AppleSpike 611 members · 196 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

If you're like me and have read the entire Applespike collection (save it be the mature ones) I'm sure you too will have noticed a couple things that trend in all these stories.
First off, just gonna say that I'm not tryin' to cramp anypony's style here; I use a lot of these clichés too. I'm merely addressing this, because I think it'd be interesting to see some new stories, taking a different approach to the rest when it comes to Applespike.

So here we go!

Cliché No.1: Spike gets rejected

It is often the case that Spike is either rejected, gives up or simply, moves on from Rarity, thus eventually directing him to Applejack.
This one is exploited quite often. Applejack has never been a rebound, per say, but she is often at first a buffer or escape. (The good friend who becomes more than a friend. Every flippin' Spilight!)
This works but can seem (as the word 'cliche' suggests) repetitious and dull if over-used. This can be avoided by a unique enough plot line to back it up.
As stated before, even though at times it seems boring, it is also the most closely related to canon. Spike already has feelings for Rarity, the depth of which is completely up to the author, but as long as this trait remains, the character remains understandable.

Cliché No.2: Applejack falls in love first

'Spike at you service' has a lot to play in influencing this. Applejack suddenly realises how daring and courageous he is.
In other instances, Spike and AJ fall in love gradually, at the same time.
I really don't have a problem with any of this. But it's be interesting to delve in and explore Spike's character depth. Guaranteed there is already depth to Spike either way, but what I mean is that every option hasn't been explored.
If people are looking to spice-up the Applespike nation, you gotta get under the skin of the characters.

Cliché No.3: Love triangles...

The Applespike universe is cut in half. Stories about Applejack and Spike, or stories that are about Spike and Aj included in a love triangle.
Anypony read 'Dawning reality'? It was a jumbled mess of ideas and unexplored paths. It. Was. Beautiful!
Good, but it totally needed a rewrite and a lot of rethinking. By the end, there were so many ships that the only predictable ending (and it was painfully predictable) was to pull a 'Girls of my life'. Everyone has a crush on Spike, deal with it. That's basically it.
In the end, Applespike is either part of a triangle or a fall back. This, I really don't like. Heck, I won't down-vote a story for it, but it bugs me that AJ is often an underdog in this 'other half' (half of them end out being Spilights anyway).

But that's just me. :pinkiesmile:

Final Cliché: Farm work and injury

Spike works on the farm and falls in love and vice versa. Or he's working because he's hurt (emotionally) or somepony else is hurt (physically and emotionally). Either way you look at it, one of the most used clichés of the Applespike nation is work.
I'm okay with it, but I feel a little variation needs to happen somewhere.
The story 'Practice Date' shows a different approach to Applespike, one that takes AJ out of her natural retreat (Work) thus putting events in motion.

This wasn't meant as an argument or profound statement...frankly I think some of my points are pretty weak, but I felt it was a topic I wanted to bring up to see if there were any opinions on the matter. Or maybe to inspire someone's work!

But more than anything, I'd really appreciate some feedback on this thread. Could Spike be the first to fall in love? What about some humanised, high school versions that don't turn out as a harem? What if Applejack were just a rebound? There is sooooo much left to be written and added to really characterise this ship.

4601732 well, let me ask you a simple question: given the canon, what other options are there? Pretending that he never loved Rarity? Having him stop his crush without Rarity's involvement (because otherwise it'd be the first Cliché) ? Because, other than those, I don't think there's anything else.

4601834 That's an excellent question!
I find there's a delicate balance between canon and fiction. By this I mean that if you change a canon character too much, you might as well have created an OC. A canon character should share traits and history with an alternate self within fiction. It makes the character more compatible, and is generally more accepted.

For example, if we said that Spike never liked Rarity and only ever loved AJ, I predict that wouldn't go down well with most people, no matter how well written. Because that isn't Spike.
Small differences and changes work best. For example saying that AJ has always found Spike cute, but never done anything about it, I think, would generally be more accepted then the previous example.

Thanks for the question :pinkiesmile:. I still feel there is more character depth to be written, without having to destroy what is canon. I find even Alternate universe stories keep to this.

4601834 I completely agree that Rarity does need to be involved. But AJ's involvement is what can be most altered. She doesn't always have to be the good friend and work mate turned lover. I'm not saying it happens always, but it is often the case.

Well don't I have some good news for you!

At this very moment, I have an AppleSpike story in the making and has none of the Clichés that you mentioned! It's one of my favorite stories that I absolutely had to make different than any other AppleSpike stories made so far.

Well it might have a hint of some of them, but they aren't based off them.

Since I have seen a post like this, I'll let it be know that this story will be showing it's first appearance in....1 week. Look forward to it!:facehoof::ajsmug:

4601732 An easy fix is to write an AU. It gives the writer far more freedom for choices, such as aging him up, saying he's a free dragon, etc. Besides that, those are pretty much what I see as the bases for the canon pairing.

Hmm, given how you brought up Spilight twice, I'm getting the feeling you aren't that much of a fan of it.

An idea, if you will.

Why not have Spike try and find a passion for himself?

Like in the Story Heart invasion, except he's not doing it for some bits to buy a new set up, but he wants the same things all his friends want.
And the followign event can be like the episode where the CMC asked about everybody's cutie marks and how they got 'em. But this time we can make it so that its about hobbies or passions the others have. Sadly, for most of the others most of their passions coincide with their cutie marks, but this is where it can be made interesting.

Now we know AJ likes working her farm, but what if its just something she enjoys to do, but her passion lies in something else? Not only would this add a special depth to AJ that Spike never knew and gets him slightly interested.

Now from here we can make it interesting. Say that we can do one of a few things with AJ's Passion:

A) She's embarrassed about it, and doesn't like anyone knowing, but she tells Spike due to him trying to find something that makes him happier compared to his normal life, not unlike what her passion does for her. Maybe she can make him interested in the same hings she is?

B) Once Spike learns of AJ's passion, he can try it, not be good at it or just not feel like its "him" enough, and they go off on a little adventure through Ponyville. Throughout which, they walk and talk and they find they enjoy one another's company more than originally.

C) AJ's passion is so far removed from her personal nature Spike can't help but be interested in how she can have fun with it. Maybe he can try something like that for himself.

D( for DARK)) AJ's "passion" is more than a little disturbing and Spike tries to get her out of it. He can't tell their friends because AJ doesn't want anyone to know. SO its up to him to help her through this.

4602348 That is splendid news! I look forward to it.

4602605 I felt very much the same that AUs allow a bit more freedom. As for my rather blantent dislike of Spilight (no, I don't go hunting stories to down vote :rainbowlaugh:) it's because I feel it shouldn't work. Disclaimer: this is all just my opinion. If you wish to know why, watch this:

(watch from around 3:38 to 4:45 for the Spilight segement. Or just watch it all) I share a lot of his opinions, in particular why I dislike Spilight. It's a decent ship 'n' all...I just don't like it I guess :unsuresweetie:
Twilight spends a lot of her time stressing over the fact she's in love. Then there's the over-dramatised battle of emotions as she finally gets Spike out of liking Rarity. Twilight and Spike are good friends, yes, but I feel they work best as being just friends.
Spike generally works with anyone. But Applespike, I feel, works best.

4602959 I can dig that. Yeah, it wouldn't be like an 'EPIC ROMANCE FICTION', but that certainly has pottential to turn out pretty cutely.
Are you gonna write this? If you do, will definetly favourite. It sounds pretty solid. :moustache:

4603538 I agree. So long as the characters do not change their main traits and personalities, the possibilities are endless, regarding both hobbies and fiction.

I read that one. Was fun while it lasted. AJ's little passion for airships was actually really cool. Some people see her as just 'married to the farm', but this added to AJ's depth as a character, without having to go all out and change anything major in her life.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10