The Bronycon Bookstore 58 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

The obvious answer is 'The chapters,' but I'm interested in what people that have published have put in their front matter to address the

MLP: Friendship is Magic® - © 2019 Hasbro Inc.®

dark cloud.

On the advice of an entertainment lawyer (A friend; I certainly can't afford to hire one!) I make no mention whatsoever of Hasbro or the property, and there is no copyright info in the book at all. The books are listed as Public Domain on Lulu.

As I understood her, noting Hasbro acknowledges that you know you're making an unauthorized product, or that you're trying to intimate it is somehow authorized.

The other alternative is to clearly label it an unauthorized work and explicitly state it was produced without knowledge or permission of the copyright and trademark holder. My lawyer friend advised against this because it's an admission of intent as well as guilt... which is worse somehow?

Bottom line is Hasbro is very cool about fan work and will turn a blind eye as long as it doesn't look like it will be confused with a "real" product. But if they decide to C&D you, no disclaimer will make any difference.

Thanks for a very informative answer! I only ever lurk and hardly find time to do more than read stories and edit for Kudzu, so I have missed out on all discussion on this topic. I'll just shut up about it now!

I do have a goal, and that is to print and bind as many copies of Afternoon in Ponyville, as I can and get them off to Kudzu so he can sign them and find a way to get them BronyCon.

I actually printed and stitched exactly one copy of The Weed but am waiting for some more frontmatter to add before I can try my hand at putting a hard cover on it.

You're doing hand-binding? That's awesome! :pinkiehappy:

I think this is vitally important information. There really should be an agreed-upon method here. Personally I think it makes perfect sense to leave all mention of Hasbro and MLP:FIM. It would be more defensible from a legal standpoint.

However there's also the matter of whether and how it should be printed in the books that these stories are free to read on fimfiction.net, etc.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5