Songs of the Spheres: Extended Multiverse 215 members · 58 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

Hey, we all have our preferred media. I'd do up an FiCG blog as I've done a few times in the past, but given how there's more than a megaword to work with, that'd get out of hand real quick. As such, I'm going to pop in with a few designs now and again on a periodic and decidedly irregular basis. Explanations will be provided for those unfamiliar with Magic.

Now then, let's open with the crew of everyone's favorite LSB expedition team. On that note, expect spoilers for the first several chapters of League. And since I can't seem to get the feed note to terminate where I want it to, this first one's classified.

Celia, Crystalline Advocate 3WW
Legendary Creature — Illusion Advisor
Creatures can't attack you or a planeswalker you control unless their controller pays 2 for each of those creatures.
If Celia, Crystalline Advocate would die, instead transform it and put three time counters on it.
“I’m sure we can talk this out rationally...”
3/3
Celia’s Gems
Legendary Artifact
At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from Celia’s Gems. Then, if there are no time counters on Celia’s Gems, transform it.
”... After all, it’s not like I’m going anywhere.”
—Celia Chalcedony

The Magic taxonomy of Gems is an interesting question. Are they Spirits? Constructs? Given their purpose-built construction, should they have any creature types beyond their class? The latest set seems to offer an answer, since it has a hard light projection, and that’s classified as an Illusion. Thus, so to is Celia.

As for what the card actually does, while Celia’s around, she negotiating peace as much as she can in a game that’s usually won by smacking your opponent to death. At the very least, she’s able to levy a significant limitation on swarm tactics by forcing your opponents to pay limited resources to give each of their creatures permission to come at you. And since she’s a Gem, poofing her just means she’ll reform in a few turns, though she obviously can’t keep up the negotiations while she’s indisposed.

Blink, Witch of Void 3UU
Legendary Creature — Unicorn Spirit Wizard
Hexproof
2U: Choose one —
• Target creature can’t be blocked this turn.
• Target nonland permanent phases out. (While it’s phased out, it’s treated as though it didn’t exist. It phases in before its controller untaps during their next untap step.)
2/2

Void magic is fairly straightforward from a Magic perspective. Your opponents can’t target Blink, she can help your creatures walk right through opposing defensive lines, and she can even revoke something’s existence temporarily. This can be just as useful in defending your own stuff as much as removing your opponent’s advantages.

Nira, the Paincaster 3BB
Legendary Creature — Unicorn Wizard
T: The next time you cast a spell from your hand this turn, you may pay life equal to that spell’s converted mana cost rather than pay its mana cost.
Whenever you pay life, Nira, the Paincaster gains deathtouch and indestructible until end of turn.
3/2

Likewise straightforward. Blood for the blood pony.

Cinder, Innocent Flame 2R
Legendary Creature — Unicorn Shaman
Whenever a player planeswalks, put a +1/+1 counter on Cinder, Innocent Flame.
XRR, T: Cinder deals X damage to any target. X can’t be greater than Cinder’s power.
Every new world presents wonders and horrors to wide, orange eyes.
1/2

Cinder’s a Shaman rather than a Wizard since she’s mostly casting by ear, so to speak. I’m honestly not too happy with this design right now, but it’s still early in her journey. As such, her card reflects that: Every new world is a growing experience for her, for good or for ill. Also, she can burn things.

Swip, Portal Corvette 7
Legendary Artifact Creature — Construct
Flying
Absorb 2 (If a source could deal damage to this creature, prevent 2 of that damage.)
Whenever Swip, Portal Corvette deals combat damage to a player, you may planeswalk.
6/4

I would have made Swip a Vehicle, but that doesn’t work well for someone who can crew herself. As such, she’s actually quite straightforward. Indeed, I had to tone her and her shields down considerably just to bring her to a power level that wouldn’t call for a double-digit mana cost. Note that in the game format that uses it, planeswalking normally depends on a die roll. Swip is, of course, far more advanced than such clumsy fumbling through the multiverse.

Squiddy, the Instigator UR
Legendary Creature — Squid Scout
U, T: Tap or untap another target creature.
R, T: Squiddy, the Instigator deals 1 damage to any target.
“Oh, relax. It won’t stain forever.”
2/1

Squiddy shoots stuff. Sometimes it’s in their eyes, sometimes it’s point-blank, and sometimes it’s shooting her mouth off enough for someone to get over exhaustion just to snap back at her. The Squiddy-Nira combo is real. And yes, Squid is already a supported creature type in Magic.

Sweetaloo Blume, PsyD GWU
Legendary Creature — Advisor
Alicorn (This card is also a Pony Pegasus Unicorn.)
Other creatures you control get +1/+1.
Spells and abilities your opponents control can't cause you to discard cards or sacrifice permanents.
“Somepony’s got to keep them all sane.”
2/2

Sweetaloo said it herself. The ultimate Crusader is here for your peace of mind, making the rest of your team perform more effectively and helping you see past the hard decisions others might force you to make.

Seren, Quantum Arcanist 1URW
Each noncreature spell you cast cost 1 less to cast for each of its colors.
1BG, T: Return a multicolored card at random from your graveyard to your hand.
“Pentachromatic mana, you say? Fascinating…”
2/3

The more complex and convoluted the spell, the easier it is for Seren to cast. And like any scientist, she ensures she can get reproducible results, turning those more exotic magics into reusable arcane protocols… though results may vary on which ones she actually reinstantiates at any given time. Though, ironically, actual magitech usually doesn’t benefit from this design of her.

Captain Suzie Mash 2WU
Legendary Creature — Human Scout
When Captain Suzie Mash enters the battlefield, reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a nonlegendary card, then put all cards revealed this way into your hand.
Captain Suzie Mash has bushido 3 as long as you control a Ninja or Samurai. (Whenever it blocks or becomes blocked, it gets +3/+3 until end of turn.)
2/2

Captain Suzie assembles the rest of the crew, or at least whoever’s available in the immediate vicinity. And if things have taken a turn for the animes, she’s prepared to go full shonen. Naturally, since there are some big questions hovering around Suzie, this card is more of a provisional design, but it still works.

Memelady Burgerbelle 2BGU
Legendary Creature — Elemental
Whenever Memelady Burgerbelle attacks, each player puts the top two cards of their library into their graveyard. Then choose a nonland card in a graveyard. You may cast that card without paying its mana cost. If an instant or sorcery spell cast this way would be put into a graveyard this turn, exile it instead.
5/5

If Gems are hard to classify, Flats are nigh-impossible. I have declared Burgerbelle a literal meme elemental. When she goes off to Brad your foe’s burger, she drives everyone just a little crazy, then makes a callback to something that happened earlier in the game.

GMBlackjack
Group Admin

I have no idea how magic works but this is absolutely beautiful and I love seeing into your character interpretations. Let's see what I have to say here...

Blood for the blood pony.

Always and forevermore.

but it’s still early in her journey

:pinkiecrazy: You have no idea. Muahahahaha!

“Somepony’s got to keep them all sane.”

I often feel that, since I focus on adventure, I don't do much with Sweetaloo. But she is BEYOND important to them for many, MANY reasons. I don't know if everyone's picked up on this yet or not, but she's there because things weren't that great on the Sweetie Ship for a while...

Naturally, since there are some big questions hovering around Suzie, this card is more of a provisional design, but it still works.

You're going to love and hate the answers/not answers you get in Sunshine and Fire.

literal meme elemental

YES.

-GM, master of YES.

UC

Burgerbelle should be a Weird 0u0

Celia being mono-white doesn't feel right... She's somewhere around Esper, probably.

Letting 6847813 know that I have a new batch in. This time the theme is unreasonably powerful beings!

Emanation of Shimmy 1W
Creature — Avatar
Lifelink
Emanation of Shimmy’s power and toughness are each equal to the number of creatures you control named Emanation of Shimmy.
A deck can have any number of cards named Emanation of Shimmy.
*/*

The Sunset of Earth Shimmer isn’t exactly the sort of being you casually summon for a planeswalker duel. Granted, none of the entries in this post are, but her especially. A teensy fraction of her restorative essence that grows stronger in the presence of more of itself? That works a lot better for all involved parties.

Twilence, the Metascribe 5UU
Legendary Creature — Wizard
Alicorn (I’m also a Pony Pegasus Unicorn.)
Flying
When I enter the battlefield, scry 4.
If I would leave the battlefield, you may instead put me on top of my owner’s library. Then that player shuffles their library.
While you’re searching your library, you may cast me from your library.
4/4

If any card should be written in first person, it’s Twilence. She looks at the next chapter of the game, rewrites any inappropriate bits, and goes back to the nearest library when she’s served her purpose in this scene. And if you go looking for her, you can try to drag her back out... but she takes a lot of convincing.

Funny Valentine 2R(wu)
Legendary Creature — Human Warrior
(wu)(wu): Exile Funny Valentine. Return it to the battlefield under its owner’s control at the beginning of the next end step.
When Valentine enters the battlefield from exile, you may pay XR. When you do, Valentine deals X damage to target creature. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead.
3/4

I’ve spent an unreasonable amount of time trying to figure out how to represent something as wildly variable and bizarre as Stands in Magic. The answer? Screw it, I’ll just put abilities on Stand users. In the Murican ambassador’s case, that means jumping between timelines to dodge potentially lethal blows, possibly dragging some poor schlub along to absolutely ruin his day.
And come on, I had to make him red, white, and blue.

Seraphic Command 2WU
Instant
Choose two —
• Target player can’t cast instant or sorcery spells this turn.
• Target player can’t activate abilities this turn unless they’re mana abilities.
• Tap all creatures target player controls.
• Counter target spell.

The alternative option for Stands? Spells. Seraphim lays down two of four potential laws, all of which ensure someone isn’t allowed to do what displeases you.

Evening Sparkle WUBRG
Legendary Creature — Wizard
Alicorn
Flying, first strike
You may spend mana as though it were mana of any color.
When Evening Sparkle dies, if it isn’t a token, create a token that’s a copy of it.
4/4

Evening harmonizes. It’s kind of her thing. With her help, magic from all kinds of disparate sources can come together to fulfill whatever purpose you need. Evening herself is no slouch in combat, and… well, the original didn’t exactly have that name for very long.

Skarn the Shaper 1BRG
Legendary Planeswalker — Skarn
+2: You may sacrifice another permanent. If you do, you gain 2 life and draw a card.
-3: Sacrifice another nonland permanent. You may put a permanent card from your hand onto the battlefield.
-9: You get an emblem with “You may sacrifice two permanents rather than pay the mana cost for spells that you cast.”

Skarn… I’m honestly still not happy with his design, but it’s the best I can manage. I opted for planeswalker rather than creature for the same reason I went with a small aspect of Shimmy: the full package is so powerful that accurately representing him on a card would mean making something virtually unplayable that would basically win you the game the moment it hit the field. Instead, Skarn does what he does best, working with the raw materials you give him and creating breathtaking works… in the sense that quite a few things won’t be breathing by the time he’s finished. Butter him up enough and you’ll have access to the Shaping Mechanisms for the rest of the game.

GMBlackjack
Group Admin

If any card should be written in first person, it’s Twilence.

Amen, brother.
Thanks!

And come on, I had to make him red, white, and blue.

There truly was no other option.

When Evening Sparkle dies, if it isn’t a token, create a token that’s a copy of it.

I only have one response for this. Ouch.

-GM, master of heartstrings.

I let this sit for too long in multiple senses. But better late than never! Time to showcase the stars of Amber Ashes... well, the original stars.

Fluttershy, Master Smith 1WW
Legendary Creature — Pegasus Artificer
Defender
Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt by Fluttershy, Master Smith.
Other creatures you control get +1/+1.
When you cast an artifact spell with converted mana cost 6 or greater, transform Fluttershy.
0/4
Fluttershy, Vestige of Saturn
(W) Legendary Creature — Pegasus God
Flying, indestructible, vigilance
Other creatures you control get +2/+2.
Whenever Fluttershy, Vestige of Saturn attacks, it gets +X/+0 until your next turn, where X is the total power of creatures defending player controls.
0/8

Fluttershy's an interesting case. Strictly speaking, you can use her as a speedbump, but she's better off outfitting your other creatures... at least until she finishes her masterpiece. Then she's welcome to smash face. And yes, God is a supported creature type. Magic even has Zeus in both portfolio and attitude.

The Blue Bolt 1BR
Legendary Creature — Pegasus Rogue
Flying, haste
Whenever The Blue Bolt deals combat damage to a player, exile the top card of that player's library. You may cast that card this turn and may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast that card.
2/1

The local Rainbow goes in quick and comes back with goodies... but one wrong move and down she goes. (The nonlocal Rainbow, like Scarcity, doesn't get a card. Hey, this set was predestined. :derpytongue2:)

Applejack, Mesh Worker 1GWU
Legendary Creature — Pony Artificer
Vigilance
Each permanent you control with a mana ability untaps during each other player's untap step.
T: Add G, W, or U.
She stared right back at entropy until it blinked.
2/3

Applejack is a fine, upstanding citizen, and as long as she's around, your energy output will be as steady and reliable as the rhythm of the Mesh. For added flavor points, say "Clank" every untap step.

Pinkie, Capella's Prophet 2UR
Legendary Planeswalker — Pinkie
+1: Scry 2.
-3: You may put a permanent card from your hand onto the battlefield. It has haste. Return that permanent to your hand at the beginning of the next end step.
-7: Draw three cards. You may cast a spell from your hand without paying its mana cost.

Pinkie's even less of a combatant than Fluttershy, but between the ability to make worlds and my own established precedents, she makes one heck of a planeswalker. Like Twilence, she can rewrite the future, though not as deep. She can also call in cameos or provide a massive burst of inspired reinforcements. Just keep her safe; she doesn't have any good way to defend herself without help.

Rarity, the Enchantress 2GW
Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
Rarity, the Enchantress has indestructible and vigilance as long as you control a Desert or there is a Desert card in your graveyard.
2/2

So long as there is one patch of lifelessness in this world, Rarity will persist. Every bit of long-lasting magic you provide lets her empower herself or others. She can do no less.

Empress Twilight Sparkle 5UR
Legendary Creature — Wizard Noble
Alicorn (This card is also a Pony Pegasus Unicorn.)
Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a unity counter on Empress Twilight Sparkle, then draw a card for each unity counter on it.
Spells you cast cost 1 less to cast for each unity counter on Twilight.
4/4

Twilight is a win condition for both you and your opponent. She provides both resources and the logistical support to use them... but she doesn't know when to stop. Did I mention that trying to draw a card when there aren't any left in your deck automatically makes you lose the game? Because I don't think anyone told her.

GMBlackjack
Group Admin

Fluttershy's an interesting case. Strictly speaking, you can use her as a speedbump, but she's better off outfitting your other creatures... at least until she finishes her masterpiece. Then she's welcome to smash face. And yes, God is a supported creature type. Magic even has Zeus in both portfolio and attitude.

All the defense, all the time, including when that defense is REFLECTIVE.

(The nonlocal Rainbow, like Scarcity, doesn't get a card. Hey, this set was predestined.

Scarcity doesn't care.
Glimmer, on the other hand...
H-hey, I like being on cards... Please...?

For added flavor points, say "Clank" every untap step.

And if you don't do it in perfect time she... well, she'll give you a disappointed look.

She can do no less.

She truly can't...

AS good of a time as any to remind all that this is her theme.

Did I mention that trying to draw a card when there aren't any left in your deck automatically makes you lose the game? Because I don't think anyone told her.

I didn't. Now I do. I can see this going badly for her.

-GM, master of commentus.

Then choose a nonland card in a graveyard. You may cast that card without paying its mana cost.

Oh, heck, that's powerful. You can cast any card in any player's graveyard. Not just that you milled a couple of your opponents cards, you now have access to them for free.

Heck, it's worth putting some "junk" cards that you never expect to actually cast yourself, like some 15 mana cards, or even off-color cards, just so you can possibly cast them.

In fact, this deck wants to mill itself! That's a horribly overpowered combo.

Got a few more for your perusal. This time it's Cryo's team... and one for Suzie, given the questions answered about her. :unsuresweetie:

Cryo, Glaciator 2U
Legendary Creature — Unicorn Ninja
Ninjutsu U (U, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card onto the battlefield from your hand tapped and attacking.)
Whenever Cryo, Glaciator deals combat damage to a player, tap up to that many target creatures that player controls. They don’t untap during their controller’s next untap step.
1/1

Admittedly, Cryo owes more to Magic Knight Rayearth than Naruto, but I couldn’t resist putting anime powers on a ninja. On her own, Cryo doesn’t do much and can get overwhelmed pretty easily. Power her up, though, and opposing creatures may never defrost.

Curio, Analyst Spectre 2UU
Legendary Creature — Unicorn Spirit
Whenever you cast an artifact spell, draw a card.
At the beginning of your end step, scry X, where X is the number of cards you’ve drawn this turn.
“This would be fascinating if people would just stop summoning dragons for five seconds."
1/2

Curio’s just here for the research opportunities. The more gadgets you deploy, the more she learns. The more she learns, the more data she has to look over to forecast what you’ll encounter next turn. Just don’t send her into combat unless you’ve piled a crapton of accessories onto her.

Mattie, Pain and Pleasure 4B
Legendary Creature — Unicorn Rogue
Indestructible
Whenever Mattie, Pain and Pleasure is dealt damage, you gain that much life.
Whenever Mattie deals combat damage to a creature or planeswalker, it deals that much damage to that permanent’s controller.
3/1

Mattie is, appropriately enough, super-obnoxious. She can just stand there, criticizing the underwhelming beating she’s taking before editing herself behind your opponent and laying into them with that agony whip. I am sorry that there isn’t any mechanical representation of her Awareness; there just wasn’t room for it.

Sriracha, Chili Farmer 1RG
Creature — Pony Druid
You may play an additional land each turn.
Lands you control have “1R, T: This land deals 1 damage to any target.”
Cryo offered her an opportunity she didn’t even know she’d been waiting for.
1/3

Hey, if a card called Diligent Farmhand counts as a Druid, so should Sriracha. She cultivates the area, both encouraging growth and harvesting edible pain.

Suzie, Catastrophe’s Hand 3WB
Legendary Creature — Human Soldier
Deathtouch
Whenever Suzie deals combat damage to a player, destroy target nonland permanent that player controls, then search their graveyard, hand, and library for any number of cards with that permanent’s name and exile them. That player shuffles their library, then draws a card for each card exiled from their hand this way.
3/4

As it turns out, Magic can easily convey the sense of “That is not and will never be,” thanks to the charmingly name Lobotomy mechanic. Once Suzie gets some phantasmal branches in someone, she removes any trace of something near and dear to them. Or she just kills whatever gets in her way. There’s a reason her previous card was a Scout while this one is a Soldier.

GMBlackjack
Group Admin

Heh. I appreciate Cryo.

Suzie... yep, that seems about right. Eliminate everything of one sort. U-Catastrophe is really difficult to work with, considering how it's effect directly relates to what the target's dreams/visions are.

-GM, master of TARGET.

Ahaha these are great! Glad to see Team Cryo get some representation. :D Although I'm surprised that Cryo can deal any direct damage at all :)

The freezing may not deal damage, but she still has hooves. She just has to remember that physical contact is an option.

Granted, with Mattie on her team, I'm not sure how she could forget that.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12