Chess Players of Fimfiction 38 members · 62 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Samey90
Group Admin

Last week I played in a rapid chess tournament and I got paired against some kid who played accelerated Dragon Sicilian. He played pretty well and at some point I retreated my queen badly and realised that it's nicely set up in the way of a pawn fork. He found it. Down a piece, I managed to win a second pawn, shut down everything and basically complicate and stall him until, in time trouble, he miscalculated and a tactics allowed me to get a piece back and win the game. After the game, he angrily set up his pieces back and ran out of the playing hall.
Fast forward to today, I'm in a rapid chess tournament in yet another town. I didn't play very well (I got a fever after getting back home). In one round I got white pieces against some kid. I sat at the table and he was like, "hey, we played last week". Luckily I didn't tell him that for me it was Tuesday Saturday. Same kid, of course. We repeated the Rossolimo-turned-accelerated Dragon line from the last week and we reached some meh but manageable isolated queen's pawn position (apparently my symptoms include fever, sore throat, shivers, and IQP). Nearing time trouble, the kid decided to rush things a bit and took my pawn, apparently assuming that I wouldn't trade my queen for both of his rooks.
I actually did and he ended up in this complex endgame with seconds on the clock, ending up losing first the queen and then the game. He took it better this time, but I'm afraid he may come back stronger.

Yeah, your the antagonist in his story, and usually the hero defeats the villain in the third encounter. Be prepared to lose the same way as he did. :derpyderp2:

Samey90
Group Admin

Luckily I play Caro-Kann.

orp

7767622 7767655
Time to rehearse your villain speech and invest in a sphynx cat to pet while reciting it.

Samey90
Group Admin

I think Alekhine had a cat he brought to the games. When one of his opponents protested, Alekhine showed up to the game in a sweater with a cat on it.

orp

I completely forgot that. Yes, the photos are amazing. He literally named the cat Chess. (I was a little sceptical, but it looks like he basically used the English word "chess" as a name.)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6