Andrew Joshua Talon Fan Club 101 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Yeah over on Spacebattles I did a omake centering around something that often bugged me about portrayals of Rainbowdash. While it mentions a few other omakes and such unique to SB.com, the only thing that might be confusing to those who don't visit that den of insanity is who Rover is.

SO a brief explanation at some point in the future Earth will get into contact with Equestria via the space portal that brought Chrysalis there.The automated exploration and communication device is Rover. There is a lot more, but you have to go to SB.com thread to see it.

anyway the omake:

*Andrew, Applejack, and Twilight blinked as they lead the crusaders into his main sitting room and saw a smug Rainbow Dash preened in front of Rover... from which a snooty voice kept stammering incredulously*
Rover: You.. but.. how... imposs... predi.... you... how... wha....

RD: what can I say I'm just awesome that way!

A: Great. Rainbow did you break the multimillion space probe again?

RD: Naaah... just the knowitall on the other side... should have known better than to bet against the Dash!

*Andrew ignored Scootaloo sudden eruption of cheering behind him as he raised a eyebrow*

A: And what did they bet you against?

*A sound of shuffling attracted his attention back to Rover, before the normal head of Mission control's face popped up on its video screen*

Ro: Perhaps I can clear that up Mr. Shepherd. You see it started a few days ago when we were discussing with miss sparkle some simple weather spells we could have some of the more... *ahem* rehabilited cheechlings learn back here on earth....

*FLashback*

T: hmm... well Bixby's rainstorm is abit high powered, and you only want something to mitigate the effects of this hurricane?

Ro: *Snooty voice* yes... we don't want any of those.... beasts.. something to powerful.... but something to mute the hurricane before it hits Palm Beach should proof a nice test case that they are worth .... something I suppose.

*Twiligth frowns considering standing up for the changelings, since one of their queens is kind of her sister-in-law now. But before she can do RainbowDash strolls by and pauses glancing at the indepth weather information being projected ont eh screen showing the current weather patterns in detail and the Hurricanes projected path and spoke up *

RD: *Half distracted* naah. that's all wrong. That storm is obviously going to veer north east the next couple of days.... before hooking back west and hitting.... *She pauses and runs her eye over the weather data before plopping a hoof firmly on the North Carolina Coast.* Here in about... oh 3 days I think... It should probably increase in strength by 15% as well...

Ro: *Snooty voice* WHAT? Preposterous! The current forecast shows the Hurricanes expected track will hit south florida with a 80% certainty!

RD: Well the forecast is wrong.

Ro: *Hmph!* As if some self admitted mere STUNTMAN could predict things better than a proper meteorological prediction pattern.

RD: *Looks offended.. than sly for a moment* oh? you one of those high up eggheads back at human central right? Care to put your bits where your snout is? I've been looking to snag a few things ANdrews mentioned from earth to try out and with you being so high and mighty.. I win? you transfer a care package to equestrian via your space gate thingy of my choice!

T: hmmm can I get in on this? I can add some high level equestrian magical theory you've been inquirying about as our stake...

*end flashback*

*Andrew snickered*

A: DOn't tell me... the Hurricane followed Dash's prediction?

Ro: ................... yes. To the letter, even her prediction of its increase in strength was only off by 2 percentile points!.... I am so not looking forward to explaining ot the president why our next multimillion launch will be filled with.... requested knickknacks instead of mission specific items....

*Andrew Laughs*

A: Well you should have known better than to gamble on such things!

Ro: IT seemed a harmless bet! Our profile on Miss Dash had her as a athletic who disdained the sciences! IT seemed a easy way to get some Equestiran tech! I don't get HOW Miss Dash pulled such a ringer on us!

T: *WHispering* Like Andrew says there is a sucker born every minute....

A: *Shakes head* You forget to 'Look underneath the underneath'. Rainbow may be one of the more athletic Pegasus in ponyville

Scoot: IN EQUESTRIA! SHE'S THE BEST!

*twilight continued the explanation as Andrew finally truned to try and calm down Dash's number one fan.*

T: Regardless though Rainbow is a Pegasus, and they have a innate sense for Weather patterns. More importantly she's head weather pony for POnyville. They don't just assign that post to simpletons, a Pegasus has to be in the top percentile of weather knowledge to get that job. ANd has to be able to react to changing weather situations almost instantly.

*Rainbow blushed as Twilight spelled out some of her lesser known job details. Fidgeting uncmfterably as she noticed the Crusaders quieting down and staring at her with wide awe inspired eyes as they learn of the complexities she handles everyday. *

RD: Ah ... it isn't nothing really.

Ro: Okay that means she could understand things but I still can't grasp how she got it so accurate! Heck some our top chaos theorists are starting to rip out their hair trying to figure it out how she predicted it so accuratly.

A: Again you have to take into account that Rainbow is in charge of the PONYVILLE weather sector. And that increases its importance significantly. Almost to the top if I were to guess

Ro: *Sounding confused* I thought ponyville was a small equestrian town.... wouldn't one of the major population zones or capital be more important to weather control?

*Andrew shakes his head*

A: true there are larger and more economical and political important areas of Equestria.... but most of them don't have.. That.

*ROvers camera shifted in the direct Andrew was pointing out the window*

Ro: I don't understand.. their is the river of course and a few fields and the Everfree for.....oh.....

RD: huh? whats a big deal about the forest?

T: *Stares incredulously at the confused Rainbow before shaking her head* Whats important is that the Everfree Forest is a unregulated weather zone. Which means there is no predicting what weather winds or patterns might crossover into Equestria proper. And nothing can screw up a well regulated system like inserting a random variable. Rainbow Dash, and the head weather ponies of the sectors on the other sides of the forest are the first line of defense against that. THey filter in the chaotic weather that blows out of the forest so that it has minimal effect on the rest of Equestria's weather.

Scootaloo: Wow! Rainbow Dash does all THAT??

AJ: You bet your Crusader cape sugarcube! Why do you think Andrew and us girls only give her light teasing about how many Naps she takes? It 'cause we know she's often up at odd hours of the night fixin up the weather around here so ya'll can enjoy your day!

*Rainbow Dash looks shocked, unaware the others knew about her odd sleep schedule and the reason behind it*

A: The bottom line is While my dear marefriend Twilight is a genius in many areas. When it comes to the Meterolgical sciences, Dash here just blows her away. She's probably several levels above even a doctorate in Meteorological science, at least the practical aspects of the field. Heck I'd lay even money that she has a fair grasp on Chaos Theory, provided you coach it in terms of weather patterns.

Ro: Pass, one major bet loss is enough for us thanks.... besides most of our CHaos Theorists are either in mental rehab after Discords last session with them or eagerly planning new topics for the next one..... when they are not busy cackling in ways that is disturbing to ... well everyone else sane.... Still your explanation does explain a lot, I must apologize to you Miss Dash for vastly underestimating your skill in your area of expertise.

RD: Ah sheesh.... it isn't that hard really....

A: *SNort* Not that hard? Rainbow compared to what you do, The Manhattan Project 'wasn't that hard'. And you manage to do it all WHILE maintaining your Wonderbolt training, hanging with us, mentoring Scootaloo, AND keeping POnyville weather in near perfect alignment. If that wasn't enough you even manage to set it up so you can afford trips out of ponyville to Canterlot or appleloosa for several days! Quite frankly even thinking about it puts me in Awe, Rainbow.

T: Indeed, its a testimant to not only your skill but also your teaching ability that your second in command can handle the job for several days on end when you're busy elsewhere helping us Rainbow. Much less maintain your efficiency here for years in a row!

RD: What are you talking about Twi? I mean I know its a important job, but head pony of ponyville isn't THAT bad. You make it sound like some super hard task or something

*twilight blinks*

T: You mean you DON'T KNOW?

RD: KNow what?

T: Rainbow.... Andrew and I looked up past head ponyville weather ponies while you were in the hospital after dealing with those cloud gremlins, to see if we could get a stand in while your wings healed.....

RD: yeah so?

A: *Sigh* Rainbow before you took over the average tenure of head weather pony in Ponyville was 3 to 5 months before they quit, asked for reassignment, or burned out. that ratio STILL holds up for the other weather zones surrounding the Everfree.

*Rainbow blinked in amazement*
RD: what... really?

T: *nods* Yes and following their career here or in the other zones, 3/4th of the previous weather ponies either quit or were forced out of the equestrian weather service due to stress and burnout issues.

A: And yet you handle the job in Ponyville with ease. You actually improved the POnyville sectors weather scores once you took over!

*Applejack rubbed her hoof against the back of her mane as she took on a thoughtful look*

AJ: Huh... now that I think about it, the farms harvest have generally been stronger since Ol' Rainbow took over the weather patrol. Never really made the connection before....

*Rainbow just stood there stunned and blushing, before Scootaloo piped up*

Scoot: but if Rainbow is so awesome why haven't they promoted her higher up the weather control chain? or made her a Wonderbolt directly?

*Andrew ruffles Scootaloo's mane*

A: Well first off because the Wonderbolt are primarily a military wing, a lot of their duties don't have anything to do with weather patrol. And of those that do, well the Wonderbolts are more a quick reaction force who deal with things that suddenly pop up. I'm sure they had their eye on Dash's performance in Ponyville for a while, but their weather related duties are much more specialized than even a unique weather posting like this one. As to why she wasn't promoted, well partly because Rainbow has never been interested in such.

RD: *Shaking off her shock a bit* Well DUH! Everypony knows the upper branches of the weather dept spend all their time in meetings. Sure those executive chairs look comfy, but if I spent all day with my plot in them looking over charts and I'd lose the edge you need to be a wonderbolt! I mean sure one or two promotions would be nice, but head weatherpony was enough to pad my resume for the Academy.

A: NOt to mention the Weathermare promotion incident

*Rainbow glared*

RD: I thought we agreed never to speak of that AGAIN.....

*Andrew smirks, as Twilight clears her throat*

T: Its not only that, but also of how great a teacher Rainbow is as well.

RD: what... teacher?

T: *Smiling* You know how I mentioned how 3/4ths of the previous weather ponies left their jobs after running ponyvilles weather for a while? Well the remaining quarter were all fast tracked up to the higher management levels, after some recuperation time, since handling the everfree generally meant they could likely handle continent and even worldwide weather patterns and coordination stress. It still holds true for the other Everfree zones as well. But Rainbow, haven't you noticed how quickly your 2nd in commands are promoted?

RD: Well of course, they have to be studying under a awesome Pegasus like me.

A: NO what Twilight is saying is that yoru second in commands are now filling in that requirement of everfree experience for upper management of Equestria weather, only without the issues of losing 3/4ths of the applicants. And I would bet they are paying close attention to the current crop of subordinates you are grooming to take up the slack once your wonderbolt training picks up.

RD: Welll... I did have my eye on a few rising stars... Still.... all those higher ups... selected because... they were trained by ... me?

AJ: Face it sugarcube, you're always telling us what a awesome pony you are. We just never figured you were understating things sugah!

A: *chuckles as he looks at the varying looks on Rainbow Dash's face* Come on girls lets let her wrap her mind around this. Besides as long as we're taking bets, who wants to go see if Pinkie's party sense has triggered and she's planning a 'Rainbow Discovered what a hardcore weather pony she is' party or not.

T: *snorts as she shuffles the crusaders out the door* NOW who's asking for sucker bets?
---------------
See it kind of bugged me to always see Rainbow Dash's job as weather pony dismissed or at least considered easy. If you think about it most of Equestria's weatehr is a controlled system... EXCEPT the Everfree forest. And nothing screws with a ordered system more than inserting random variables. So I think Rainbow has to actually be fairly highly skilled to handle whatever random weather factors the Everfree inserts into the Equestrian weather system at all times. TO be able to handle this, practice stunts, AND hang out with her friends? Its quite frankly mindboggling, although does explain why Rainbow takes so many naps.....

so what are your all thoughts?

Andrew Joshua Talon
Group Admin

I think it's great! Though you seem to have double posted... Again... Wow.

fixed it... I honestly don't know what went wrong with my post .....

HEADCANON ACQUIRED! This is a pretty cool idea. Rainbow sleeps during the day...because her circadian rhythm is fried due to her 24/7 job.

She wakes up for work, training and socailizing, and only for a few hours at a time, then back to nap-time. This somehow makes her more awesome....:rainbowdetermined2:

I can now see there being an episode about Rainbow being kept awake for days on end being overworked. All of her friends think it's another instance of AJ overworking herself unnecessarily, and she just needs to chill out. Then they discover exactly what RD's job entails because of the Everfree.:trixieshiftright:

This would make a good fic...

Excellent!
Inserting into headcannon now
:pinkiehappy:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5