The Official Generation Five Site 690 members · 1,969 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
Admiral Producer
Group Admin

Getting back into the habit of joining discussions again since I’ll hopefully have more time to do that post-group election. As a reminder, you have until Tuesday to apply to be an admin. We need four more people on our team and the sooner you apply via PM, the sooner your name could be on the ballot for this Thursday. In this thread though, I want to shoutout my first Tell Your Tale video essay. Normally, I’d just make video essays about how awesome MYM was, but with how good this season is, and how much it’s managed to hook me, I figured I’d rave about what is now my favorite G5 special: “The Blockywockys.” Yes, this was posted to YouTube about two days ago, but hey…better late than never. I loved this episode so much that I decided that my normal reviews would not do this justice. So a full on video essay it is, then. Please enjoy!

ponydog127
Group Admin

I already watched it, and I love that Izzy got her very own TYT special!

It was definitely a pretty good one took them a little bit long time to get to this point but I was glad they're still working on the show ever since being silent for 2 weeks which it always makes me worried what it is interesting to see Izzy going to different area to help her with the creativity block which I have that feeling that they're going to do the same thing back in season 4 of friendship is Magic testing the main characters of their elements which I hope that's the case and hopefully get to see more creatures outside of Equestria

No wonder you did a video like this on the special. :D It really was an amazing time with an epic opening I couldn't stop listening to that song all day on the day it came out! :D

Honestly, I didn't like it.

It had its moments, I would call it decent at best, but the quickest way for MLP to lose my interest is adding those 'magic of friendship' moments or a song (especially ones that sounds no different from all their other songs).

Admiral Producer
Group Admin

It’s okay if you don’t like it. Like, I can’t gush enough about how powerful that ending song is and how perfectly it works as this explosive expression of creativity climax that shows how Izzy’s experiences on her quest changed her. But if you don’t like that because it’s cliché, that’s fine. I personally liked how the special followed the “Heroes’ Journey” formula with every location Izzy went to having something to say about what it means to be a creator. The message is honestly relevant to me now more than ever because…well, you know. But I do respect your opinion nonetheless.

Yeah im with you about the song
Dare i say better than the make your mark theme song?
YES

ponydog127
Group Admin

Yeah-- it's okay if you don't like EVERY episode.

I think calling it a "masterpiece" might be stretching it by a fair amount...but I did enjoy it. Really did not expect to find a point of connection with Izzy in this episode, but lo and behold here they come with her grappling with the feelings of struggling with her creativity. I think every creative type can understand and sympathize with that.

And I find it interesting that Allura and Twitch seem to be on genuinely good terms with one another, she actually listens to his suggestions and doesn't seem to mistreat him like so many evil villains do with their henchmen. I kinda like it when villains are genuine friends with one another but are still villains, and I kinda hope they don't do something like have Twitch betray her or anything like that.

Anyway, I thought this was cute with some unexpected relatability to it. Can't really complain.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9