Admin

Note to all: I have purged my brain of your spoilers. Please refrain from respoiling the spoiled... or something like that. Yeah.

Yay, Nagagon's back (kinda)! Glad to hear you're feeling better.

And is the cousin you converted the seven year old? If so, then this is the first time (that I've ever heard of) that someone's got a reluctant other in the actual target demographic to watch it. You're like... the rarest of the rare, Nagagon. You're a shiny Nagagon.

Someone get a pokeball, quick :rainbowwild:

No probs.

That's weird. My sister saw the new Spiderman movie not that long ago, and was less than impressed.

You could say that she could care less about the movie, couldn't you?

First off: oh god, Spike. It's not just Studio B being unnecessarily cruel to him now: you're doing it too! When will this madness end? (Never. It's an excellent source of guilty laughs. Keep on doing it.)

Next thing, for your undecided plot point, I'd try and bring in the ball that's used in the preceding game (beach volleyball, I think Why remember when you can scroll). Maybe have the group playing with it in the shallow end, or something, and then it gets kicked out to RD by accident. She has to bring it back to them, and... stuff. Yeah, it's bad, I know.

Hopefully, this is better: for one of RD's excuses to avoid the water, I'd suggest it being the normal excuse of 'waterlogged birds/pegasi can't fly'. It's complete bullcrap, and yet is widely believed (or so I believe).

As for what she does in Marelantis, I'd suggest something that ties it back into Nagagon's original prompt of 'Child's play'. So far, we all seem to have interpreted that as the games/play part without really paying much attention to the 'child' part (except for Fire). It'd be interesting to see if you could loop it back in with, say, a giant, baby sea-creature-formed-off-a-pun type monster attacking the city, and RD giving its flank some serious kicking.

Old Pre School Style

I would be able to answer you better if I knew what you were talking about. Crystal? Is that something to do with Rarity?

The Scootaloo's appreciated, though. I may never leave that jumping gif again.

Actually, why am I wasting time here?! There's a jumping Scootaloo to watch!

Sigh. So awesome

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

366087 If Harry has someone to sit his house for him he could come along and play seashells. He also has a lovely collection of volleyballs to show off. (or so I've heard.)

Aquillo
Group Admin

Note to everyone: 366710>>366677>>366087>>364557>>362022

We (as in SALT) got mentioned in the Pre-Readers Q&Neigh #3. It's at about 21:18.

I lol'd when they didn't know where we're located. Brings back old memories

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

366725 :yay: Advertisement! We might get more participants in here soon.

Aquillo
Group Admin

Except they don't know where we're located, and thus didn't put in a link. Everyone will go to Ponychan instead (which isn't such a bad thing. I think SALT fufils a different role to Ponychan, anyhow. You don't want me to go into what I think that should be. I don't want me too, either: I've got barely any time left :pinkiesad2:)

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

366733 I might have an idea on how to show where we are. It will absolutely work, but I still want to run it by you first. You are acting head of Salt while Raven is away. What if I message Wanderer D with a request to put up a news post with all of the still available help resources? I think he wouldn't mind, because it makes his job easier, and then everyone would see it. Thoughts?:trixieshiftright:

Aquillo
Group Admin

Hmm. Difficult.

On the one hand, yeah: more advertising would be awesome. On the other... it's not really attached to Fimfic, and most of the blog posts are tied in to Fimfic. Poulton got all cross a while back when one wasn't. I want to leave that hornet's nest unstirred.

Give me a couple of days to think it over/make up my mind as to whether or not I should just upgrade the submission's process so I don't have to check the blog each day, because man, that's annoying.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

366755 gotcha. Like I said though, all the resources. Ponychan and whatnot included.

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

366701 Here. I have them stashed all over in case of Pokeball Emergency. And yes, the bouncing Scootaloo was awesome, glad you like it. :scootangel:

366755>>366747 What if we didn't ask for a news post, just a mention in one of his blogs? Those are pretty high traffic, and he might appreciate having a group devoted to editing stuff to cut down on the junk he has to filter. Or we could write an amazingly popular non-meta story about The Adventures of Aquillo (not a self-insert) and his SALT Friends, with visits by the Doctor when the End Times (*cough*) Approach.

Aquillo
Group Admin

:rainbowwild::rainbowlaugh::rainbowkiss:

There's a fair number of groups. There's /fic/ (which is the big one), another one on... redditt or Tumblr (or somewhere like that) and then there's a group up here on Fimfic. Mainly, they all just need some advertisement.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

366773 A non meta, non self insert story written by the cast of the fic, using meta humor. sounds legit.:eeyup::facehoof::trollestia:

Aquillo
Group Admin

366781>>366773

Also, has anyone else noticed that nearly all the EQD pre-readers are now mods?

I'm... I'm getting scared, guys. No seriously: I am.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

366810 not too surprising. If they can make it there, they get serious clout behind their names.

Aquillo
Group Admin

I hope this is the result of Fimfic's 'not able to keep up posting supply' problems, and not the start of an invasion

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

366780 What if we compiled a list and gave him that? That way, it's not 'SALT self-promoting,' but 'SALT providing a public service.'

366781 Really? Good, I was worried it was a stretch.

366818 Well, if you need more approvers, who better than the guys who approve for EqD? Where did you get that information anyway? I haven't seen it anywhere. XD

Aquillo
Group Admin

Had a look at some peps' pages, and started noticing the mod symbol cropping up everywhere. I knew most of them were pre-readers, so I put two and two together and...

I'm not going to finish that.

The SALT thing could work, but... it'd be difficult to do it in a way that'd look like we weren't just grubbing for the attention.

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

366871 We ARE grubbing for attention, but we could make it somewhat better if we included others in our worminess.

Wait, is there a list of members somewhere, or did you just run into those by coincidence?

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

366905 probably on the EQD list of prereaders.
Oh, and 366087 , did you get anything good out of this? I hope so. It seems to be 361728 's turn. Why he has two in a row, no one can know, but I may as well let him. just this once.:ajbemused: especially as 362022 is gone for the week.

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

367091 He has two because his first one revolved around Celestia's Birthday and Cake, and then he saw that I had used that, so he made a new one, cursing me all the while. :pinkiehappy:

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

361728>>361744 Okay, so I looked over both of your stories, and I'm going to say that you should stick with the first one, even if it does share a theme with mine? Why? Because mine was just to get Chechov, while you use yours to get an actual plot. Why else? Because the first one is quite funny, and more engrossing than the second.

Other reasons for the first: Filly Twilight, Fluttershy and all the others. You can't go wrong. And also Trollestia.

For your setting, I'd recommend Canterlot, because, you know, it is her birthday, and she's probably be at home. As to Pinkie, what if they catch her bringing Celestia desserts several times? And have Derpy nomming muffins at the start to lay the groundwork?

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

361728 One thing comes to mind. Instead of using a stomach pump, have twilight use a stomach pump spell. "What? I had to use this on Spike all the time. You wouldn't believe the things he would eat when he was younger.":twilightoops:

Aquillo
Group Admin

Okay, stick with the 1st. Got it.

Derpy noming on Muffins at the start is certainly something I'd include. The ending'd feel incomplete/forced without it. As for Pinkie feeding her cakes... part of the plot involves the fact that they're forced to stay there. Having more ponies than just the... mane three leave would probably alert Celestia to what's what.

And yes, I know Pinkie could just magically acquire cakes. Hell, she can do whatever she wants. She's Pinkie, after all.

Pretty much the same as Fred for this. They can't stop making music. Celestia would not approve.

"But then how do they manage to use a gastric pump on her in the first place, Aquillo?"

That's where the games part kicks in, like some sort of action hero. It's da police! :moustache:

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

368558 in that case all of the lines should match the music. Such as Bon-bon's "Shut your trap up, shut your trap up. I'm trying to think here."

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

361744 So Lyra pretends her way through legend of zelda? hmmm. the three goddesses in there. Din Fayore and whatever the last one was. liken them to certain princesses?

Aquillo
Group Admin

Alright, lets do this.

I like this. It's flexible enough that you can make it either as long or as short as you need it to be. The only major problem I can see with it is what you'd actually do with it: the info in your plot ends just before it gets juicy. You've set up the stage, but you haven't really told us what you're going to be doing with it/what time the curtain closes. It's a very nice stage, but... dammit, Fire, tell me what's going to happen! The suspense is killing me over here!

My day's over. Just...

[youtube=kEogJacjLTE]

Yeah...

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

370265 sorry, what was that? I was distracted by the awesome song.
Oh yeah, the story... I basically imagined a giggling Cadance running/flying around, while Shining wanted to grow up again so he could go surfing. Also took inspiration from Urusei Yatsura. It really is that interesting? It seemed so bland to me.
and for my day starting now? I figured that we would stretch this out to give Puppo time to return.

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

370265 First off, this is for Aquillo (who I noticed is now using the bouncing Scootaloo gif).

Now, on to Fire:

361787 So, they didn't meet when Twilight was being foal-sat by Cadence? I suppose it could work. They knew each other existed, but didn't meet until That Day, and Poof, love at first sight or what-not. I suppose that's something you could explore.

You could put all sorts of fun 'Cadence and Shining almost getting caught' all over this story as he chases her. Also, you made me think of this.

Basically, you wouldn't write something world changing, mountain smashing. It would just be a short heart-warming one shot. I'd read it. XD

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

370392 sounds like what I had in mind.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

370515 sounds GREAT! I'm in. I'll help with yours and work on mine too! I need to come up with and idea but that is why we are here in the first place. What do you think about me using one of my practice ideas? I could fill the word count with my last one.

Nagagon
Group Contributor

370515>>370593
I so wanna take it, but I'm afraid it'll be too much for me. I got DR stuff to do, plus Violet Fire and I'll only be back home on the 4th, so I'll only be free to write to my heart's content by then. :rainbowderp:

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

370593 I was planning to use one of my practice ideas, actually. And then if that ran out, a Napoleon in Equestria thing I've had bouncing around for a while (please don't run out, Chrysalis fic...) XD
I'll try to help you with yours as well. Let's do this!

371281 Fair points all. We'll throw links at you, and you can come marvel at the genius save us from ourselves! :rainbowdetermined2:

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

371355 It's fantastic to see that we actually have some use for being in this group, huh?:raritywink:

D G D Davidson
Group Contributor

You're throwing that at me? Come at me, bro. Okay, I too should be in this. Then I could finally get Princess Trinity finished. Let's make each other do it!

Sorry for not giving you the feedback in a timely manner. Overwhelmed by other issues elsewhere. Go with the first story. It's wacky and weird and potentially funny. Biggest issue will be making sure the antics to be had are sufficiently hilarious. The ending you've suggested is kinda grim. I don't know if it will put too much of a downer on the end of your comedy. How about depicting Twilight as traumatized but only temporarily?

Love the idea, very funny. I see it as a short one-shot. I'm not sure what to say about it, partly because the summary reads like a (slightly overlong) synopsis. A few gags. Keep it cute. That sort of thing.

Eh, burned out. That's all I got.

Aquillo
Group Admin

>Overwhelmed by other issues elsewhere

The continuing flame war from the blog, I take it? Don't worry about it, man. We're meant to be a bit loose in here. And yes: I stalk everyone in this group :pinkiecrazy:

As for the ending, it's... kinda a trademark of mine when it comes to straight-up wacky comedy fics. I'd be playing it for guilty laughs more than I'd be playing it for any seriousness.

Count me in! Do the fics have to be new, or can we use old/continuing ones? Because I'm kinda wrapped up in a continuing one at the moment, and starting something new'd be...

Well, a mixture of overwhelming and cool. :coolphoto:

And the comic is daaawwww...

Well, the contest starts on the first, so you wouldn't be missing too much, and I very much doubt anyone who enters it is going to beat SS&E and his twenty-thousand words a week output.

I mean, seriously: does he do nothing but type?

D G D Davidson
Group Contributor

Is the flame war still continuing? I haven't even been back in there since I found a comment worth responding to and moved it to my blog.

Yeah, I'd like to continue an existing fic as well, but I think the continuation will come out to more than 50,000 words in addition to the three chapters already posted. Although I'm not as capable of ginormous five-novel-sized longfics as some people around here. Dang. Sometimes I wonder if it's inability to get to the point, or what? How do they do it? I've been slowly going through All-American Girl, which is riveting, but each chapter is about half the size of a novel.

I mean, my infamous Bone fan fiction from years back, which made me the paragon of evil (to exaggerate a little) in at least one corner of the fandom, was only about 70,000 words total, and I thought that was huge, but there are stories around here over 100,000 and still going! Are people trying to write the pony version of Wheel of Time?

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

371427>>371403 If it's anything like NaNoWriMo, they don't judge what you write, they just want you to write something. So, you can't count anything previously written towards the 50,000, but you could continue a story.

And Davidson, let's do this! XD

Would this blog be Davidson's blog on ethics?

371427 If it's longer, that's okay. So long as you hit 50,000 somehow, you win. What do you win? As far as I know, only satisfaction!

D G D Davidson
Group Contributor

Yes, it's Davidson's Blog on Ethics. I might as well give it that title, since it doesn't contain much pony these days.

I expect nothing more than satisfaction from a NaNoWriMo-like event. Last time I participated in one, I wrote a massive amount of stuff related to the novel I eventually finished . . . and I used none of the NaNoWriMo-like material in the novel.

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

371468 Learning experience, I suppose. Got any ideas for this one? Fire and I have been bouncing ideas around for a little while.

371281 The only reason I am including this is because of the picture. I do not recommend the story itself. It's in block format, and kinda rough.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

Hear ye, hear ye. as>>371789 stated, I have been tossing ideas around with him, and one of those was to let you in on my fic's timeline to comment/ leave ideas. You may find that here. Meanwhile, I have successfully caused most of you to forget that today was my day. Tomorrow 362022 goes!371468 371403 371281 be prepared.

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

362022 It's interesting to think of the "before time" in the show, but if Derpy were to win a competition with the athletic Dash and Applejack both competing it would be something they would have noticed. Rainbow would need to either be the injured or the helper to stay in character.

Aquillo
Group Admin

The flame war mainly switched into self-congratulatory posts of too-large images (which the mods promptly descended on and magicked away [371789, take note]) and then dissipated into nothingness. Still entertaining to read through, though: flame wars nearly always are when you're not involved.

As for how people can write so much, I have no idea. I'm torn between explaining it as them having no jobs to take up all their time or them having reached some godly state of nirvana in which every sentence they type is grammatically correct and fits soundly within the story as a whole. The fact that this fandom contains writers like Kkat who can churn out something longer than War and Peace in under a year... intimidates and scares me.

Ah, All-American girl. Released back in the days when readers would look at a twenty-k chapter and think 'Wow! This is something I have to read!', rather than the current climate of 'Long chapters frighten and confuse me! Shun the lengthy fics, shun!'.

I miss those days :applecry:

Sounds cool. I can do writing (or so I'm told... by me...)

I'll probs be on there tomorrow night (for me).

And Puppo, I'll write your deconstruction in the comment just after this one. Expect it.

Aquillo
Group Admin

Time-limits shime-limits. It's in and that's all that counts. Letsa go!

First off, where you planning on making it so that each member of the mane six gets injured and then the others help out, or is it done in turns over each event? I'm not quite certain going off your post, and clarification would be cool. As it stands, you'd need to find some really clever way of making them all become friends in the fic, and manage it without making it feel contrived.

I agree with Fire that having RD... well, lose, could come across as OOC. You'd have to appeal towards the loyalty aspect of her character in order to make it work. If I were you, I'd place a false ending around the end of the triathlon. They're all going to run in together, and then... Celestia calls for a new race. A fairly nice, and potentially funny, way to build and loosen tension.

D G D Davidson
Group Contributor

371789>>371838

Ideas for NaPoWriMo? I'm full of ideas. I could continue my epic-sized quasi-gore fic Princess Trinity, which features globe-trotting McGuffin hunts, monsters from Tartarus, changelings, a G1 crossover, an epic pony war, sea ponies, and more than its fair share of murder, torture, seduction, and rape, though mostly implied. It's about to get jossed by details in season 3 that I will never mention in this thread again, though the jossing surprises me because I didn't expect the show's writers to you-know-what with you-know-who about the nudge-nudge wink-wink.

I have a romance I've been sitting on for a while, in which an adult Pipsqueak tries to win the heart of Princess Luna by entering a fencing competition. It needs editing badly, and its first chapter has to be rewritten, but I probably couldn't use it because so much of it is drafted already, and I doubt it will come out to 50,000 words.

I have an idea for a story about a new demigod attacking Equestria while the Mane Six are out of the country, so Celestia calls on her B-team, consisting of Lyra, Bon-Bon, Colgate, Berry Punch, Carrot Top, and Derpy.

I have an idea for a story about Colgate starting a painless dentistry and finding out that ponies and laughing gas don't mix. That's definitely not a 50K story.

I have an idea for a Pony / Bone crossover, which absolutely needs to happen sooner or later. Probably not 50K.

My best bet might be to continue Princess Trinity. I don't have other ideas for fics that long unless I go way back and try round 2 of my earliest ponyfic attempt, which posited that Spike is in Equestria because he's a political hostage being held to prevent a draconic uprising, and that while in Canterlot he served as a harem guard in the palace seraglio.

I'm not sure I can churn out Princess Trinity in a month, though. It's convoluted and heavy (by my standards), and it's going to take a lot of craft. I can do it, but I'm not sure I can do it in the time limit.

D G D Davidson
Group Contributor

It just occurred to me . . . anyone notice that Rainbow Dash wears her sunglasses under her ears?

I like the idea of the competition. I admit I have a hard time imagining Derpy succeeding at an obstacle course, though, considering her apparent clumsiness. A six-way tie would be hard to pull of convincingly, especially with Fluttershy in there. We know Pinkie has weird powers, but could Fluttershy really equal Rainbow or Applejack in anything athletic?

Derpy as ultimate winner, especially when she's up against Rainbow Dash and Applejack, might also be hard to pull off convincingly. And though the others could probably accept their losses, we know Rainbow Dash hates losing. :rainbowdetermined2: She'd probably harass Derpy until she got a rematch. :derpytongue2:

I think maybe you should develop the idea of Pinkie and Fluttershy meeting through injury and perhaps focus the story there. Neither Pinkie nor Fluttershy would probably care that much about winning the match (and I imagine Fluttershy's only in there in the first place because Rainbow Dash--who we definitely know she knows already--goaded her into it). You could zoom in on that and really focus on the two of them becoming friends. It could be interesting with that particular duo, too, since Pinkie is such a hyperactive extrovert :pinkiehappy: and Fluttershy, especially at this early stage, can't hardly talk to other ponies without falling into barely audible squeaks. :fluttercry: We also know Pinkie won't let anypony go until she's made a friend, so it would be quite interesting to know how Pinkie originally made friends with Fluttershy (and she must have been friends with Fluttershy at some point before Twilight's arrival, since she insists she's friends with everypony in town). Perhaps Fluttershy makes it through the competition in spite of injury with Pinkie's encouragement? They cross the finish line together? Just tossing out ideas here.

Frederick the Saiyan
Group Contributor

372771 I'm never going to live that down, am I? >_<
Anyway, I just read Beyond the Everfree, and as soon as I caught what you were plotting involving that one group with the Best Pony, I decided I need to come learn at your feet. Also, I found a total of three (3) typos. Want me to send them to you?

Also, Gummy is not a Suitable Bathing Apparatus was genius.

372800 Do Princess Trinity, and if that runs out, do the Bone one, because that would be epic. Or just do a compilation of random stories, so long as you start with Bone. :pinkiehappy:

362022 I like the idea, but what kind of race could Rarity compete in?

Firebirdbtops
Group Admin

373071, 372817, 372785, 371281, 362022, Broderick, Ravensdagger, and the never-present roboponycop too. Enjoy the olympics!

also, 372817. That was some great advice, and followed my thread of thoughts exactly. It was so nice not to have to type it all out:raritywink:. feel free to continue typing all of my random advice for me.:pinkiehappy:
And with that, we conclude the last day of phase 2. Now for the final question. Will you be writing what you gave us. Yes, No or Maybe.

Aquillo
Group Admin

Meh. Finally found the time to have a proper look at the event and - as far as I can tell - it's just a pledge to write 50,000 words in under a month. Am I missing something here, or is that exactly what it is? I'm confused out of my mind right now.

Anyway, as to 373071, if you think you've spotted something, then here's the place to alert me, please and thank you. I'm also surprised you're not critiscising the pacing. Am I alone in thinking that chapter was horribly paced?

Also, I guess this contest's over for the month, guys. It was fun, and 373137 no, I will not be writing the story. I never will :pinkiecrazy:

D G D Davidson
Group Contributor

I would consider writing the story, but there's already a story up about Rainbow Dash meeting a sea pony, and it has a similar premise overall (minus the hydrophobia), though it looks like it's going to be longer and more involved, and include a Rainbow/sea stallion romance with hints of a role-reversed Little Mermaid vibe, of which I entirely approve. It's pretty good, too, competently written with the main cast very much in character and a readable style. My version would look like an inferior knockoff.

Ah, yes, Bone. Still best comic book after all these years. First thing that ever convinced me to write fan fiction. I should write the Bone crossover before somepony else notices the similarities between Bone and My Little Pony and beats me to it. I want Smiley and Pinkie to join forces and destroy half the town with their shenanigans, I want Phoney to get on Granny Smith's bad side and try to convince ponies to place bets on the Running of the Leaves, and I want Fone Bone to teach Spike to write love letters to Rarity and introduce Twilight Sparkle to Moby Dick.

• Viewing 101 - 150 of 171