Cinematic Adventures 245 members · 24 stories
Comments ( 58 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 58
Dramamaster829
Group Admin

GOOD MORNING, FIMFICTION FANATICS!!! This is the Dramamaster829; Critic, Actor, Writer, Motivational Speaker and Occasional Singer, keeping you up to date with the latest news for the 'Cinematic Adventures' and beyond. Ever since this series began, fans have been asking many questions but the biggest one, much to some annoyance, is this: IS this series a 'spin-off' of the ever popular 'Disney Chronicles' series on Fimfiction? It has been made perfectly clear that when this series was developed, sure it features the Mane Six and Spike transported by some modern means into worlds based on our favorite movies, but the goal was to commit to a series that stands out 'entirely' from another series' popularity, to attempt some projects not so much to follow a pattern but because it follows what an artist wants, and at the same time discovering if there was a way to find material that didn't make it into the original release and somehow apply it into 'this' rendition. As 'The Wizard of Oz' development process reaches it's end, we prepare to take an examination of a recently announced feature that is slightly different and based on one of the most popular cartoon stars of all time...

Scooby Doo

(Also the title of the movie)

The story will introduce the Mane Six (And Spike) to Mystery Incorporated, a group of four young adults and a dog who dedicated their lives to solving mysteries (Hence the name of their company). Following a two-year disbandment (Mostly do to 'personal' reasons), these super-sleuths reunite as they, along with some new friends, are summoned to investigate a mystery at a popular horror resort (No, this has nothing to do with 'Halloween Horror Nights'). While the original Scooby Doo run was set primarily in the sixties (Hence the dialogue that remains popular today), the cast for this live action movie takes place in a more 'modern' environment especially to promote further character development out of a certain member of the group (Who let's just say has spent 'years' being the stereotypical 'damsel in distress'). It was one of the first attempts to not only have a live action adaptation of Scooby Doo and his friends, but it was also one of the many that put our favorite canine companion on the big screen (With a new animated movie set to come out in a few months time). No word of any guest stars has been determined at this time, but that is slated to change in due time.

Before I really got into the whole "MLP" deal (Back when we were still stuck in the dreaded Era 3), Scooby Doo was one of my favorite cartoons growing up and I've seen 'tons' of interpretations of the show (But the original classic, along with it's rendition of the theme, remains my favorite... Though 'Mystery Incorporated' is a close second). So at the time, when I heard they were putting 'Scooby Doo' onto the big screen and upon seeing the teaser (Which fooled me into thinking we were having a Batman movie), I was excited when I bought my ticket for the movie. Now when I 'did' see it, I will admit there were certain elements I liked and the cast selected did a pretty decent job. But then there were certain comedic choices I wasn't crazy for (Mostly the toilet humor in that 'one' scene) and not to mention this was one of those movies that would forever prove how much Warner Bros. hates their 'one' co-star (The little guy who 'did' make Scooby Doo relevant again when they were about to cancel him altogether). It's not one of the best Scooby Doo movies I've seen in my life, but in the end I still enjoyed it and it remains a guilty-pleasure to me (I'd much prefer this adaptation and it's sequel as opposed to the 'other' live action movies).

Overall, 'Scooby Doo' has a stellar cast of characters (Specifically Matthew Lillard as 'Shaggy') though it doesn't help bits of the plot are predictable and the jokes don't always hit the mark. But we must acknowledge that this movie exists in it's own universe and whether we accept the events of this movie as canon or not we must always remember why we all come together to watch 'Scooby Doo' in the first place. As a Hannah-Barbara based movie, there's something about this to enjoy and so long as there is a mystery to solve or a bad guy to resolve at least it's close to the Scooby Doo we all know and love. Not 'everyone' loves this movie and while it may fall short in some areas, there's a reason why it pops up among fans every now and then. And given that this would provide an opportunity for one of the most famous groups of the cartoon era to team with a certain group of ponies (And their friends) who have made a name for themselves for over nine years, the opportunity to work with one of the most experienced mystery-solving sleuths is an opportunity too big to pass up.

But the big question remains: What do YOU think? Be sure to leave a comment below at your earliest convenience.

Until then faithful readers, this is the Dramamaster829... Signing off!

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

What do you think of Scooby doo design

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Yeah the sequel dose seems more like a Scooby doo movie while this one seems like a parody funny enough this was suppose to be a pg 13 parody with more adult comedy Daphne and velma would have been in a relationship and shaggy was gonna be a stoner with more drug references however after warned bros realised that kids would want to see the film the movie was tone down for a younger audience

The film and its sequel was written or co-written by James Gunn. When you first saw the film, did you think he would go on to make great things in the future or were you surprised many years later when looking up his name to see what films that he worked on including the Scooby Doo films?

extremeenigma02
Group Admin

Personally for me this idea came to me because when I was growing up I really used to enjoy this movie and it’s sequel. Also I found some very big similarities between Mystery Inc. and our pony heroes. Rainbow Dash and Fred are the cool, cocky, brash, and yet devoted members. Daphne and Rarity are the fashionistas, the always look good but not afraid to get down and dirty. Velma and Twilight are the brains of the groups, always in books and coming up with great ideas. Pinkie and Shaggy are the party guys who love to have a good time and laugh. Scooby and Fluttershy are the meek and easily scareable but they are also willing to step up and be brave and fight.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

What about Applejack

extremeenigma02
Group Admin

Never really thought of anything for Applejack. I’m just making comparisons

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Hmm... Oh well, I suppose Applejack can still be useful somehow. Perhaps in a way she can be the glue to put some sense into the groups when the bonds between them start to strain. Especially with Mystery Inc., considering that in her mind the method they chose to end their friendship may seem utterly foolish and self-centered. Well, 'technically' Shaggy and Scooby never quit the team... They didn't even have a say and practically begged them not to leave (Well, Shaggy did).

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Surprisingly sense Scooby and shaggy are ones who don't want to be chase by ghosts

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

If I were to think of several members of the group who wouldn't hesitate to quit, you'd think Shaggy and Scooby would be the ones to do it. But I suppose the major reason they stick around with their friends so often is mainly because even though they may be dragged into these mysteries against their will at least they make them feel 'wanted'. Most other people would want to be associated with the likes of this pair of misfits. No wonder that one Scooby Doo trailer showed Shaggy all alone on a beach with two sandmen (Beach form of snowmen) to represent a pair of parents who probably didn't show up... And long before Scooby came into his life.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Speaking of which what do you think of the trailer

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Which one? The teaser or the official trailer?

Because as far as the teaser goes, I admit when I first saw it I immediately assumed it was Tim Burton's attempt to branch back in Batman (Or that 'other' guy who was rather infamous making Batman movies before that year). But as soon as I got a first look of Scooby Doo's design, I admit it was pretty decent. It's not the most cartoonish representation of the chap, but if I had to choose between 'this' design and the one from the 'other' live action movies... Yeah, I'll stick with this one.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

I ment the Scoob trailer

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Oh... That one... I don't know.

Shaggy doesn't say 'like' in any of his sentences. I know they are taking a more modern approach, but you'd think they try to stay as close to the characters as possible... If not 'probable'.

Scooby doo was my favourite character in my life that seeing this made me feel nostalgic and happy, because well despite being scared Scooby always come to save the day in unexpected way.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I loved the parts in the cartoon where Scooby Doo would always try to steal Shaggy's super-duper sandwich in almost every other episode.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

find it funny that scrappy doo wasn't even a puppy but had Gland Disorders

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Well, on that note it's one way to interpret the subject in question. What's more tragic in regards to the subject is that it forever supports the reputation they ultimately get that would carry on forever.

Comment posted by Tim Ribbert deleted Dec 21st, 2019
Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

What do you think of Scooby doo design in the film?

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

You know Mr. Ribbert, I grow tired of answering this question over and over...

But if you REALLY want to know what I bloody think... I'm okay with the design. All right?

If I had to compare his designs with these movies and the 'other' live action adaptation that featured those REALLY big eyes... I've got to stick with this one. I may not always like 'realism' in any form of media, but the design for Scooby Doo not only makes him look close to a great dane but gives him character.

Now PLEASE... I don't want to have to repeat myself. Okay?

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin
Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Some reason I never turn into fred prinze jr... Well fred jones because his character felt like a asshole i mean the way he takes the credit from others

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Yeah, Fred Jones in this continuity is a bit of a jerk. I mean Velma was the one who concocted the plans to capture the Luna Ghost in the opening and Fred says it was part of his plan. And for what? To have his pretty mug on the news? At least by the end, he decides to give Velma a chance to have her moment.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

You know that tv studio that velma and free find and that weird traveling guide video i think that the studio was used to basically to teach the monsters how to live in society because if we are all honest the monsters are complete idiots

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Yes I am well aware of that scene. That wasn't just featured for giggles after all. It's one thing for these monsters to capture a group of gullible college kids, to inhabit their bodies after stealing and storing their souls, but let's face it... These monsters are not the sharpest tools in the shed. They needed a means to blend in with human society, even if it meant using some outdated guide on proper behavior and etiquette. Thereby giving the Scooby Gang a clue that something is going on and there's a reason why the college kids were acting weird.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Yeah when they do get into the bodies they seem to be speak in a dated way like they were still stuck in the 80s

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

More like in between 80s and 90s. I should know because I grew up during this era, but even I didn't speak that way growing up as a lad.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Also for some reason they call souls plasma energy they not once called them souls for some reason

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Yeah, I don't get it myself. But then, Hollywood does choose to take a few creative liberties. Guess they figured calling them souls would scare the kids away.

Pixar: *Besides a 'Soul' poster* Hold my beer!

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

One scene i don't get its when Scooby dresses as a old lady to get on the plane to spooky island here are my problems
1 the plane is precisely a spooky island plans So i there shouldn't any problems getting him on board
2 the reason he can't go one the plane is that big dogs are not allowed everyone knows Scooby doo and they know he's no ordinary dog so what gives
3 wow fred is the most thickest idiot to think Scooby was actually a good lady

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

1. You would've think if it was arranged that the famous 'Mystery Inc.' were to arrive in Spooky Island, you'd think it wouldn't be a problem to get a dog onto the plane. Unless they actually thought 'Scooby Doo' was just a mascot and they only needed to bring those 'four' meddling kids. I don't know, the continuity of the circumstances kind of makes it a slight confusing because you'd think by now they know how essential Scooby Doo is to the team. Unless the plan was, 'We'll let the dog onto the plane, but all animals are required to be in that one compartment where all the other animals traveling abroad go to.'. But if Scooby Doo did not want that and wanted to sit as close to Shaggy as possible, desperate times called for desperate measures.

2. I don't know. Again, the movie can be a bit confusing at times. Though if you ask me, nowadays Scooby Doo acts more human than a dog in the more later cartoons. Perhaps this was just an excuse to orchestrate a classic 'Scooby Doo' moment where the dog takes on a disguise, mostly a lady's wear. Which is quite common in cartoons for men to dress in ladies clothes, though some audiences may speculate otherwise.

3. We never know what to expect from Fred Jones. Sometimes we get the guy who's clever enough to build those insane traps, sometimes we get some guy who's so dim that he mispronounces certain foreign descriptions that mean something else, or sometimes we just get him accusing some red-haired kid of committing a crime just because he's the local bully. There's almost no consistency when it comes to getting a character for Fred, and in this case we end up with a guy who's... A bit dim. But if Fred could easily be fooled into thinking Scooby is a lady, just wait till we get the sequel.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Well at we can agree on that

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I guess the major reason they had Fred portrayed in such a manner is to display a more 'modern' Fred Jones, rather than the one we are used to. Fair considering they couldn't even get the original 'Fred Jones', Frank Welker, to even get a 'small' cameo.

Comment posted by Tim Ribbert deleted Dec 29th, 2019
Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

I can guess why people don't like scrappy it's because when the gang gets scared it's feels like they are in danger but when one of the group acts like a fearless idiot wanting a fight its breaks any tension i mean I know he saved the show from cancellation but still

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Many say it's because he represents the 'Cousin Oliver' effect. When a show is reaching the point where it's no longer as popular, they try to add someone younger to the cast to get audiences invested. Usually a visiting relative or old family friend who ends up sticking around. That kind of direction can go one or two ways. That same character can help progress the story of the main cast or so much attention is focused on that one character and no matter how hard they try to work with this character, there are certain quirks that bugs audiences so much that they treat them like some sort of... Pariah, if that makes any sense.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

What do you think of the song where are you by shaggy the singer not the character

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

It's a standard hip hop rendition of the popular tune. Not really a huge fan of the song, but I'm sure it's fine for parties.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

How odd the shaggy was a!so Sebastian in the little mermaid musical connecting to separate series unexpectedly

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Honestly, wasn't a fan of the choice to cast 'Shaggy' as 'Sebastian'. If I were to prefer anyone other than Sebastian's original actor, I preferred the styling of his Broadway portrayal and that guy could really hit those high notes.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Yeah I don't think he really sounded like Sebastian or after like him

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Then again, it really wasn't much to act since he only appears for the musical portions of that event. If anything, I felt like I was given the middle finger with that special. When they said a combination of the movie and the Broadway musical, I expected 'all' of it to be live like the past few times they did a live televised show of popular musicals. But instead, it was like one minute I'm watching the original movie and the next minute it's what they call a live performance of one of their songs (And very little of it came from the Broadway show).

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

When Scooby pretending to to be a suitcase i thought he said run suitcase instead of I'm a suitcase

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Yeah, it's almost hard to understand what 'Scooby Doo' is saying. But if what we think is true, Scooby Doo was trying to tell himself that he's a suitcase so the monsters wouldn't notice him. Unfortunately, his attempts to sneak away drew the attention of at least one of them. If there's one thing to note about Scooby Doo, however, despite the danger and terror his cheeky nature gets the best of some monsters he encounters.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Because we cannot have anything 'Scooby Doo' related without a classic chase sequence. I'll admit while I didn't understand the lyrics of the song, it is pretty catchy. Plus there's a ton of funny moments during this one sequence alone.

Like randomly switches of soul?

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Oh yeah for sure. I'm wondering if the cast had a fun time during that scene, pretty much poking fun at each other.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 58