Xenofiction 82 members · 89 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Something I had on my thinking desk for some time now ..

I tend to be interested in non-human beings (dolphins, whales,dogs, horses, wolves, and all kind of beings popular or less popular). It all started from little remark about possibility of bottlenose dolphins having their language in old encyclopedia (translated hypothesis put forward by John Lilly, in 1965 it was relatively new, it also was new for me in 1980x/90x when I was reading this thankfully NOT current set of volumes [current events in USSR were ..not pretty, as I can say now with some hindsight]. I followed this idea from reading into actual dolphinarium, learned about negative effect captivity have on not just dolphins but basically anyone, lost a lot of then-friends over it, found few more sensitive friends, attempted to actaully help to liberate two captives (Delfa and Zeus) , whole thing crashed fatally, I turned to pony fiction and some variation of politics BECAUSE it become clear to me human's unability to hear/feel feelings of captives over voice of human authority of the moment has if not very same but very similar mechanism to infamous Milgram experiment. In other words we are dangerously blocked. And there is no shortage of humans who think exploiting this built-in weakness is great thing to try! :(

But back to kids ... well, my main problem is - we fail to actually raise honest and ethically-thinking generation. If we give benefit of doubt to Christianity, and look at it as project to make better humans (and not just conspiracy for world domination and sheepification of masses) - then, as project it failed spectaculary :(. And so did intellectualism - few humans can think, as opposed to just repeating popular/authoritative statements :( How to test the difference? Add some novel idea, and watch in horror spectacular fail ....

May be one can imagine for example virtual ponies (sapient beings who have different mass psychology than current and past humans) to actually outnumber some generation of humans and thus breaking this unhealty cycle we currently trapped in. Good idea for fiction, but in reality? Artificial/digital/computer-based persons very far from reality of spying shitty algorithms we today call "AI".

So, I thought about art, but books are not everyone's favourite art form, sadly. So, more generalized revolutionary artform must be more universal. May be yes, comics and animation ...but .... we already have plenty of very good films 'with message' [0]. They still not motivate humans to actually be up-different when it really matters. :(

May be whole idea of making 'virtual reality' around growing humans was very old. But ironically it seems assumption behind it ("humans are defined by environment") not absolute total, and of course reality on TV screen/cinema/book/magazine etc still seriously clash with everyday reality. You can't fake Equestria.

But may be if we stop trying to make white lies to our childrens and let them figure out what is good for society (even fictional one, but complex, at level of real society we live in - so my interest in detailed xenofiction.. I also just like details, and subtle discoveries.) on their own - they will be more ready to resist current shitty tendencies? Kids are not dumber than Koko (gorilla), they have their periods of development not just for lulz but for figuring out how world work. So, give them that? Like make artificial art middle-language, anew, instead of reusing often poisoned tropes and myths of our dominant world?

Unfortunately, mass media is quite heavily biased - profit-defined, filtering out all 'too far' ideas, labour-intensive (when it comes to animation). So, no easy plug-and-play solution ..

But may be if more humans will think along those lines and not only, something will at least be attempted?

[0] - https://deepfocusreview.com/definitives/brazil/ or Black Lagoon (anime, with its dialogue about real role of money). Or really many others .. sadly as of yet they all, together or solo, or in packs unable to up-convert _actions_ of masses/majority of humans .... And being good minority hurt even in literal sense :(

But back to kids ... well, my main problem is - we fail to actually raise honest and ethically-thinking generation. If we give benefit of doubt to Christianity, and look at it as project to make better humans (and not just conspiracy for world domination and sheepification of masses) - then, as project it failed spectaculary :(. And so did intellectualism - few humans can think, as opposed to just repeating popular/authoritative statements :( How to test the difference? Add some novel idea, and watch in horror spectacular fail ....

The fuck? You think that's a younger generation problem? That's the older generations. The people who didn't grow up with the internet and unregulated information access. All the internet has done, is air their stupidity out and allow them to spread it to other stupid people easier. Plenty of humans can think, it's just coddled people from the 60s don't feel like they need to. The pressure was never there so the neural connection was never made.

May be one can imagine for example virtual ponies (sapient beings who have different mass psychology than current and past humans) to actually outnumber some generation of humans and thus breaking this unhealty cycle we currently trapped in. Good idea for fiction, but in reality? Artificial/digital/computer-based persons very far from reality of spying shitty algorithms we today call "AI".

We're not stuck in a cycle. We're at a paradigm shift and all the ignorant are being left behind.

So, I thought about art, but books are not everyone's favourite art form, sadly. So, more generalized revolutionary artform must be more universal. May be yes, comics and animation ...but .... we already have plenty of very good films 'with message' [0]. They still not motivate humans to actually be up-different when it really matters. :(

The bystander effect is nothing new. Its primate psychology basically, we've survived with it since our inception, we'll survive in spite of it.

May be whole idea of making 'virtual reality' around growing humans was very old. But ironically it seems assumption behind it ("humans are defined by environment") not absolute total, and of course reality on TV screen/cinema/book/magazine etc still seriously clash with everyday reality. You can't fake Equestria.

What?

But may be if we stop trying to make white lies to our childrens and let them figure out what is good for society (even fictional one, but complex, at level of real society we live in - so my interest in detailed xenofiction.. I also just like details, and subtle discoveries.) on their own - they will be more ready to resist current shitty tendencies? Kids are not dumber than Koko (gorilla), they have their periods of development not just for lulz but for figuring out how world work. So, give them that? Like make artificial art middle-language, anew, instead of reusing often poisoned tropes and myths of our dominant world?

Xenofiction requires you to stop thinking as a human, which, as a human, can be extremely difficult. Nevermind the social upbringing of the child bleeding into their every thought. That's why xenofiction isn't the most popular thing.

Unfortunately, mass media is quite heavily biased - profit-defined, filtering out all 'too far' ideas, labour-intensive (when it comes to animation). So, no easy plug-and-play solution ..

But may be if more humans will think along those lines and not only, something will at least be attempted?

[0] - https://deepfocusreview.com/definitives/brazil/ or Black Lagoon (anime, with its dialogue about real role of money). Or really many others .. sadly as of yet they all, together or solo, or in packs unable to up-convert _actions_ of masses/majority of humans .... And being good minority hurt even in literal sense :(

Sounds like an issue of capitalism stifling art and human expression for the sake of profit. That's not a new phenomena.

The fuck? You think that's a younger generation problem?

- unfortunately places supposedly composed from younger generation (twitter, reddit, 4chan ...) somewhat doesn't give me impression of new humanity I wish to live alongside with (but I have no choice on this ....)

Fauster
Group Admin

There are some things that need to be clarified. Used terminology is to vague or have multiple meanings,

honest and ethically-thinking generation

Define honest and ethically-thinking generation. Give some examples.

white lies to our childrens

Give some examples.

let them figure out what is good for society (...) on their own

Children can not figure it out by themself. That's why they are children. They lack responsibility, because they just don't understand long term consequences. If they have their way, then they will eat ice cream and candy for every meal, won't go do school, won't go to bed in time, won't brush their teeth. "You can not squeeze blood out of a turnip" or "Solomon does not pour from empty" as they say. There will be smart children, that will figure it out on their own, but for one small child there will be hundreds dumber, childish (duh) and irresponsible ones.

Example: single mothers in America and in other western countries. No father, mother don't care about child or have to work hard to provide for it, so she can not raise her child. Child is on their own and we see that it seeks models to copy, to learn. And mostly it ends in jail, commiting crime, joining gangs etc.

Children described can't make "honest and ethically-thinking generation", but I will wait for your definition.

Children can't figure it on their own. That is why they are called children and need parents to raise them correctly.

Sounds like an issue of capitalism stifling art and human expression for the sake of profit.

Mass media =/= art.

Capitalism is great for art. Look at deviant art, partenon, comic artist. There are enormous amount of artist that produce great art and can provide for themself with it. There wasn't a better time to be artist. You can write comics, paint, animate, make comedy, and make a living with partenon, paypall, subscribestar and so on. Earlier artist needed patrons, sponsors to make art (they still need to eat), and art was scarce and it was limited to what their patron wanted. Now you have freedom to make whatever you want. We have better tools (tablets and photoshop rather than canvas), more opportunities (more audience willing to watch our art and our cost of living allow us to make art) and we are wealthy enough, to buy said art from artist.

Define honest and ethically-thinking generation. Give some examples.

- here lies problem - I don't think any significant group of humans today consistent enough for using them as example. I can point in generic direction of say Anthony Weston, Will Kymlicka, Ken leVasseur, Ben White, Alexander Nevzorov (hopefully), Erich Fromm as examples of humans whose thinking I considered ethical - but they mostly give generic direction, individual examples - very few follow them. By being dishonest i mean ... all this PR and greenwashing and 'online activism' (not backed by real actions) - plenty of counterexamples ... It tend to be vague because specific negative examples too numerous. So numerous people prefer to look away ... and redefine things in more optimistic light. If you ever tried volunteering for any project - you already know things at inside doesn't match external description ..or even internalized hope.

white lies to our childrens

Give some examples.

- 'dolphins scientist are intellectually honest and if asked nicely and with explanation never will hurt dolphins intentionally?' (Arthur Clarke, "Dolphin Island", and all this 'kids sci-fi' since them ... 'Flipper' (1996), SeaQuest DSV, ...) ... At this point I'm not sure if those are intentional lies or just humans prefer to think this way, because thinking any other way ....is uneasy. At this point 'everything will be OK' is by itself ...quite unrealistic statement, while probably if you 'truely believe (c)' it will be not lie. Just something dangerously unaccurate.

Children can not figure it out by themself.

- yet they have no other way ..they figure out ..something .... because no-one will live their lives for them!

If they have their way, then they will eat ice cream and candy for every meal, won't go do school, won't go to bed in time, won't brush their teeth.

- well, you equate specific discipline with learning .... this ...is ..popular way of framing it. My problem with it - yes, humans become quite good at making externality relatively clean - yet something like introspection, esp. in painful directions is not something widespread .... even less helpful actions. But I was talking mostly about 'film reality', where instead of making extensive use of all our shared historical laggae (attempt at pun) we let story unfold, without putting 'helpful' labels, or oversimplifying to ..pardon, cartoonish level. A bit like situation in https://www.fimfiction.net/story/95461/a-voice-among-the-strangers - but for younger audience ?

Anyway, this is one of those ideas I may have, but no-one might be able to execute ..... :|

Capitalism is great for art.

- well, only in limited sense? I saw this viewpoint here but I think it doesn't really explains depth of problem. Yes, there is a lot of non-standard imaginery and music and short films and stories today.

My point is .. ALL THIS still not compensating for other side of equation, where real world shit happens .... See also second blogpost there on same subject, and may be read whole blog .... {I'm reading it backwards in search of some specific post}

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6