Crossovers 7,365 members · 10,948 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

Part 1: https://www.fimfiction.net/group/41/crossovers/thread/497225/what-dd-classes-would-mlp-characters-be-pt-1
Part 2: https://www.fimfiction.net/group/41/crossovers/thread/497857/what-classes-would-mlp-characters-be-in-dd-pt-2.
Welcome to the third post where I talk about what D&D classes MLP characters would be.
I should probably make a few things clear that some of you may have gotten confused on in my previous posts. Despite what the title says, this isn’t strictly about what is entirely accurate to what they are in the show. We’re focusing on what classes it’d be interesting to see them as, but also feel believable or plausible especially under the right circumstances.
In other words, what makes for an interesting character or what’s good for the party plays just as much a role as what seems accurate when it comes to picking a class for them. So, remember to keep in mind that there are always reasons behind my choices, and I always explain them immediately. So, take the time to skim my explanations if my choices ever come across as strange.

The Third Party - The Young Six

Smolder: Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
I noticed there have been a lack of Fighter characters so far, so I figured I’d start here. I originally planned her to be a Battlemaster, but then I realized there was another character more suited to that. Since I prefer not to use the same subclass more than once, I had to think of something else for Smolder.
Initially, I decided that I wasn’t going to give her any of the magic-based subclasses, my underlying logic being “If she’s already a tough, flying, fire breathing dragon, what more could she possibly need?” So, for a while I was going to either make her a Samurai or a Champion. But when someone pointed out that Dragons in D&D have latent magical abilities it made more open to the idea. As a result, I thought up a more interesting idea in terms of signifying character growth.
The concept here is that for much of her adventures with the team, she remained in the Champion subclass and was content with sticking to the basic “hit stuff good” strategy rather than broadening her skill set. But, after a devastating encounter that splits the party apart, she realizes that she needs to make major improvements in her fighting style, hence why she learns how to utilize magic spells and becomes an Eldritch Knight.

Edit: Just to make sure I give credit where it’s due, shirotora is the one who reminded me of that little tidbit about dragons that inspired me to totally change her subclass and character build. So, let it now be on record that I owe you a thanks for that one Shiro.

Gallus: Ranger (Hunter)/Artificer (Trapsmith)
A lot of people will probably disagree with me on this one and insist he should be a rogue. Though I’d agree that he does have many rogue-ish personality traits and qualities, let’s pretend for a moment that Rogue as a class did not exist; which class would you say best suits him then? Personally, my answer would be Ranger.
Even though Gallus comes across as the kind of guy who knows how to pick locks, I can also picture him living in the woods and having the hunting skills necessary to survive off the animals there. Wants to lead from the front, but only when that means guiding his team through the wilderness or tracking someone. But forgoes leading from the frontlines when combat begins, instead hiding in the bushes or flying up in the air where he can snipe people from a safe distance with his arrows. He’d essentially be played more like an outdoorsy survivalist/trickster rather than a nature-loving diet druid.
One other aspect of his fighting style that is fittingly underhanded is that he likes to set up traps for enemies to fall into. This is where the multiclass comes in. Most of you might be wondering what on earth is a trapsmith? Well, it traces back to a class from 3.5e called the “Combat Trapsmith”, so if you want to get a better idea of how it works I suggest you look it up. But basically, it specializes in using traps on its enemies mid-combat just like its name implies. I’ve seen several people online float around the idea of bringing this class into 5e as an Artificer subclass, but so far nobody seems to have taken the time to actually make a homebrew of it. I imagine this starts out as something Gallus learned as a survival skill, but later during the brief breakup of the party he further hones this skill to the point where he creates more advanced, magically-enhanced traps.

Ocellus: Rogue (Inquisitive)/Cleric (Knowledge Domain)
A changeling’s powers and lifestyle lend perfectly to playing a Rogue, so I was already leaning in the direction when brainstorming ideas for Ocellus. And her as a Rogue was only further solidified once I found the perfect subclass for her.
As part of her background in this “MLP-DnD homebrewed universe” she was born into a changeling hive that operated like a secret mafia controlling the city near it. It was here she was trained as an assassin for much of her early life. Wanting to be free from this life and hopefully be able to enroll in a place of higher education, she concludes her best chance is to run as far away as possible. It’s after doing just that is when she meet the rest of the party.
It’s for this reason that she’s adept in some Assassin’s techniques, but it’s only the lower level stuff and she prefers to utilize the infiltration aspects rather than the killing parts unless she has to. Instead of further honing those assassination skills, she realizes that her greatest talent is her observational skills. Being every bit as curious, inquisitive, well-read and observant as she is in the show, this Ocellus is at her best uncovering plots of intrigue or deciphering the weakness of unidentified monsters.
During the aforementioned time skip brought about by a devastating split in the party, she found a new place in the Knowledge Domain faith. This not only gave her the means to satiate her endless curiosity of the world around her, it also grants spells that further enhances her investigation and infiltration abilities.

Yona: Barbarian (Storm Herald-Tundra)
I knew that I was going to make Yona a Barbarian, but I wanted to do it in a way that was flavorful and thematically fit her character. The answer turned out to be very simple once I remembered that she came from the icy mountaintops of Yakyakistan; an ice-themed barbarian!
I initially was looking through a bunch of homebrews to see what would work, then I remembered the Storm Herald subclass. I can customize it to be entirely Tundra-themed, but even those features aren’t quite cool and flavorful enough on their own. So, maybe later on during that party split she gains an ice-weapon during a solo quest, like the Frost-Brand or something similar.

Sandbar: Cleric (Peace Domain)/Monk (Open Hand)
Sandbar was probably the most difficult character to settle on a concept for, and I’m not sure if there will be one that I’ll be entirely satisfied with. I’d like to hear your guy’s suggestions just to see if there’s logical answers that I hadn’t thought of, but just keep in mind that I’ll still keep my build for Sandbar just cause it fits the team I’ve built so far.
I felt that his personality felt suited to a cleric who tries to use peaceful conflict resolution rather than violence, but then I realized that I can also picture fitting into the archetype of the super zen monk. After several revisions, I finally settled on this particular combo of subclasses you see right now.
This version of Sandbar, for backstory reasons, is a hardcore pacifist and practitioner of the Peace Domain. He’s not only the main healer, he also acts as the team’s defense and it’s diplomatic face. He wouldn’t use offensive spells but will happily heal, protect and boost his teammates so that they can defend themselves and others. Though, he only ever has objections to his friends doing unnecessary violence before all possible options are exhausted. So, he obviously won’t object against literal monsters who can’t be reasoned with.
Unfortunately, he gets a nasty wake up call after suffering his worst near-death experience. After being saved by a temple of monks, he realizes that maintaining and protecting others sometimes requires the use of force against those that threaten them. So, he trains in the Way of the Open Hand (with some additional techniques borrowed from aikido in case he wants to avoid injuring his opponent).

Silverstream: Druid (Circle of Land-Coast)/Sorceress (Storm Sorcery)
It took a little bit to figure this one out, but once I did I was more pleased with the result than any of the others. When I struggled to find any inspiration to base her build on, I suddenly with this for a Coast Druid and Storm Sorceress multiclass after looking at what she essentially was: a mermare and a flying hypogriff; water and air! Once I settled on that, I had fun looking at all the ways I could customize her spell list to fit this theme such as Shape Water, Warding Wind, Fog Cloud, Lightning Bolt, Shocking Grasp, Tidal Wave and even wildshaping into a giant crab.
On top of that, I also liked how this inspired a back story about Silverstream’s family originally coming to power hundreds of years ago by using their natural sorcery abilities to forcibly taking the throne. But, after they and a good chunk of their subjects had to flee from the Storm King, with the help of some Coast Druids. The royal family the made those same druids who helped them escape teach them their craft so that they can use it maintain their power, since their Storm sorcery isn’t as useful from their new home at the bottom of the ocean. So, every member of the Royal Family, Silverstream included, is taught in the ways of the Coast Druid, bending water to their whim.
I imagine that while she doesn’t about her inherent sorcery at the start, she does discover them sooner than everyone else who multiclasses.

Out of all the parties I’ve come up with, this one has gone through the most revisions. A part of me worries that it kind of shows with how heavy it is on multiclassing. Hopefully, when you look at this team you guys think “interesting” and not “messy”. Anyway, next time we’re going to be looking our final party and this one is going to be a little different from the others.

Smolder: I will die on this hill, but I stand by arcane trickster rogue for her. She has been shown time and time again to be an avid prankster. She loves messing with people. I will accept cross classing so long arcane trickster is her main class.

Gallus: I agree that he isn't your typical rogue, but that's why I say he'd be a swashbuckler. While most rogues are all about hiding in the shadows, swashbucklers want to be seen. The want to stand face to face with their enemy and fight them in the open... and then use dirty, underhanded tricks while you're looking at them. Later in life, I see him taking levels in paladin as he starts to more and more appreciate the nobility of fighting to protect the defenseless.

Occelus: I actually like your version better than what I had in mind. Kudos.

Yona: I forgot about the tundra storm herald. I would still accept totem, though.

Silverstream: This is exactly what I said.

Sandbar: Party pet. Yes, he wouldn't be any class, he would be the party's adopted mascot. Like Boblin the Goblin, who the party inexplicably spared despite slaughtering all his friends and family. He just has really good luck and so no attacks against him actually land. I mean, like you said, no class really fit him, but every party needs a pet NPC.

when someone pointed out that Dragons in D&D have latent magical [abilities]

Sounds like a super smart, not to mention handsome, person. Truly someone worth listening to and maybe even follow their stories.

Smolder: I mean, yeah she is a snarky prankster. But she can still be a prankster as a Fighter. Plus, her scaly hide and breath weapon makes her an excellent tank and the team needs more frontliners. If I made her the team’s other Rogue, the team wouldn’t have anyone who can go in guns blazing during their early adventures besides Yona, and they wouldn’t get another one in their later adventures except maybe Sandbar when he becomes (though the way I wrote his character, that’s not really his style). Yes, I could multiclass her with Arcane Trickster, but there’s another problem I have with that which I’ll get to shortly.

Gallus: You already know my answer to this, but if Rogue and all of its subclasses (including Swashbuckler) did not exist which class would you pick for Gallus then? I ask this because I feel we’d both would agree that ranger isn’t that far off for Gallus’ character. Rangers can kind of stealth, but not as good as the rogue; they’re also very dexterous. This, combined with their other abilities makes them a good candidate to pair up with a rogue for scouting, tracking and stealth missions. This allows him to be of help to Ocellus, the team’s rogue, without outshining her. That also brings me back to what I hinted at earlier with Smolder. If I were to go with your idea and make both her and Gallus rogues, that would three rogues on one team; even if their different subclasses, that still feels excessive. Even if I tried to specialize each of their roles based on their subclasses, they’re still going to be a lot of overlap in their duties with that setup, it’s going to be an odd cycle of outshining each other and stealing each other’s thunder. Plus, that would also mean that by the time this series of threads is finished I’d have made five rogues (including one I haven’t talked about yet) but zero rangers. They gotta get at least a little love here, I mean c’mon!
I’m willing to admit that Swashbuckler is very fitting for and I’d once again offer the idea of him being a Ranger/Swashbuckler multiclass if it tickles your fancy; that idea actually sounds pretty cool, like the closest thing to a Robin Hood build in D&D. Though I must point out that my build of Ranger/Trapsmith offers him opportunities to be very cocky and underhanded just like you described. Imagine if you will, Gallus firing several arrows at the enemies and cracking jokes at their expense just to tick them off. They decide rush at him only to end up triggering the trap Gallus had set up for them, putting them at disadvantage and/or suffering major damage. Feels very in-character, wouldn’t you say?

Ocellus: Thanks, I’ll gladly take the compliment. One of the things I like about this build for her character is how I simultaneously get to adhere to and put twists on classic rogue cliches. She is slow to trust and prefers to blend in and not stand out, but that’s not because she’s a broody loner; she’s just shy like her show counterpart. Even though she’s motivated by money for going on quests, she’s not adverse to splitting loot fairly. She also doesn’t turn into a kleptomaniac who can’t help herself… unless the item is a piece of priceless, valuable knowledge like a tome detailing the rituals of a now long-forgotten secret society or the history of an obscure field of arcane study. How common is it to see a rogue who’s a bit of a nerd? (As in the character, not the person playing them)

Yona: I’m glad we kind of agree on the Storm Herald now. Though I am curious why, of all the Barbarian subclasses, Totem Warrior was the first that came to mind for you? My alternative choices (if we’re sticking to canon) would have probably been Ancestral Guardian or just Berserker.

Silverstream: I was surprised when you did give me a similar idea in the form of Tempest Cleric, since I actually already had my Coast Druid/Storm Sorcerer build for her by that time. Though, I must say I like how you achieved the same concept and theme with just a single class. Not saying I retract my build for her, but like I’ve said before I do somewhat regret the heavy amounts of multiclassing this party has.

Sandbar: I don’t necessarily have much problem with your concept there, but it would come across as a cop out on my end if I decided to go with that instead of doing what I promised to do. I’m not exactly satisfied with making someone like him, who’s a core member of the Young Six, into pretty much an NPC who’s just… there. Plus, as per usual, I’ve become a little too attached to my concept for him for that.

Lastly…. yeeeaaah I should’ve credited you directly in that post. Sorry about that. :twilightsheepish:

With Smolder, I would say maybe eldritch knight but with spells from the evocation and illusion schools, instead of evocation and abjuration. She's one to charge in head first and not care about defense, so abjuration wouldn't be her style. Illusion, though, would be right up her alley.

That does sound like Gallus. I love it! Mostly I was saying he would go paladin later in life because in canon he joins the Royal Guard, and they feel paladin-y. However, a triple class is very hard to pull off. Swashbuckler/Hunter would work great as a Royal Guard, too.

I thought totem barb for Yona because the yaks are loosely based on Scandinavian people, and the Scandinavians were big on things like totems and beast spirits. I know the totem warrior was more inspired by Native Americans, but it fits Scandinavians as well. In fact, the word 'berserker' is Scandinavian for 'bear warrior', because they believed they would become possessed by a bear spirit.

With my idea for Sandbar, he wouldn't 'just be there', he would be their deus ex machina. Like I said, he would just have really good luck. The party is stuck in a trap? He accidentally sits on the button to deactivate it. They find a locked door they can't pick? The key literally falls in his lap. I just love the idea of someone who's only skill is 'good things happen to me'.

Also, don't worry about crediting me. If you did, I couldn't have made the joke :rainbowwild:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4