The Lunaverse 2,571 members · 202 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

In Ice Hearts Ditzy says to Puissance that she loves Dinky unconditionally because there is no way for Dinky to become cruel and mean(just like noble's clothes cannot turn into peasants clothes). But this is really disturbing, I guess Ditzy may have been saying this so Puissance could understand but there is a natural unconditional love a parent has for a child be they good, or cruel. If a parent does not love their child that is evil, even if the child becomes a serial killer, that parent has a moral obligation, and one that is usually instantly fulfilled, to love that child.

Is Ditzy not like that? If Dinky had ended up like Diamond Tiara, or becomes like that as she grows older, she won't love her? or was she just saying that?

I know this is really late but this just started to bother me.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I think Ditzy would love Dinky regardless of who she was, but loving her doesn't mean that she would ignore anything she does or spoil her. If Dinky did turn out to be a serial killer or something she's probably still try to get her inprissoned on the grounds that it would actually be the safest thing for Dinky and all pony kind, it would probably tear her up but she's do it.

Not to say that what Ditzy says is exactly how she feels, like everyone else she's flawed. Certainly her love is coloured to a certain extent by her guilt over the events leading up to her conception. She feels that her actions resulted in several ponies getting hurt and Dinky being one of them (even though she wouldn't exist without those events) and that guilt leads to some of the reasons why she tries to do the best for Dinky.

I'm obviously not saying a good parent wouldn't try to teach or even punish the child if they are cruel, or in the case of serial killer help put them in prison. But Ditzy said she loved Dinky because she is kind, etc, not that she supports Dinky's decisions because she is kind, etc.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

I get what you're concern seems to be with the specific way those statements were phrased and in some ways I might agree, but I think the intended take away is that Ditzy trusts her daughter to make the right choices. She doesn't worry herself over any concerns her daughter might grow up to be a horrible person because she doesn't see that possibility being within Dinky's nature.

Maybe that's naively optimistic, but it's part of what makes Ditzy our Element of Kindness in the first place.

I don't think that's naively optimistic, I think that's the basic reading of Lunaverse, but Ice Hearts puts a serious spanner in those works with how Ditzy describes love.

To make myself happy and to like Ditzy's character again I am going to give the entirely realistic answer. Ditzy was so caught up in disproving Puissance critisim that she fell into the trap of strengthening the argument rather than realising she didn't say what she believed and admmiting to that and chaning her point. And the rest of the group, aside from Puissance, all forgot about her statement.

Mare that Wants everything spoiler.
And now Puissance will think she's a better grandmother than Ditzy a mother because she loves her family regardless.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6