The Writing Process 280 members · 902 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

Have you ever discovered a song that fits perfectly into a narrative you're working on? Like, you can actually see the scene play out to, or because of this song?

Example:

My character and her brother are lost in another world after arguing with one another. Neither of them has apologized to the other, but both of them feel guilty. To try and get her mind off it, she visits a local tavern. The scene was always supposed to play out in a huge brawl, but I never found a reason to get it started. Until I listened to this song. Now, it's clear as day. The song makes her feel sad, guilty and just overall bad, and with Anger being her go-to emotional state, she storms off after hearing a Bard play it, kicking a chair away and starting the fight.

It just sucks that I can't use it.

Oh, all the time. In fact, many of my scenes/chapters come to me while I'm listening to music. I oftentimes ascribe characters theme songs as well and listen to them while I'm writing that character to help get me into their mindset. On the flip side, it happens so often, that a particular song will spark some amazing idea in my head... which will never get development.

For instance, the song Warriors of the World by Man-O-War inspired an entire story, called The Ăšlfar: Thunder, Wind, and Rain. The story was about a pack of viking-themed wolves, at war with the Yaks. One day, three of their pups -- Thunder, Wind, and Rain, though their names are Islandic instead -- are chosen to be the "Hammers of the Gods" and bring a new age unto the Pack. The three invent sea travel and venture around the Yak's land to strike them from behind and cripple them... only to discover Equestria and make first contact with Ponykind, that completely throws the often-violent wolves for a complete loop. I actually envisioned the wolves, lined up in front of their ships, as Thunder, Wind, and Rain sing this song to them, their paws -- sheathed in the metal blades that are their weapon of choice -- stomping on the frozen ground to make the beat. Even the refrain that begins with, "If I should fall in battle," is in my head as another wolf leaping up into the song, joining the Hammers in his pride for the Pack.

The story has been in my "To Do" list for years now. :twilightsheepish: I really hope to get it done someday... Or even started!

6866182 I actually give songs % of correlation to the stories I'm writing. Here's a big list of songs that fit my stories:
https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/585517/a-big-list-of-music-for-my-stories

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3