Writers in Harmony 31 members · 6 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

Hello everypony! I just thought I'd update you lovely people with my progress on episode 2. I'm not that far in, but I have done quite a few things and have plans for more. Now, I assumed a few things when I made this. I assumed the jobs the various ponies had and I assumed the good guys had settled into the caverns underneath Canterlot. So, tell me what you think!

“I don’t know what to do anymore.” Twilight sat in a room with a mess of paper all over the place. Well, calling it a room was a stretch. It was a cavern. The forces of Princess Celestia had been forced out of their base after it had been taken in The Battle of Canterlot. Now their base of operations is right under the noses of Nightmare Moon and her forces; in the network of crystal caverns underneath of Canterlot.

Applejack walked into the room. “Howdy Twilight. How are things goin’ down here?”

“I don’t know how to handle this. I’m a scholar, not a war general,” Twilight said.

“But yer brother picked ya’ for this job ‘cause you were a scholar. He said yer brains could help in findin’ a good battle strategy.”

Twilight sighed. “I know Applejack. But even now, years after this war started, I still feel overwhelmed by this.”

Applejack put a reassuring hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “We all are. But there’s nothin’ we can do ‘bout it. C’mon. They’re waitin’ for us down at the meeting.”

Twilight stood up and followed Applejack out of the cave. They walked down the makeshift corridors of the caverns, semi-precious gems shining in the torchlight. It had taken quite a bit of magic and a more than willing dragon to transform the caverns into a war headquarters and living place for the refugee ponies searching for someplace to live out of Nightmare and Discord’s rule.

Soon the duo had made it to a circular chamber where Princess Celestia, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Spike, Soarin’, and Shining Armor were already gathered. Spike was chewing on one of the gems that were so easily found in the caverns.

“Sorry I’m late everypony,” Twilight said.

“It’s quite alright. Now that we’re here, let’s get this meeting started,” the Princess said.

“First item on the agenda; Status report. Shining Armor, how’s the security holding up?” Twilight asked.

It took Shining a moment for him to register what was said. “What? Oh! Right.” He concentrated his magical link with every unicorn on guard. “All clear,” Shining said, then went back to his moodiness.

Twilight’s heart went out to her brother. His wife and daughter were kidnapped after all, Twilight thought. “What about you? Rainbow, Soarin’, Applejack. How’s the training of the Royal Guard going?”

“Everything’s going fine. We’re keeping in shape and making sure we’re in top form,” Soarin’ said.

“Of course you’re the one that needs to keep in top form. I’m always in top form,” Rainbow said. However, a group of glares kept her from continuing.

“Applejack. Are the orchards carrying ok? Everypony’s willing to help?” Twilight asked.

“Ah’ve got more than enough volunteers ta’ help out. Kinda strange really. A whole part of these caves, open to the sunlight with a stream runnin’ through and filled with fertile soil,” Applejack said.

“It certainly was a lucky break for us,” Twilight said. “Fluttershy. How are the wounded holding up?”

“Well, a lot of them are getting better. Many should be up on their hooves in no time,” Fluttershy said.

“That’s good. Rarity, Spike, and Pinkie Pie. How are the citizens holding up? Are they comfortable?”

“They’re doing GREAT!” Pinkie exclaimed. “I’m throwing parties almost every day for all these ponies! First it was a ‘Welcome to the Caverns’ party, then it was a ‘Week Since We Moved Into the Caverns’ party, then it was a ‘Happy Birthday Timmy’ party, then-“

“I think we get the point darling,” Rarity interrupted. “Yes we’re doing our best to take their minds of this dreadful war business. I think they’re comfortable enough.”

“They’re as comfortable as they can be in underground caverns while a war threatens to tear apart them, their families, and everything they’ve ever known,” Spike said.

Twilight narrowed her eyes. She knew what was bothering Spike, and her answer remained firm. “Alright. Next item; the dragons.” Twilight focused her gaze on Spike. The teenage dragon had his mind set on this ludicrous idea.

Spike suddenly banged his fist on the table. “Spike!” Rarity gasped.

He ignored her. “I want to join them.”

“Spike. We’ve been over this. We don’t know what they’re planning. While I admit, sending a spy in to figure out what their game is does sound like a good idea, we don’t even know if they’re on our side or not,” Twilight said.

“They helped us fight Discord and Nightmare Moon’s forces,” Spike argued.

“And they also did a number of damage to our forces as well,” Rainbow Dash interrupted.

“We don’t even know where they are. How do you think you’ll get to them?” Soarin’ asked.

“I’ll find a way!” Spike yelled.

“Spike, we just don’t want to see you hurt. I know I don’t. We need you here to help take care of the citizens. It’s an important job as well,” Rarity said, attempting to persuade him.

“I know it’s an important job. But anypony could do that. This is something that only I could do. I want a role bigger than some caretaker,” Spike said.

Shining brought his hooves crashing down on the table. “It doesn’t matter what you want! You think I’d rather stay down here instead of leading an attack to save my wife and daughter?! 'Cause I don't! I have to stay and do what is best for us in this war! I’m staying here instead of risking life and limb to save my family! Which I would gladly…” He trailed off, silently weeping.

Twilight went over to comfort her brother. “We will save them BBBFF. I promise we will.”

“I know Twiley. I know you’ll find a way.”

“Ahem.” Princess Celestia cleared her throat to get their attention. “I think Spike should go.”

A stunned silence followed this statement. Applejack was the first to find her voice. “Princess. Ah’ respect your judgment and value yer advice with all my heart, but yah’ can’t be serious!”

“I am. We need somepony to get close enough to this new threat to find out what they’re planning. Or in this case, some dragon,” she said.

“Princess Celestia, Spike isn’t just some tool. He’s a living creature. And one of my closest friends,” Twilight said.

“I know all this Twilight, and the safety of my subjects is my top priority, but these dragons threaten their safety. And we need to find out how to protect ourselves from them. Spike is willing to offer his service. If I could see a safer way out, I’d take it. But I don’t.”

Everyone fell silent, and Spike felt the need to speak up. “It’s not like you won’t hear from me. We can still send letters to each other. And Peewee can go back and forth between us if anything goes wrong.”

“Princess, are you sure we should do this?” Rarity asked quietly.

“I’m afraid so. Spike, you better go get your things,” Princess Celestia said.

“He has to leave now?!” Twilight asked.

“The sooner he can leave, the more time he’ll have to find the dragons, and the less time we’ll be in the dark of what they’re trying to gain,” Celestia said.

Twilight was at a loss for words. “I…” She sighed in resignation. “I understand.”

“Are there any more things needed to be discussed Twilight?” Celestia asked.

“No,” Twilight simply answered.

“Alright. Meeting adjourned,” the Princess said. Everyone filed out of the room, but Twilight sat alone, lost in her thoughts.
-----------------------------------------------
Spike was packing his things into a messenger bag. “Let’s see. I’ll take this, and that, oh can’t forget this.”

“So you’re really leaving?”

Spike whirled around and saw Twilight standing in the cave’s entrance. “I still don’t want you to go.”

“Twilight. This is something only I can do. A role only I can play. Something important,” Spike said.

“But your role here is important,” Twilight argued.

“Anyone can do my job,” Spike said.

“I meant being my assistant. And one of my best friends,” Twilight said. Spike smiled. Tears began blurring his eyes. The same went for Twilight. The two locked themselves in an embrace. “Look how big you’ve grown. I remember hatching you as an egg. Our time in Ponyville. And the start of this nightmare. You were by my side through all of it. And now you’re starting your own adventure.”

“I’ll be back Twilight. I know I will,” Spike reassured her. Twilight released from their hug and accidentally knocked over the bag.

“Really Spike. You’re bringing little gems from the caves,” Twilight asked, smiling.

“Hey, they’re small and sugary. Like a gumdrop,” Spike said.

Twilight picked up a pink apron with a heart on it. “I’m not sure the dragons will approve.”

Spike snatched it back. “For good memories.”
------------------------------------------------------------------
Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Shining Armor came out to see Spike off. They were in the orchards, a secluded alcove that opened out into the sky. Shining approached Spike and said, “Alright Spike. I know this is a teary moment, but it’s also the beginning of your mission. You’ll send us weekly reports of what’s going on through Peewee.” As if on cue, Peewee, the once baby phoenix, flew into the alcove, a bright and majestic fire bird. “And you’ll send us letters daily on your status, right?”

“Whatever you say boss,” Spike said with a salute.

“Good then.” Shining Armor cuffed Spike in the arm. “Stay safe kid.”

Rarity was in tears. “Please return soon my little Spikey Whikey.”

Applejack said, “Watch out for yourself Spike.”

“And give those dragons a good one-two from me!” Rainbow Dash said.

“Don’t turn into one of those big mean old dragons while you’re gone,” Fluttershy said timidly.

“I can’t wait for you to come back! Then I can throw you a ‘Welcome Back’ party! Oh I wish I had the time to throw you a ‘Going Away’ party! But duty calls. Best of luck to you,” Pinkie said with a flourish.

“Bye Spike,” Twilight simply said. There was nothing she needed to say. Spike brought them all into a group hug, tearing up.

He adjusted the strap to his bag. “Well guys, I’m off.” He spread out his wings, and took off to the sky, Peewee following behind.

Milkdudes
Group Admin

dude I love it, a wonderful start for episode two. Finally Spike is seen as an equal friend to them, only to leave them V_V. I love the idea of the hidden orchard and everything you wrote here.

The only thing I have been thinking about and I don't know if we should use it or not, but Nightmares goal was to see that the night would last forever right? Wouldn't keeping the sun from raising be her first step in that goal? Would Celestia risk exposing her forces to bring out the sun, Nightmare would stop her right away, and everypony in Canterlot would see the glowing Alicorn of the sun, knowing the location of her forces, could the plants have adapted to night? Like instead of growing by sun light they grew by moonlight? It would be very powerful being Nightmare is controlling it, a full moon every night kind of thing almost a second sun. Thats my one big issue right now, its not to big a deal but something I think we need to address sooner or later.

Hmm. I suppose that's a good point and might be something we'd have to address. But you have to keep in mind Cast, we're still aiming to write the show's last season. MLP is a cartoon. And anything cartoons no matter how ludicrous is still taken as fact and unquestioned. I'm sure the viewers won't necessarily care about how strange it is that the trees are growing in the night when they need sunlight. Well, that is if you don't count the technical and sciency side of the bronies that watch it. Other than that, I'm not entirely sure it'll be that big of a problem.

But if we eventually DO wanna say how the heck that works out, trees growing at night, let's take a scientific approach. Over time, animals, plants, and humans have learned to adapt to the environment they live in and evolve. I'm sure in a magical world, that evolution and adaptation would occur more quickly if something drastic like this happened. I dunno.

Stay frosty my delicious friends. Silver, out! :pinkiehappy:

Whoops! I meant "And anything in cartoons no matter..."
I forgot the "in".

Milkdudes
Group Admin

299726 ya this we can come to later, I was not trying to diminish your work its brilliant, I was just thinking about the raising of the sun and moon yesterday, and realized well Celestia really can't without risking her forces and losing the war kind of important I guess lol

But anyways ya I mean if lightning makes Sap Apples then we can have trees growing at night easy lol. And I figure as time goes on unicorns will change the days themselves, thus ending the circle of Luna and Celestia, kind of going back to their old ways, because Luna and Celestia will not be there in the end, the pony's would have to think for themselves at some point I guess lol

Perhaps because of what happened ya know nightmare and discord magicly takining the horns and wings of the unicorns and pegasi as to gain supramacy....

nature happens....

BC (before celestia and luna) nature was in charge.

so think everfree expanded.

OR we can do this as we said in meeting one...

we have a plot hole? Blame Sonic.

hes story bondo...fill the gaps with his evil goodness

sonic:....:trollestia::trollestia::trollestia::trollestia:

Hi! Billy Mays here with the new and improved Mighty Putty, Sonic Boom edition! Got a plot hole you just can't patch? Well Sonic Boomighty Putty has got it covered! Story line beginning to leave reality? Sonic Boomighty Putty can take care of that too! XD lol

YOU WIN THE INTERNET!!

Milkdudes
Group Admin

299903 Would that not be Billy, Nays? lol but ya you win 10 internets ^_^

299904>>299943
Thank you all! I really do deserve this praise. Well, not really. Anyway, I believe it is Billy Neighs. XD But yeah, that was a good play on words Cast. :pinkiehappy:

gods hes too fun XD so much epic so little time...

sonic:..-watches the commercial- HEY!!! I do not recall signing my name off to this!!??:pinkiegasp:

Milkdudes
Group Admin

299990 if you become to epic you automatically void all copyright laws, get a statue in Vegas, sell your soul to Fox, and have them cancel you mid season. Sorry Sonic, the laws of nature must be followed nothing we can do :rainbowwild:

sonic; well hell...-sighs- can I at least see the statue once?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13