Fallout Equestria 5,366 members · 2,614 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

Was the character in the original Fallout Equestria Chapter 36 Midnight Shower a stallion or a mare? I ask this because I'm helping SPANIARD-KIWI correct his translations of Fallout Equestria fanfics, including the original.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

I did a quick skim to double-check, and I think it's not specified anywhere. The few places where Midnight Shower is discussed, the story uses neutral language, so it appears their sex is entirely ambiguous.

No encuentro ninguna palabra que señale su sexo, pero el siguiente párrafo me hace pensar que era yegua.
(I can't find any words that indicate her sex, but the next paragraph makes me think that Midnight was a mare.)
And on the matter of irrational fears, I found myself the subject of just such sentiments when a zebra mother screamed and pulled her foal from the bath (and soon the bath house entirely) upon the mere sight of me. When I endeavored to determine what I had done to provoke this rather extreme response, most of the zebras would not meet my eyes out of embarrassment. One finally explained, her face reddened with shame, that the mark of the three streaking meteors on my flank was the source of the zebra’s terror. It would appear that the myths of the zebras have such a hold on the psyche of some that my cutie mark alone is cause for such reaction.
Supongo que ya que estaba en una casa de baños, deberían estar separado por sexo los baños.
No sé si suena rebuscado pero es lo mejor que tengo.
(I guess since I was in a bathhouse, the bathrooms should be separated by gender.
I don't know if it sounds far-fetched but it's the best I have.)

Yes, sometimes that complicates things because English tends to be non-specific and Spanish tediously specific.
Literally my theory that I wrote may sound far-fetched.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

It's possible. But they're also described as public baths, and even in our world, sometimes these were mixed-sex spaces. MLP tends to be more egalitarian, which would seem to lean that way, as well; the closest we see to a bath house in the show is a spa, and we've seen male and female characters in the same spaces there.

Though that might not map properly to zebras, since this might be a cultural practice that differs from how ponies would do things. Still, their culture seems to be at least partially based off Roman culture, and Romans famously had public baths. Unfortunately, whether the sexes were separated for bathing depended on what point in Roman history you're looking at, because it varied over time, so that doesn't really give us any clues, either.

So I guess I'd say it's plausible, but not confirmed. And the same goes for the opposite. So I'd say it's still ambiguous.

That's why I say it could be far-fetched. Because of how logic works in the MLP universe, using our logic may not work.
If I had to choose a way to do the translation, I would try to use ambiguous terms and hope that it does not sound unnatural, especially since in the first person the sex of the speaker is usually specific.
Thanks for your point of view on my theory.

In the Russian translation, Midnight Shower is considered as mare. Because the main characters almost everywhere in MLP content are female.

Knowing Midnight Shower as a mare is something shared by the Italian, French, and Portuguese translations, and by Rich Lancer in Spanish. The only ones in which Midnight Shower is considered a sire are the Spanish translations of David-Irastra and SPANIARD-KIWI.

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

It's probably more popular to assume that Midnight Shower is a mare rather than a stallion, but it's important to stress that it's still an assumption either way. Unless there's something we've all somehow missed in the story, their sex is ambiguous in the original, so writing them as male is no more wrong than writing them as female.

I made some changes to the English wiki to clarify that Midnight Shower can be a stallion or a mare (here and here).

How dare you all assume someones gender.:trollestia:

Also what a random character you've chosen OP.:twilightoops:

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

So... digging up a month old thread and tagging me, just to make a tired joke that's literally the opposite of what I said and the intent of the thread itself. Living up to that user name, I see.

Oh calm down, it was just a joke.:ajsmug:

Phoenix_Dragon
Group Contributor

A joke that was created to punch down, and often repeated by people who don't recognize that. Either way, get a better joke.

Actually I was doing it... not ironically, but definitely absurdist. Because yeah, we don't know who they were, so anything is guesswork. And again, this is one random ass character to ask about

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15