The Disney Chronicles 134 members · 5 stories
Comments ( 26 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 26
Dramamaster829
Group Admin

GOOD MORNING, FIMFICTION FANATICS!!! This is the Dramamaster829; Critic, Actor, Writer, Motivational Speaker, and Occasional Singer, keeping you up to date with the latest news for the 'Disney Chronicles' and beyond. Three Disney feature films, two from Pixar and one from Walt Disney Animation Studios, makes up our final three threads for the 'Disney Chronicles' series at least until we eventually receive the news on future projects. We begin with a buddy road trip movie, the story of two brothers, their relationship, and a quest to discover if 'magic' still exists. Soon to be released on March 6th, 2020, our first thread begins with the movie simply entitled:

Onward

The Mane Six (And Spike) will find themselves transported to a fantastical world, where the populace once had magic but since shifted to more modern conveniences (Like the opposite of 'The Pastoral Symphony'). It is here they meet two teenage elf brothers, Ian and Barley Lightfoot, who receive a wizard's staff as a prearranged gift from their father, who died before Ian was born and when Barley was too young to remember him. Included with the staff is a spell which can bring their father back for only 24 hours, more than enough for their sons and new friends to meet him. But when an attempt to conduct the spell results in only the father's legs being shown, it's up to the ponies, Spike, and the Lightfoot brothers to embark on a quest to find a means to bring the rest of the boys' father before time runs out. No guest stars have been announced, but that's subject to change.

For our pony friends and their little dragon pal, initially this would seem like familiar territory, especially a world with creatures they know: Manticores, fauns, cyclops, centaurs, mermaids, unicorns, and even Elves (Not the kind that bakes cookies or fixes shoes or builds toys). But as they soon find out, the world itself represents the metaphor to the consequence of a rise in modern conveniences such as cars, cellphones, and other electronics at the price of the decline of magic once vibrant in this landscape. According to the trailers, magic proved soo difficult to master that these creatures sought a technological means to make life easier yet these brothers are willing to go through with bringing back a parent they never knew just to see if the magic is still there. But if we are to look at the movie another way, this journey could mean more than just meeting their father, but rather to strengthen a bond between two brothers with very little in common and all the crazy shenanigans that ensue (Including rumors of a 'curse' at work). Granted, some ponies such as Twilight and Rarity might feel either offended or horrified as to how the unicorns in this world are treated (Especially after some choice words from one Lightfoot) but even if the initial relationship with the pair is rough at first hopefully this road-trip will provide an equal opportunity to bond and perhaps learn something from both worlds.

Overall, 'Onward' hopes to accomplish the feat of representing both family and the pursuit of hope. Taking a subject very familiar over the years, adapting a fantasy setting for a modern audience, and the quest to find any magic left in an ever evolving world does bode potential in drawing a crowd. We have no idea where this road will take them, what other dangers they may encounter, or how this trip will not only change the lives of two brothers but the ponies as well. What we do know is that in order to find this 'stone' which is supposedly the key to make the resurrection spell complete, it appears to come with a price and whether there's an antagonist at work or not there are many obstacles that will test them as to whether the experience is worth it or not. Many twists and turns lie upon this winding road, crafted by some exceptional talent in Pixar's ranks, and with plenty of laughs along the way, all of which hopes to demonstrate that true magic is not a 'literal' representation nor the destination itself but rather the adventure that comes along with it.

But the big question remains: What do YOU think? Be sure to leave a comment below at your earliest convenience.

Until then, this is the Dramamaster829... Signing out!

Stay tuned for the next upcoming thread.

I think I'd like to see how the Mane Eight will react to the Onward world's and mention that the two elf brothers sound familiar to them. For the former, Twilight is surprised it has become like the Equestria Girls world while she and the rest of the Mane Eight are concerned that the fate that has befallen on the universe of Onward could possibly happen to their world as well.

Wildcard25
Group Contributor

I look forward to seeing this. And when I do I'm going to envision scenarios for the girls and Spike

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Lightfoot "aghh unicorns"
Lightfoot looks at twilight and rarity
Lightfoot "no offense"
Twilight "none taken"

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

You say that like Sunset and Starlight are going to join the gang on their adventure (Hopefully Jiminy Cricket is somewhat included). But I hear what you're saying about wanting the two to be promoted from guests tars to supporting protagonists. Going into this world can take two different view points. On one hand, it be unique for Twilight Sparkle to see how far and advanced this civilization has come with the use of their introduced technology. But if we can understand where her friends are coming from, this was once a land where magic ran wild and was quintessential to the lifestyle of these beings. Yet the more advanced this landscape has become, the more likely magic will be so ignored that no one will remember it exists.

It's a wonder why they would worry that Equestria could end up turning into the human realm before 'magic' was reintroduced. Which Twilight could possibly take the wrong way.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I'm sure once the movie is fully released and it's been out in theaters for a long time, there will be lots of scenes to work with. But for now, all we got are the trailers that are released since the film has been announced.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Suddenly, Twilight and Rarity will know exactly how it feels when they actually use the word 'bad guy' and 'monster' around Sunset Shimmer and Starlight Glimmer.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Indeed so doing anything chocolate factory related

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Not yet, Mr. Ribbert. I haven't had my coffee yet.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Everyone needs a good coffee

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

*Pause*… Anyways, the one thing that suddenly got my attention is this 'curse' deal that they are suddenly talking about. Whatever it is, I noticed there was some red smoke emanating from possibly the stone that they seek to find to complete the ressurection spell. Either the stone itself comes with a price centered on bringing back someone they want to see. Or... Something must've went wrong with trying to use the stone, that the smoke seemed to stem from possibly some negative emotion.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin

Ahh interesting

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

But as of this moment, it's all just speculation at this point. Still, it's a pretty close guest as to how it turns out.

Yeah. And in my suggestion, I'd wager that it's not the elven bros. who's (partially) bringing a parent back to life. Somepony else will get that chance. One of them.

Tim Ribbert
Group Admin
Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Yeah we went over a few details and we figured it would make sense for this to happen. We've seen this one aspect play a part during the events of 'Pinocchio', which celebrated it's anniversary recently. But I figure it won't be the only time this happens during the 'Disney Chronicles' but at this point I have no idea where else it goes.

I meant like Spike and Starlight are included in the Mane Six.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Considering that Starlight Glimmer has not been involved in an adventure ever since the events of 'Snow White' it's difficult to know at this point if she'll ever receive any further appearances at this time.

I see. Well just to let you know, I saw the movie today and it was an epic tale of family, memory and magic.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Well, I did hear the movie came out. I did hope to see it last weekend but my schedule has been rather busy. I'll probably plan on seeing the movie possibly sometime this week, especially since it's probable I'll leave work early this Thursday given that I'm working a HUGE shift for an event at the library and I'm staying Wednesday for a Professor's seminar. And this way, I don't have to make a request for a Friday off and simply have that whole day where I don't have to work knowing that my hours are already met.

Heard Onward just came out on Disney Plus.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Did it now... Well, this just made my day.

Won't be the same as going to a movie theater, but it'll do. So long as 'everything' is on there.

I also thought about an idea: instead of it being in the beginning, the flashback of Onwards occurs during the scene the Lightfoots and the Mane Six (and co.) discover the staff and the note for Ian’s birthday. That would give them all a glimpse and brief summary about how the dimension filled with mythological creatures became like our universe.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

That is not the 'worst' idea I have ever heard. In a way that 'does' make absolute sense. The administration team will need to discuss this with Mr. Dino, when he's not busy being bothered by those 'children' who desperately want to see a new chapter for 'Fantasia' as if the END OF THE WORLD is coming.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

According to a recent rumor I discovered and I quote:

There was a storyboard scene where Ian, Barley, and Wilden are joined with a goat girl in the journey. Ian and the goat girl come across a booth hosted by three evil mermaids. The mermaids sing their mesmerizing song to lure the two into staying in one of three houses put for rent. Ian tries to silence them with the staff but the spell is too weak. When Ian and the goat girl are finally in a trance, the mermaids place them in one of the houses. The house they are in starts to sink into the ground.

The goat girl was omitted because the filmmakers want the film to focus on the relationship between Ian and Barley. The scene itself was removed because the filmmakers felt it was too grim.

Goat Girl... I believe they are called 'Fauns'...

Too 'grim' for screening audiences, hmm... Maybe we can consider doing this for the 'Disney Chronicles' version? We don't 'have' to use the Goat Girl, the ponies and Spike could just as easily take the girl's place.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Anyways, I finally saw the movie tonight and while it may not rank up there as one of the best 'Pixar' movies they put together, it was a fun, harmless feature from start to finish. A road trip between two brothers searching for a means to spend one day with their father, the crazy shenanigans they find themselves in, and along the way rediscover this bond that they've always had despite their differences. It's a familiar story, I know, but it was fun, the humor was solid, and the characters are memorable. Won't go into too many details in case there are fans on here who haven't seen the film in it's entirety but I highly recommend a watch on Disney+ at least once.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 26