Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16
Reactception
Group Admin

Story Theme:
Dark Fantasy!

Stories should be first posted/published between November 17th 2023 to December 12th 2023 until midnight. Time zone: United States eastern.

Any length is appreciated, wanna short 1K-3K thing? Go for it. Got that epic you've finished but never uploaded? That’s pretty dope too.

SFW only please.

We made a folder in this group to put your entries in BEFORE THE DEADLINE!

Extra requirement: Must be AU by its very nature and the theme dark fantasy!

If this is your first story ever on fimfiction.net and you're having trouble publishing it on this website, please send a link with view password to Reactception. Message me if you have questions about that.

Please include a link to the contest in your story description.

Judges:
Reactception: https://www.fimfiction.net/user/425344/Reactception

TheInfamousFly: https://www.fimfiction.net/user/549826/TheInfamousFly

The Prizes

1st Place:

• The story will be on the page description for two weeks, and the winner will get to choose the next Sunset x EG Villain competition (can’t be the same one). If they want to, they can co-judge for that competition. But if they don’t want to co-judge, they can of course compete again.

2nd Place:

• The story will get an honorable mention on the group description.
  • The winner will get a review of one of their stories (their choice) by Reactception.

3rd Place:

• The story submitted will be reviewed by Reactception.

Link to the folder for the competition:
https://www.fimfiction.net/group/215660/folder/81270/dark-fantasy-competition-november-2023-to-december-2023

We hope you all enjoy and participate in this banger competition!!!

This will be interesting to do.

Mockingbirb
Group Admin

I wondered, what exactly is "dark fantasy?" So I did a web search...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_fantasy

A strict definition for dark fantasy is difficult to pin down.

'Thank you, Wikipedia.' :raritydespair:

Seriously, maybe our judge would like to say something about what dark fantasy means to them? :twilightsmile:

Dark fantasy is to me, Baba Yaga and Hansel and Gretel. It's the place where fairy tales come from, where magic isn't just mysterious, it's cruel. Now there are pieces of modern dark fantasy like Dark Souls and Warhammer, where magic has doomed the world and where the dead rise to fight unending wars against the living. But to me those are closer to gothic horror. Personally, I prefer Grimm's fairy tales because they are closer to folk horror. There is no right and wrong in those stories. There is only cleverness and stupidity, and humans (and animals) have to use every bit of cleverness they have to squeeze out of the grasp of giants, ogres, dragons and witches.

Okay I think I got something, but just to be safe would something like Krampus qualify?

Reactception
Group Admin

I think he counts

Ok thank you for letting me know Ractception! I had a story in the making about something along that but didn't know if it would count as dark fantasy and not straight horror.

Mockingbirb
Group Admin

We've only got about 3 7/8 days left! :twilightsmile:

AHHHH! I least found a good villain and just because it's a crossover due to the theme.

I had an idea for this, but I am way too busy with university finals to actually do this. Good luck to everyone participating! :raritystarry:

Mockingbirb
Group Admin

Question for the contest: Considering that MLP:FiM takes place in a world of magical ponies, are most or all MLP stories fantasy stories already?

Comment posted by Mockingbirb deleted Dec 5th, 2023
Mockingbirb
Group Admin

I MISREAD THE CALENDAR (or I looked at the wrong contest schedule, idk.)

WE HAVE ABOUT A WEEK LEFT.

The REAL contest schedule says:

Stories should be first posted/published between November 17th 2023 to December 12th 2023 until midnight. Time zone: United States eastern.

I can't believe no one corrected me on this! :sob:

Mockingbirb
Group Admin

I apologize for posting the WRONG number of days until contest close, before.
(Since really we have about a week left, to December 12th.)

Don't worry about it my friend. Everyone makes mistakes every now and then. I myself tend to leave words out when writing a fanfiction story.:pinkiehappy:

Got my story finished! Rather interesting thing I wrote to my heart's content as I wrote it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16