My Little Reviews & Feedback 505 members · 860 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Light Heart101
Group Contributor

A Diamond's Sparkle

Written by

TheLegendaryBillCipher

Summary: After being stood up on Hearts and Hooves Day, Rarity's evening is rather lonely. Perhaps a friend could brighten it up.

Analysis: Short stories always come with a challenge. It has to tell a story in a short amount of time. That's why the majority of short stories are comedies. They can easily make a short path to a witty plotline. A romance is ten times as hard, having to establish an emotional connection in such a short amount of time. This story tried to do this in less than two thousand words, yet it surprisingly works, even without too much working on building the connection between characters. It takes a different focus at the beginning that makes an interesting message. Is it worth more to have a relationship that gains prestige but holds no love, or to risk that reputation to be with somebody you love?

Writing: 10/10 The grammar is immaculate. There are little to no errors that I can find in the spelling.

The plot of the story: 9/10 This takes an interesting approach to a failed dinner date, not focusing on the flame kindled in the end, but the premise of dating for reputation. I like this unique stance that many other love stories avoid.

Story flow: 8/10 It has a pretty good flow even though the ending is rather abrupt. It is short, so it's still impressive that it went over so much in such a short amount of time. I do have the one complain of saying that Fluttershy wouldn't be as level headed as Twilight.

Final score: 27/30-9/10

I would have liked to have seen more of a romantic interaction between Twilight and Rarity before the ending to make it less abrupt. Even then, it's a rather solid story with a unique mindset that it focuses on. It's a breath of fresh air compared to the typical love story, focusing more on what to look for in love. It's a great story that I'd recommend reading.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1