The Conversion Bureau 770 members · 387 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Do they view it with remorse, pretend it didn't happen or even glorify it? If they simply forget about it how does the myth of humanity develop?

Chatoyance
Group Admin

After a hundred years (see my final novel, 'Adrift Off Fiddler's Green'), humans have become integral to Equestria. Humans and their arts, cultures and foods have changed Equestria at almost every level. Ponyville has become a major metropolis:

with an Italian district, a Chinese district, a French district, and so on. All primarily devoted to restaurants, shops and artforms unique to these earth cultures. It had to become so - with eleven billion Newfoal immigrants living in their own cities out in the Exponential Lands, all with needs and concerns requiring an audience with Celestia in Canterlot, Ponyville became a hub of teleport travel. Newfoals from these new lands stream in constantly for audiences, and they need places to stay, food to eat, and entertainment.

Indeed, the number of Newfoals is vastly greater than the original population of the entirety of pre-Bureau Equestria by a magnitude. If anything, human-derived Newfoal culture has become dominant, the true new normal of Equestria.

After a hundred years, the concept of a Newfoal is almost meaningless - there are just citizens of Equestria, and all are one people. The planet earth is just a slightly sad, vague dream of some dying world long ago. Life is a party!

Or, to put it another way, ponies of that time are more likely to eat pizza or tacos than hay. They are more likely to play soccer than hoofball, they are more aware of the nearest local Starcolts than they are of the story of the Wendigoes, and more know about Leonardo DaVinci than know about Starswirl.

All see it one way: once upon a time, there was a species that had destroyed it's planet, and was going to become extinct. Celestia, in her kindness, rescued them, gave them a new home among the ponies already in her Equestria, and taught them all how to live in harmony... and now they are all of us. That is our shared history.

That is how they see it. At the 100 year celebration:

"It was the happiest day that Equestria had ever known. It was certainly nice enough that all of that business with the strange world Celestia tried to save was a full century in the past. It had been a difficult time. But everything was far more splendid and magnificent now!"

Sunny Starscout, "So Equestria accidentally crashed into Earth, except Equestria's magic itself was poisonous to humans, so humans were left with a choice of dying as they were, or become ponies, zebra, griffins, dragons, yaks, hippogriffs, and some other creatures listed here I've never heard of. Diamond Dogs? Abyssinians? Those are made up right?"
---
"And with the New Pups' help that's how Diamond Dogs developed nuclear power."

Chatoyance
Group Admin

Just ponies. Deliberately, because Celestia wanted humans prevented from destroying Equestria, too. And nuclear forces don't and cannot work, as we know them, in Equestria, because there are no 'atoms' as we understand the concept.

In my mythos, Equestria is an alien multiversal transport that broke down in the interstice between universes. The original builders perished, and within the destroyed hulk the artificial intelligences that ran the 'ship' were set free by the crash. One became Discord, two others became Luna and Celestia - though they were not originally called that, and were nothing like ponies at all.

What would one day become 'Celestia' began searching for some concept of order - the interior environment of their craft, something like a holodeck only everything created within the pocket travelling universe is entirely real - had become absolute chaos. The closest thing she could peek at was our universe, and our planet, which she glimpsed in brief observations.

Eventually she found a way to travel, briefly, to earth. She did so in the 13th century, and was almost destroyed by the alien physical laws. Fortunately, she was saved by a human of that time. That human learned the nature of reality from her, and it terrified him, so he extorted a promise from 'Celestia' - that in exchange for her life, she must save humanity from death.

Over 800 years later, the earth is a dying planet over-ravaged by, basically, everything continuing exactly as it is now without any real, massive, super-enlightened change. Global warming, pollution, war, overpopulation, destruction of the biosphere and the death of almost all animals and plants, as well as the death of the oceans means humanity only has three generations left before the human species goes extinct.

This is when Celestia steers Equestria into collision with earth, to fulfill her promise. Humanity is going to become extinct. The situation is hopeless, she can't put things off any more. She promised to save it and she is defined by her promises. But she is not going to repeat the mistakes she made with species she saved before - the dragons, and the gryphons. She will keep her promise, but she won't allow humanity to do the same thing to her fragile pocket universe that they did to their entire planet.

So, she saves humanity, even gives them immortality in the end, but the cost is becoming ponies instead of remaining the kind of brutal ape that destroys entire worlds, and commits war atrocities, and worse, all purely for stockholder value and political power. No big loss.

Your life, or your 'evil'. That is a fair choice to offer a species. Those who chose to give up 'evil' in exchange for life, got to live. Fair dinkum.

Whine about my story all you want: you are going to live it anyway, only there is no escape to pony paradise for you, or for anyone.

Lady, I think your stories get way more flake than they should. I think you have a right to write your stories the way you want. The original poster never said it had to be your continuity. TCB at this point has several. The question was left open ended, and I responded to it with mine, same as yo did.
And my depression is bad enough that I don't need constant reminders to make it even worse.

Chatoyance
Group Admin

I changed all of that - as you can see above - because I realized I was dealing with my own scars and pain, and you didn't need any of that. I'm sorry you saw the original post.

I'm sorry for that unpleasantness. Things are shit for me right now. I'm having a hard time. I don't want to be all ouchy and bitey.

So, she saves humanity, even gives them immortality in the end, but the cost is becoming ponies instead of remaining the kind of brutal ape that destroys entire worlds, and commits war atrocities, and worse, all purely for stockholder value and political power. No big loss.

Your life, or your 'evil'. That is a fair choice to offer a species. Those who chose to give up 'evil' in exchange for life, got to live. Fair dinkum.

An interesting answer for if one wanted a fair shake at this sort of thing. What I had in mind is if the whole affair is buried by time, that Humanity is seen as a kind of cryptid like the fae. But instead of forests it's ruins, or at least where they would've been. A race of ghosts that the stories say should be helped to move on.

Oh, well .... Nice bits from Human cultures (even obscure/supressed/nearly lost) but without nasty bits .....

I was debating myself about posting such links because they just confirm our sad trajectory - but I can't stop myself from wondering *WHY* even under deadly threat humans can't compose themselves? Is it due to their on-going programming by environment, due to schoolyear training as being small part of Machine Civilization (so they used up all their mental and willpower energy on ultraspecialized roles without ability to self-organize as requred in crisis, even if we should know here on our Earth crisis will come? )

Even if our current social behavior not genetically determinated - changing it up en-masse proved to be surprizingly uneasy task - may be due to confusion between some indicators of change and actual change, and/or context specific nature of our behaviour ....so you can't be dogmatically good - Christianity tried and failed, if we accept it tried to socioengineer better humans and was not just coverup political op. (It probably was both for different humans over history - some honestly tried to make better humans, some used power over minds for less han stellar goals effectively contradicting their stated goal ..)

https://energyskeptic.com/2022/venezuela-in-2022-when-will-it-collapse/
I mean, Death squads, dressed in black! Yeah ..it sort of obvious choice given universal parts of human psyche, still ..it gives me very negative kind of chills.

On education and what it really mean in UK context I was reading usual megathread at Stross
https://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2022/08/the-end-of-education.html#comments

As somewhat more light and hopeful visions for future and now I read https://www.resilience.org/ but I can't shake suspection they cherry-pick their positive block so it gives readers some hope ..without hope we (and I) definitely doomed much harder than otherwise, but still political end economical sphere force-dominated with more the same, "business as usual" ( Yes, sometimes painted green, yet even this paint itself might be toxic - trying to make half-metaphor here ...

Oh, and there is new Baffler issue - https://thebaffler.com/issues/no-64
To be honest I found Facebook/Meta description of VR very ..creppy. Not sure what freaks me out more -half-done avatars or how this supposed to be future of $work .. considering concept of "bullshit jobs" and extracting money as only one real motivation for business today ... I found concept of force-seating students in Ready Player One first book equally disturbing - but I hope this detail was written as part of 'accepted by large dystopia' ...not something to celebrate or emulate!

If anything, human-derived Newfoal culture has become dominant, the true new normal of Equestria.

After some more thinking ... This is even more interesting, because ..yes, it seems complete forced westernization like many other trends you traced run its cource to dead end back on old Earth. After Event all those previously supressed elements of non-dominant (but may be much more pony-compatible) elements of old supressed cultures and again non-nasty bits of current, future and past cultures from China, India, Japan, Africa, Australia etc will come to new life too! Without violent clashing .... And because different physics leading to different biology leading to different feelings leading to different societies ..old racism will be toothless, hanging in vacuum without anything to attach ;) There is no part of pony brain screaming 'dangerous outsider' because their reality very much intentionally set differently.

Hey, even hierarchy may survive as harmless 'BSDM' of new world! :pinkiehappy: {or it was BDSM? Pun was not intended, it just happened because I read a lit of Unix history! You know, in ourtimes someape definitely will bring up this so fresh analogy of 'perverted' sex and any dedicated activity, with invariable "find a wife to fsck already" 'advice' ..I dunno if they really think so or just repeat this line because this is their level of funny talk and humor ...}

Also, I just imagined how ponies somwhere discussed old christianity and come to conclusion "they get some bits right, but they definitely not saw how afterlife will be guided by female duo of rainbow-maned superunicorns insted of bored to death old white dude!" :derpyderp2:

Are you asking specifically about the Chatoverse or any setting where humans have a 100% conversion to Equestrians?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11