The Official Generation Five Site 686 members · 1,959 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
RedRanger3142
Group Admin

This is something that’s been on my mind since I saw The Lone Alicorn for the first time. Several months ago I made a thread expressing my interest in seeing Sunny’s friends gaining Alicorn forms like her. From the responses in the comments of that thread, I saw that the community was torn on the idea. Some, like me, were curious to see what a whole group of Alicorns would look like, while others felt making the others Alicorns would be a bad idea, either because having six Alicorns would rob the story of any stakes or because Sunny’s form wouldn’t be special anymore if other ponies besides her had it. But then after I made that thread The Lone Alicorn went ahead and entertained the idea in cannon, even if only in a dream sequence.

The Lone Alicorn is, I feel, a perfect look into the state of Sunny’s psyche post MYM. She’s learned to embrace her Alicorn status after struggling with it at the start of both MYM and TYT, but now she’s wondering how she compares to other Alicorns, especially since the only other one she’s met was Opaline, who served as the main villain of MYM. Sunny’s battle against Opaline seems to have left her with some form of PTSD, if the reaction Sunny has to seeing Opaline’s throne is any indication. She certainly hasn’t put the encounter behind her yet, unlike Zipp, who has moved past the incident enough to jokingly pretend to be Opaline and even ask Sunny to record her imitation.

But I’m wondering if this episode’s look into Sunny’s mind is even deeper than most of us realised. The dream at the start of the episode is said to be a representation of Sunny’s fear of being the last Alicorn left now that Opaline’s out of the picture. While this certainly explains the dream’s ending where Sunny’s friends fall out of the sky, I can’t help but wonder if the start of the dream where she and her friends are flying through the clouds represent something else, especially considering Sunny’s line in the dream.

Look at us. We’re all Alicorns.”

Maybe part of Sunny wishes her friends were Alicorns too. What do all of you think?

I guess she's just afraid of ending up being alone since she has that power and not only that she felt like she was like the odd out of her group said she can just do Alicorn mode and she was wondering that if anybody is like her out there but she's not so alone but that's just a theory

Yeah, that seems like a pretty good analysis of the episode. And, yeah, the loneliness and PTSD are good observations. I DO think that there is definitely a part of her that wishes her friends did have similar abilities (especially since they all have done just as much to earn it as she did).

Imagine if that was a fear Twilight had when she acknowledged that her closest friends would eventually pass away from old age while she still had a couple more centuries/eons left before passing away too.

Flamewarrior02
Group Admin

I actually touched upon this in my story

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/552244/the-brave-and-the-future

After being alone for so long, Sunny clearly wouldn’t want that to happen again.

TalB #6 · 2 weeks ago · · ·

For some reason I don't think Twilight ever did want the rest of the Mane 6 to be alicorns like her especially when it would no longer make her feel special.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6