Alternate History Bronies 732 members · 629 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Specifically, to help Timothy48 to get the story Interesting Times going again. It involves taking Equestria and dropping it into 1908 Earth (northern pacific to be more specific)

I have already talked with Timothy48, and he has expressed a willingness to at least give it a try. If any of you are interested, I can present his terms for doing so (having read them a few times over, they are reasonable and understandable given his reasoning for abandoning the story originally, due to it no longer being fun and waste of time that could be spent elsewhere)

So...well that's all for the moment. Anyone interested in offering their aid?

I'm curious as to what kind of terms he has. Just looking at the story, it looks kind of interesting, though it would probably take a good full read-through or two in order to get familiar enough to lend a hand.

Mh… Dropping Equestria into the Armed Peace prior to the Great War.
And on the northern Pacific, nonetheless! Russians, British-Canadians, Japanese and Americans pouncing on them, plus Europe wanting a piece, causing friction between the Ottomans and the French! And consider the year, too: 1908, just like a year since the US took the Panama Canal from the French! Hell: even Mexico would get involved, gladly doing land-bridge for the Germans!

Short of actually writing it, count me interested!

3853387 What would the terms be? The story sounds interesting, but I know I'd only be able to help contribute so much.

Mh… Dropping Equestria into the Armed Peace prior to the Great War.

And on the northern Pacific, nonetheless! Russians, British-Canadians, Japanese and Americans pouncing on them, plus Europe wanting a piece, causing friction between the Ottomans and the French! And consider the year, too: 1908, just like a year since the US took the Panama Canal from the French! Hell: even Mexico would get involved, gladly doing land-bridge for the Germans!

Short of actually writing it, count me interested!

I could see the Russians and Japanese pouncing on them. The US and Great Britain...its possible, but less likely. The US at least would be more likely to use economic influence to get what they wanted, as would the British. Not sure how the heck it would cause tensions between the Ottomans and the French though- The Ottomans are at the time not even a great power, but a Secondary power (at the top of said list, but it'd be in the same category as Brazil would be- a major regional player, but not a GLOBAL player)

Also, I believe the US purchased the French property of the Canal in 1904, rather than 1908. As for Mexico and Germany...I think that's a leap. Germany was only interested in Mexico during WWI due to the possibility of using them to open a front close to home to Divert the Americans should they join the war.

I can post Timothy's terms here if people would like to see them here rather then receive them via PM.

I could see the Russians and Japanese pouncing on them. The US and Great Britain...its possible, but less likely. The US at least would be more likely to use economic influence to get what they wanted, as would the British.

(*) The Russians would try to annex them, but would be hampered by the fact that their naval assets would need to sail through the Arctic Sea.

(*) The Japanese would try to colonize them simply out of chauvinism reflected on them owning no colonies to compare with the European Empires.

(*) The British would likely establish First Contact, and it would be coin's toss of whether this happens on friendly or hostile circumstances. If it happens peacefully, the Empire would try to see how much naval assets they could muster from Vancouver and Australia, but the Empire would likely be spread far too thinly to muster enough troops to be able to repel an invasion from another power. I would guess, however, that the Canadian Pacific Railway would be a mayor asset on the British logistic race against the rest of Europe, as I bet they would learn to put half-assembled ships on the tracks…

(*) The Americans would likely try, at the very least, to 'preserve the freedom' of the pony people by 'generously' incorporating them as a territory. And then would likely classify ponies to be lower than niggers, so the 'smart beasts' would be put to serve 'their natural masters'.
Logistically and tactically, the States would be at a great advantage (first simply considering geographical opportunity; the second considering that they had invented the Ironclad and semi-submersibles and the US Marine Corps were already specialized at performing foreign invasions), but the grab would likely tip the war into Europe vs them, rather than a free-for-all between European powers.

Not sure how the heck it would cause tensions between the Ottomans and the French though-
[…]
Also, I believe the US purchased the French property of the Canal in 1904, rather than 1908.

The French had started the Panama Canal due to the Ottoman stealing the Suez Canal, thus cutting them off from the Pacific and Indian Oceans. And then the French civilian population had been nearly bankrupted from buying Panama Canal Stocks that ended up being worth as much as toilet paper. A golden opportunity happening so soon after their second Canal loss would likely make the French boycott the Americans and snap at the Ottomans.

As for Mexico and Germany...I think that's a leap.

Mexico wouldn't really care who they help, as long as it can be construed into a passive-aggresive attack against American interests. And while Mexico was particularly partial toward France at the moment, the most likely buyer would be Germany, gleefully constructing triple-line railways across the 100 kilometres of the Teguantepec Isthmus.

I can post Timothy's terms here if people would like to see them here rather then receive them via PM.

Please, do post them here. Public viewing is usually more positive.

(this is what I've been sending via PM's so far)

Firstly, here's a copy of the terms that Timothy48 sent me when I inquired to him the possibility of getting the story going again.

Assuming you accept them, I (or you) can message Timothy with said acceptance, and then hopefully as soon as he gets a Gdoc up to use as an outline/discussion we can get started on figuring things out.

Alright, if you are serious about doing this, I am going to warn you straight up, I reserve the right to decide whether or not the story continues or not depending on how things go.

If I find myself doing more work than you guys, I pull the plug, if people are not enjoying the story, I pull the plug, if you guys are taking too long to get another chapter out, (long than three months) I pull the plug. Finally, if I do not like the quality of work that you guys are doing, then I pull the plug, and if I have to pull the plug one last time, it stays pulled.

Are we clear on that? If we are then good, if not, then we're not going to get very far.

Secondly, the whole story needs a rewrite, a lot of clunky plot elements have to go, and the pacing needs a pick me up. In addition, grammar back then was not my strong point so that needs a lot of work. Moreover, if/when this is brought back, what we are going to do is get at least five to six chapters fixed before we post them. They will be posted where the story currently is, and I will be sure to give you guys plenty of credit for your work, but remember I have another story that takes priority over this one, in addition to real life commitments that I have, so you guys will have to be able to work around my schedule.

If there are no problems with that, then alright.

Thirdly, I reserve the right to decide who gets to work on the story and who doesn't.

Finally, I just want to say that I know I sound like a real hard ass here, and it is not my intention of sounding like that or offending you, but you have to understand, I do not like to have my time wasted, that was the main reason I pulled the story in the first place, it was wasting my time and I wasn't having any fun with it. So if these conditions can be met and maintained throughout this endeavor then great, if not, then that's it.

Cheers,

Timothy48

If you have any further questions, reply to me or send a message to Timothy48

Anybody else listening?

3864492 I like the story, but I won't be able to help write it, unfortunately.

Contact the author directly, as I am unsure of whether or not he is even aware of this thread. That name again is Timothy48, and the story is Interesting Times.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11