The OC Fanfiction Library 1,405 members · 1,803 stories
Comments ( 22 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 22

For a while now there has been massive hate for Alicorn OC's.

So what makes a good alicorn OC to you?

Honestly, it's any of them, as long as they're not overpowered or stereotypical in general.

Thanks for the. Info for a while now a story idea has been running around in my head involving an Alicorn OC of mine.

That's not easy... Whenever an alicorn pops up in the fandom, there can only be trouble. You run the risk of it "too perfect" which is annoying and uninteresting, seeing very little wrong with the character, ultra powerful, and having a purpose in life that far exceeds the purpose of the mane six. They are usually written horribly, and have very little character motivation or struggle. Like Chloe from Fairlyodd Parents, who I believe encapsulates everything wrong with character types like this.

That isn't to say, however, that this certain character isn't something that could actually be written well. My honest opinion is that the best way to have a perfect character is to do the opposite of the direction of "they have a large purpose in life". In all honesty, have the alicorn still have a character beyond "perfection" and have them experience something we haven't seen yet. Instead of being told their purpose, make them suffer and strive to FIND their purpose.

In that case can I get your oppion on an alicorn that's been running around in my head? Don't worry he's not OP or perfect.

Sakura
Group Contributor

5661695 I personally don't have a strong hatred towards most alicorn OCs, but here's the traits I look for in what I would call a "good" alicorn.

From an artistic perspective, I think alicorn OCs shouldn't be too overly decorative and should stick to one species. In other words, nothing to crazy like a rainbow dragon-chageling-pony. For a good look, I think alicorns shouldn't use to many colors, maybe having six at most that go well together, something like shades of purple or blue. Stay away from red and black color pallets, as this will automatically make people think your character is edgy.

From a literary perspective, a lot of alicorn OC's have gotten a bad rep for being "too perfect." While there have been OC's that have been well received (Nyx from Past Sins comes to mind) most alicorns will fall into the Mary Sue category. To write an legit alicorn OC, make them have flaws that they have to overcome to achieve a believable goal. Stay away from making alicorn OC's related to the main characters or having an overly tragic backstory. Make your character stand out from the rest of all the other alicorn OCs with a good motive, nothing to obnoxious. Make it something the readers can relate to.

Hope this helps!

Well that will depend on how you want the character to be and how you want to make him or her

5661720 Darn it, you beat me to it! :raritydespair:

Thanks for the info. An Alicorn OC had been running around in my head. He comes from another world where he lost his wings during a brutal fight. Known by many as the Alicorn of war.

Alicorn of war. Sounds like one of the Greek or roman gods :D

I was thinking more Persian.

Even still please say what you want to say.

Well if you still need help with an oc I might be help.:D

We'll to behonest I have the look but the back story still needs work.

The backstory is what always gets writers brain's thinking crucially.

Yay I have no idea what to do. All I know is that he loses his wings when trying escape some chains.

5661800 Well Shadow and Sakura already noted all the stuff needed for an Alicorn OC so I really don't have much in mind to add :twilightsheepish:

OK but if anything comes to mind please share it.

5661695 As long as he isn't perfect there isn't much to worry about. Other than all the haters of course.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 22