Fillydelphia Oracle: Literature Reviews 174 members · 138 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
ScopingLandscape
Group Contributor

I’m coming at you from the Fillydelphia Oracle, a renewed version of the Pens and Couches review group.

This is part three of our Valentine’s Review Bomb. Please check out part 1 here, and part 2 here.

Moondancer has always looked up to Twilight, she was perfect, not like her. How could she ever even hope to think she had a chance with the brightest star of them all? Maybe moon and star could align...if fates intertwine.

Preliminary Thoughts

Twilight and Moondancer? I suppose it makes sense, of course, but I’m curious now.
Moondancer seems to feel a bit inferior to Twilight? Don’t know how that’ll play out, though.
It’s gonna be an interesting one to dive in, that’s for sure.

Characters

Moondancer is almost certainly the main character of the story. She’s constantly nervous, constantly on edge. Her self-doubt is weighing her down. I think she is wonderfully characterized as this always worrying, always second-guessing person. Her thoughts, being shown in italics in this story, have a general feeling of self-doubt:

What if… I’m not good enough for her?
What if the gift isn’t good enough? What if I’m not good enough?
Am I good enough?

We don’t see as much of Twilight’s characterization, because, of course, the story is told from Moondancer’s viewpoint. She feels like how the canon Twilight would be portrayed. Not necessarily a bad thing, however, as she provides the needed calmness amidst the storm of emotions that is Moondancer’s thoughts.

Prose

Most of the story goes by without anything that would raise the eyebrows too much. Word choice is quite on point, but of course, there are a few grammatical and spelling mistakes that caught my eyes.
Take this sentence:

It wasn’t afraid to shine; even though it was cold and unforgiving, it presevered.

The underlined word should have been persevered, as in, keep on doing something.
Or this small paragraph:

Moondancer felt the Princess kissing her, and she leaned into the kiss, closing her eyes and embracing the stars. It was then in that moment she no longer feared rejection. She leaned into the kiss, tilting her head, and diving in.

The repetition of the phrase “leaned into the kiss” in such a small paragraph gives me some pause.
There are some other things as well, such as "Hearth's Warming" being a bit weirdly capitalized, and some errant commas, but otherwise, I don't think there's any particularly alarming errors.

Plot

I think, as a one-shot, it achieves what it sets out to do without sacrificing much of its pacing and flow. It doesn’t feel too fast, but I cannot help but have this feeling of some parts being just a slight bit faster than I would have liked, but of course, that’s my feeling.

Afterthoughts

It was an enjoyable read. It being from Moondancer’s point of view makes for a delightful window into her mind, and Twilight is very much Twilight.

Recommendation Score

I think somewhere between 6 and 7 would do. While it is a good read, it’s not such a good read that would make me go and tell everyone about it, but it is a good read still.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1