The Mojave Express 1,108 members · 86 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21

So, a few months ago, I picked up Fallout 1 & 2. I finally got the values in the .ini for Fallout 1 to run on DX9 at 1920x1080 with no weird color glitching and only some screen tearing during cutscenes, and I gotta say, while its not as fast paced as the more recent entries, it's pretty fun. It's cheap on Steam most of the time, but it is a bit complex with not much of a tutorial. Just pick up Ian ASAP out of the Vault and blow up the Radscorpions for an XP boost and you shouldn't explode too often. Also, the left-corner of the screen can be used to run the game as a text-adventure pretty much, which is cool.

TL;DR
Play Fallout 1 if you think yous can handle the turn-based combat and beautiful pixelated 640x480 graphics that can't run on DX9 correctly. I might gift it to you on Steam if you really want me to and I like you.

Explodium
Group Contributor

I've played them as well.
Did you get the high res patch?
When you start on FO2, you should get the Restoration Patch as well. One thing I like about Fallout 2 is that it is definitely the funniest game in the series (Hell, one of the random encounters is The Bridge of Death (a Monty Python reference).

Perception Filter
Group Contributor

I tried playing Fallout one, and I couldn't figure out any of the controls cause I bought a used version from Bestbuy a while back, and it didn't have anything with it. Mind giving a noob some pointers?

Explodium
Group Contributor

If I recall correctly, pressing either F1 or F2 (forgot which) brings up a help screen that explains the controls and the hotkeys.

I actually have both but never got around to playing them. I know what I'm doing over vacation

I finished 2 several times... and I never got bored of that!
Only done 1 twice though.

Omega_code
Group Contributor

I have them, but when I play them the graphics get all screwy on my computer. Any suggestions on fixing that?

Perception Filter
Group Contributor

568819 Ah, thank you good sir

Explodium
Group Contributor

Have you tried installing the high-res patch?
(Is it the glitch where the screen goes black?)

Omega_code
Group Contributor

Where can I find this high-res patch?
And no, the screen just doesn't want to show the cut scenes, making the graphic distorted. The color is off and huge pixels of bright color appear instead of a clear image. This sometimes happen in game play too.

Explodium
Group Contributor

569195 (Sorry for the slow response)
This is what I used (I have the steam version, it might be a little different if you have a different version)

First, download and install the unofficial v1.2 patch here.
Then get the high-res patch here.

...at least I think that's what you do. I remember I initially had issues getting it up and running. Occasionally I got the black-screen bug, but that can be fixed by pushing F2 (or was it F1?) and open and close the help screen.

Omega_code
Group Contributor

Okay I download them but how do I make them work on steam?

Explodium
Group Contributor

I have the steam version too.

Well...open the .zip and look around for a readme and a .exe. Do you have a program that can open .zip files? Isn't there a .exe somewhere in that download? You could probably find one somewhere for free on the internet if you look around.

Explodium
Group Contributor

569530 If you don't have a program that can open .zip files, you can download one here. It's free.

Explodium
Group Contributor

Edit: Another thing.
For the v1.2 patch, click and drag the contents of the download (It should be something like falloutw.exe, and a folder labeled DATA) into your fallout folder. It will probably replace a few files, so allow it to

The directory (for me, if you use Windows 7, it's probably something similar) is something like:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout

For the other download, drag the contents into your fallout folder (again). If we are looking at the same thing it's a .exe and a folder labeled "Extras" Once there, run the .exe.

I think that once installed you can turn up the resolution and some other settings up under options.
If the graphics are still screwy, I may have another idea...but more on that later.

Omega_code
Group Contributor

I tried, but it didn't work. I'm good at this type installing patches. :ajsleepy:

Explodium
Group Contributor

Hm...you mentioned that your main issue was that the colors were distorted right? I think I might know what you're talking about...but I'm not sure. I found it's pretty common in older games.

Usually, in most cases I found that disabling explorer fixes this problem, and then I turn it back on when I'm done. (You know, open the task manager, end process?) You just have to be sure to have steam open or something so you can launch the game, because the desktop icons and start menu are disabled if you turn off explorer.

Edit: to clarify, do you use Windows?

Omega_code
Group Contributor

yes. I have windows 7 64bit

Omega_code
Group Contributor

I've tried what you said and it work :yay:

though I was a bit scared of how to turn explorer back on. Lucky I stumbled upon on how to in my frantic search of task manager .

If the distorted color thing makes stuff random rainbows, then I had the same thing. Get sfall, it works for steam version and it's an easy install. Just some file editing and you're good to go.

Omega_code
Group Contributor

So if I download it, where do I install it or put in the Fallout 2 file? (Or how do I get it to work. Like I said, I'm not good at this kind of modding or any kind of modding.)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21