Steamponies 447 members · 105 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

I'm having a tough time with a plot of a steampunk/fantasy novel. I have it set during a time of a magic sapping plague and the main character is, for whatever reason is immune to this plague. My problem is I can't decide if I want to go with the find someone who released the plague or have the main character seek out a doctor or alchemist who can synthzise a cure from a blood sample while avoiding crazy desperate people trying to kill him and harvest his organs

I kind of want to go with the first plot but that's been done before in other settings, someone releases a virus for some stupid and insane reason like "humanity must be controlled population wise so the earth can be saved and blah blah blah." What should I do?

They both seem like good plots. But If I had to pick one I'd find the person who made it while giving blood to some alchemists, how long do you think this fic will be?

oh forget to mention, this isn't an mlp story.

so what site would this be on?

This would be an original novel.

In which case they both seem like they'd be good though they both seem like the maze runner books.So I dont have any ideas beyond mix both of them together and maybe use necrotech somewhere in the story. (I just love the idea of cyborg zombies)

Just showing the video because that's what I imagine gears and bones mixed to perfection looks like.

I've got to say, I think I've read / heard of the second option less. So, you get bonus points for originality right there. The idea of having to dodge people who are constantly trying to harvest the character (never mind the lowly urchins who just want a lock of hair) while they try to get a cure made sounds neat. If only they'd all be patient!

On the flip side, there's nothing wrong with doing something that's been done before so long as you do it *well*.

Maybe you could do both. Make the second option the base of your story, one man who is immune to a disease trying to find a cure, alone or with a group of travel companions. The crazy people naturally come after him to get his organs. After a while, however, he notices that some of his predators were searching for him in particular. They could be minions of either the one who spread the disease in the first place or someone who doesn't want it to disappear (maybe even another immune person, who uses the fact that he is the only person to use magic to gain power and rule over others. Alternatively, he could be a kind ruler of a utopian city who is only confident in his rule because he is the only one with magic and is scared that the disappearance of the disease could break that control).

This would you give a few direction in which your story could go. For example, the hero trying to get hindered so much that he has to go after his antagonist, convince them what he does is the right thing or even trick him and managing to find a cure without stopping or reforming the antagonist.

Just a few Ideas I've thrown together, hope they can be of use to you.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8