School for New Writers 5,012 members · 9,620 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20
Goldy #1 · Jul 5th, 2012 · · 1 ·

Back to Gold's ramblings! In season 1 episode 2, we shall talk about... *drum roll* onomatopoeia? What the f*** is that?

Well, young ones, this is a concept commonly used in stories. You see it everywhere. Onomatopoeia is a sound made into words. Here's an example:

I pressed the button, igniting the fuse. The firework flew up into the air. I glared at it for a few seconds.
Boom.
It exploded into a fest of brilliant colors, launching across the sky.

That is one example: Explosions. Kaboom and Boom. These are everywhere.
Onomatopoeias are actually really cool when perfectly executed, but sucks when you fall short. I have no real examples, so I'll just make crap up. Here's a bad example:
Johnny was at the bomb, defusing it like a boss. "Come on dude, just cut a wire!" He put his scissors up to one, hesitated, then moved it to the other wire. He was shaking, but finally snipped the wire.
*PSST*
There was nothing happening, and we both sighed. Then suddenly...
*bam*
Then we both died. TEH END.

That makes me want to vomit. So let's look at the onomatopoeia fails: First, the quieter action was in all caps, but the louder one is not in all caps. Really? Second, the asterisks. Don't put those into a story. Ever. Those are only for word censors and making actions without explaining it. (i. e. *throws laptop out window*) Third... this story just plain sucks. Wait, we're not talking about that? Huh. Finally, the sounds should be different. Scissors don't go PSST, they go snip. And a bomb doesn't go bam, it goes KABOOM! Come on, this stuff is just simple knowledge.

Remember that not all sounds are able to be made into words. Have you heard curtains that are being moved around? You can't make that into words. Or wings flapping. Or most other sounds. But some can. And when you want to make a noise with onomatopoeia, but don't know what sound to make, just think of the sound in your head and see if a word can be made out of it. If not, well BOO HOO HOO.

Summary: Onomatopoeia is when you make sounds with words. It's cool if you don't fail at it. And if you do fail at it, it's just plain f***ing horrible.

This is Gold signing out. This may seem like a stupid topic, but this is beautiful when you put in suspense. You say Boom. and the chapter ends. It makes the reader think that the character is dead, which is beautiful for a cliffhanger.

XiF
XiF #2 · Jul 5th, 2012 · · ·

TL;DR version: YOU BLOODY IDIOT WHY WOULD YOU USE ONOMATOPOEIA IN A STORY IT'S NOT A COMIC BOOK WHY

338986 Onomatopoeia is great for suspense and giving highly in-depth sounds for a story. It's interesting when done right, though idiots seem to get it wrong sometimes. :trixieshiftleft:

I've used it twice, thud and splat.

XiF
XiF #5 · Jul 5th, 2012 · · ·

339370 I hate you now.

339589 ...Thirteen weeks ago. Anyway, forming nemesi over such trivial things as onomatopoeia is not a good use of your time. Wait, I've never used 'thud'. The scene I was thinking of was edited a long time ago to say 'a wet sound' (it makes sense in context). The second example, '...Heard a wet splat, then another. Splat. It was coming from around a corner...' was more of an example of what Golden said above about suspense.

XiF
XiF #7 · Jul 6th, 2012 · · ·

339614 splut

339614 Assuming it is made of a cloud, it would be "whht", as the sound of it flying through the cloud. But if it's a window, just say "crash".

XiF
XiF #9 · Jul 6th, 2012 · · ·

339629 iknorite?
Also, never use pomf as onomatopoeia.
(For more reasons than one.)

XiF

339623 DO NOT TRY TO HEX ME WITH YOUR EVIL POWERS

339645 Your defeat is assured! There is no escape from me! Kidding, kidding. Maybe.

339614 Depending on the density of the cloud, a light whump might suffice. Maybe it only makes sense to me.

XiF

339658 Nope. Either 'splut' or 'squealch'. I tested it with my neighbor's 360. (Both of 'em.)

XiF

339662 ♫Chocolate rain!♫....

I don't use onomatopoeia. It's the lazy author's way of describing scenes :/

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 20