School for New Writers 5,012 members · 9,625 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

Hello my adorable students! It is I, your lord and savoir Darklordcomp posting this at four in the morning when I should be sleeping! Here is the first of many podcasts done by myself with guest Sandcroft! I hope you all enjoy.

School for New Writers Podcast

In the Podcast we cover:
How to write Mystery, Slice of Life, and How to create a believable OC.

How to write an OC:

Semi-tragic backstory;
Quirky personality;
Says funny/random/ironic things;
Is surprisingly good at [insert thing here];
and has an odd link to the main characters.

That's how to not write one XD

I liked it, this podcast was interesting and infromative.
I especially enjoyed your references others works.
"When you get down to it, an OC is just a person." - Sandcroft
I loved this.

I don't imagine I will be able to produce any serious writing anytime soon -or ever- , but I did learn a lot.
Keep it up! :twilightblush:

As a newbie writer, I'll definitely check it out.
Btw, I loved the music at the beginning of the Podcast.

Thanks for answering my question. While listening, I realized I haven't been specific in my question. My mystery idea is a falsely accuse story and a private detective/Investigator have to clear the victim's name within 48 hours.

As for the slice of life, I mostly have it center on Nightmare Night in Canterlot.

Don't worry about mispronouncing my name. I kinda don't know how to pronounce it either. It is an arrangement of letters from one of my favorite Pokemon kyogre.

So I heard about this podcast and gave the episode here a listen. I'm glad there is someone who is trying to give advice on how to write, though from listing to this first episode, it sounds like you needed a co-host. Or some structure to your 'lecture'. I noticed too that the story examples you gave could have used some more break down on why they were being referenced, a little more detail at least in how they performed so well in their given genre/themes/etc. Also I don't believe you named the authors of those stories too.

After the half hour mark, the show does get more interesting once you bring the guest in. I thought that was a really interesting, but two hours (hour and a half really I know) is an awfully long time to listen to two people talk without any real structure or plan to follow.

5337150 yea that's why the second episode is delayed until this next weekend, i'm planning it out more and structuring it better, i'm also going to have one of the other professors on to cohost and it will be posted to youtube with only about a thirty minute run time.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9