Songs of the Spheres: Extended Multiverse 215 members · 58 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

So, background, I too wanted to write a mega-multiverse fic, but I haven’t really gone anywhere due to wanting to not be shit at writing first (ended up being bogged down by edits), and not actually having a plot thread completely worked out. I did end up with a bunch of notes about the setting, and was amused at some of the differences I noticed in comparison to SotS.

Something I always notice first is how multiversal societies tend to be good leaning, though this is probably a natural consequence of needing a likeable protagonist. I believe I came across two other stories where universe jumping of sorts is involved, and the titular society is at minimum protectors.  Got to the part where there are some decidedly more antagonistic societies in SotS, so there’s that at least.

Mine is almost antagonistic, partially because I just wanted to be contrary. The Watsonian reason, after accumulating ideas from a bunch of fics, is that the previous multiversal society lost a war. The last of the warriors, in a moment of desperation, used soul magic (that mostly burned himself out) to rewrite the universe via my “Dark Tower” equivalent. Since the multiverse is big, the result was very imperfect and had a tendency to wear off, leaving the remnant of the Warrior to start a constant cycle of repeating the multiverse rewrite through sacrificial souls (imprinted to the next on and on) to keep the thought demons from eating everything.

On a side note, I took from Ender’s Game the concept of point universes floating in a sea of potential, with the mild problem is that the potential tends to get hungry from half-formed ideas creating half-formed creatures with just enough substance to hunger..

As for the underlying purpose for my idea, I wanted something that could accept any multiverse system. My solution is a massive conga line of multiverses within multiverses, where, borrowing your term, the “Prophets” are roughly one tier above their stories.

What is contained within one multiverse may be limited in some, but the rabbit hole goes deep as each tier creates another layer.

Admittedly, you managed to get a plot working, while mine is still stuck in dev hell, so whatever bullshit I’m spouting doesn’t actually get used anywhere. Might take a page out of your book and use an aftermath-aftermath to portray it so I can get something out of almost a decade of theorycrafting, since a setting where 99% of the inhabitants are mostly geas’d demons isn’t really easy to write about.

You could always just say "fuck quality or other people's opinions" and simply begin, sometimes getting your thoughts out is better than dreading over if it'll be good or not.

Or throw up a link to an editable google doc and tell people to just go crazy in it. :pinkiecrazy:

Keeping your multiverses nested is a good idea. That way, a prophet can create something more powerful than themselves.

There is also an option of instead of having prophets creating stories that become reality via some force, they merely "discover" already existing things as literally every single possible universe exists if the number of universes is infinite. On the other hand, just thinking would be dangerous in this kind of setting, as just simply daydreaming and coming up with a cool monster that kills anyone who knows about it might make one materialize in-front of you.

That's a good idea... Especially considering the fact that I have to write 6 stories depicting my own death and pseudo rebirth.

They're being sarcastic suggesting that their negative aspects being involved in group chaos is a bad idea. Self-deprecation, essentially.

Round robin style? Each person writes a sentence in turn? The end result is something fun and unexpected?

Ask anyone, I've wanted to do this for years., just haven't found a group for it.

Ah.

Guess who's been doing exactly that then? :trollestia:

It's not really round-robin or structured in any kind of way. It's literally just pure, unfiltered chaos in story form.

Just saying that your idea of the Collab Google doc would be useful for me to subcontract the writing of what's essentially my multiverse's first "event comic"

The TMT has one on, I wrote a bit, later today will write more

GMBlackjack
Group Admin

Are you asking a question? I'm not sure if you are or not.

I don't see any issues with your idea, seems self-consistent if not very detailed.

I do caution against writing a multiverse story with minimal writing experience. I went through four failed attempts to write a multiverse story before getting to SotS. I ended up writing several book-sized fics and FINISHED them, so I could gain the required experience. If you wanna do something good, make sure you get the required experience to make it good.

Keep in mind I wanted my multiverse story to be absolutely excellent and to blow most others out of the water. If that isn't a requirement for you, this may not apply.

I wish you luck regardless!

-GM, master of SMC.

Nah, just voicing ideas out loud. And yeah, this is why I've gone nowhere with the idea, and is instead writing single world stories to get an idea of how to not be shit at stringing a plot together. I've got a couple of docs with more details, but its not really relevant. I do kinda have a short story idea that can help introduce the reader to my multiverse setting, but I haven't been able to get around to it, due to all the other stories I've already started.

I've mostly been writing other stories for practice, though its been slow going. I also need a better introduction story, since I spent way too much time navel gazing with my first few attempts.
I want to have too much control over events for me to be willing to let it loose that easily, unfortunately. The idea of quests and comment driven plots both fascinate me and frustrates me.
That's actually kinda a part of the setting. For whatever reason, half formed daydreams create half-formed entities that are only aware enough to hunger. The previous society, as mentioned, almost lost, and ended up forcing a geas (through soul sacrifice) on all existing thought-demons to defend the multiverse. This geas eventually starts wearing off, the unending tide is unending, and the cycle repeats in perpetuity waiting for the hope someone can find a solution to stop constantly sacrificing people.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14