My Little Reviews & Feedback 505 members · 861 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2

[Adult story embed hidden]

Legacy
Writer: Quillian Inkheart
Genre: Romance, Thriller, Tragedy - Rated Mature
Read: Completed as of this review, 57,602 words, 10 chapters
Recommendation: Read. This is a story you can’t refuse.
Rating: 10/10

I like this one. It's good. Very good. However, that’s probably not going to be enough for most people, with all their limited time and varying tastes in mind, so let Leroy proceed to convince you why it's as good as it is.

The cover art kicks ass.

No, seriously. Well, I was serious but let’s start with the plot. Ophilia (Octavia) is a hitman and the heiress to a mafia empire. Vivian (Vinyl) is a gang boss and recovering addict. Circumstances transpired to tear them apart and now they’re picking up the pieces of their romance a decade later. In this process, many people will need killing.

Half the writing, as of this review, is devoted to backstory, flashback chapters explaining how the Octavia and Vinyl we all know and love became (somewhat) cold-hearted killers and big names in organised crime. Normally, this can get tiresome - you’re reading the set up for the main plot, after all, not the plot itself. Here, however, I’d argue that it is entirely warranted; Inkheart writes poignantly and enticingly enough to breathe life, and an ocean of tears, into the character’s lives and watching them develop over a Pina Colada made for quite the afternoon.

Of course, the writing also matters here. And it is top notch. I noticed zero grammatical issues or other faults. The only criticism I can really give it is that it stopped after ten chapters. Inkheart paints an excellent picture of the world, dark yet not without hope, and the characters, dark yet not without love - actions and appearances are visualized in such a way that they flow seamlessly together. Everything from the scars on Vinyl’s arms to the gunfight in the warehouse is charmingly illustrated, heart-pounding one moment and tear-jerking the next.

The romance, though it isn’t my personal favourite genre, is convincing and the characters, although certainly dissimilar to their canon counterparts, are enjoyable to watch and understandably different. There is liberal use of OCs here, I will admit, but this really is a story where such can be forgiven - it's got more in common with original fiction at this point anyway, so such so that I believe Inkheart commented that he’d like to turn it into a novel at some point. I reckon it’d sell - Charles Melody, William, and Salvatore have enough charisma to carry a story between them, let alone the dynamic between Ophilia and Vivien.

Plot: 5/5. Fluid, intricate, unpredictable. Like a good gunfight.
Characters: 5/5. Rivals the Sopranos.
Style: 5/5. More stylish than the Krays’ suits.
Execution: 4/5. Body was never found, but OCs, sprawling AUs and changed names aren’t for everyone.
Overall Rating: 19/20 = 10/10

To Quillian Inkheart: Write more of this, man. I want to see what happens to Salvatore. Does he get a flashback chapter too? And go ahead and turn this into original fiction - at this point, I’d say being associated with MLP has given this masterwork all the favours it can give.

Thank you very much for the review! I'll actually give a plug to the artist for the coverart: JodTheCod. Last I checked, he specializes in humans, so don't expect any breathtaking pones from him, but his art is top notch and working with him was an absolute delight. The art is, of course, pricey, but for quality like that, it's worth every penny.

As for your question and a few statements: yes, I do plan on eventually reworking some of the names and publishing this as a novel all it's own. And I will confess, there are reasons OCs are sprinkled so liberally throughout the story -- one of the big ones being just how likely it is that many of them will end up very dead by the end of the story. And, to what I'm sure is your immense enjoyment, there will be two chapters detailing Ophilia's time in the East with Salvatore. However, it'll be a wait; as of now, the first part isn't until Chapter 18. You'll also be enthused to know that this story already has a synopsis written out for every chapter and is set right now to complete at 26 chapters, including the Epilogue.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2