School for New Writers 5,013 members · 9,630 stories
Comments ( 359 )
  • Viewing 351 - 400 of 359

I've started writing my story now. I'm worried about my narration now. Is it okay if I have it be in first person narration?I need a way of demonstrating the MC is a cloud cukkolander because of plot purposes. Half of their mind was absorbed by a magical artifact and the long term plot point is to get the artifact back.
Should I mix in the thoughts with the prose without special formatting? Or...?

As long as it looks intentional and consistent, it’s probably ok. Typically, thoughts are italicized, but I used strikethrough for intrusive thoughts once.

Comment posted by Reily deleted Jan 28th, 2023

Hello....sorry to anyone here is that i have several questions and please seriously need help.

Show don't tell is a very huge issue in my writing.

How an I supposed to fix it?

Writing Magic Actions

Such as:

Rarity used her magic to fold the fabric in front of her and put it neatly into the pile of other fabric of various colors.

I don't want to use "used his/her magic" all the time. I've gotten a little creative with it but I need some more phrases.

Hi, I'm looking to maybe start writing a fic, but I'm planning on having physical combat in said fic. The problem is I have no idea how to write han- erm, hoof to hoof combat that isn't unicorns flinging spells at each other. Does anyone have any recommendations where good, (maybe) tense and impactful fighting happens? I'd like to study those stories to try to understand what I'm missing.

Can someone teach me about One-Shots? I feel like I was never taught about this.

Not sure if you already have an answer but (not a professor, just helping) you can try using the horn instead of magic. An example I can give is (following your example)

Rarity ignited her horn to fold the fabric in front of her and put it neatly into the pile of other fabric of various colors.

You can also use lit up her horn to... or levitated the fabric using her horn but it's up to you to decide how you're gonna write.

I also have to admit that I also have trouble with these magic shenanigans sometimes so whenever I have trouble with writing it, I just look up other fanfics to see how they write it and just try to write my own version of it so I don't plagiarize.

• Viewing 351 - 400 of 359