The Official Generation Five Site 703 members · 2,005 stories
Comments ( 33 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 33
The Blue EM2
Group Admin

A little over three years ago now, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic came to an end, with an episode depicting Equestria as a peaceful utopia united by friendship and love, and inhabited by lots of different races.

Or was it? In February 2021, not only did the big bombshell that G5 takes place in the same world as G4 drop, we also learned that the world had become a divided place largely inhabited by races fearful of one another, and living in isolation. Naturally, this intrigued and surprised many longtime bronies, some of whom regarded this as turning Twilight's story into a shaggy dog tale. Others, such as myself, regarded this as a hard truth aesop that nothing truly lasts forever.

The main question on everybody's minds was this-what caused an apparently harmonious society to fracture so dramatically? How could unity disintegrate in the way it did?

In this essay, I intend to examine some of the evidence that My Little Pony: a New Generation and My Little Pony: Make your Mark provide in order to provide my theory as to what happened. I will not be using evidence from the Generation 5 comic as I do not consider it canon (and it also has numerous continuity snarls with the other parts of Generation 5). This is a new version which has been updated with lore from the fifth chapter of Make your Mark.

Section 1: Pre-Imperial and Imperial Equestria

Once upon a time, thousands of years before the present day, there were three sisters who lived in the land of Skyros. One shone bright as the sun. One shone with the light of the moon. And the third wielded the fury of an inferno within her. The first two largely ignored their younger sibling, fearful of her unpredictable capabilities and fiery temper.

At some point in the ancient past but roughly around the same time, unicorns, earth ponies, and pegasi lived in isolation, before dwindling resources forced them to relocate to a new land. The hostility they held towards one another led to the Windigos, ice creatures that fed of disharmony and could destroy ponies. In response to this threat, the three tribes made peace with one another and founded a new nation-Equestria.

As demonstrated by the above example, the three tribes did not become friends for altruistic reasons. They became friends as the alternative was certain death. In other words, friendship was a survival strategy, nothing more, nothing less. This is the core of my thesis-what if the Three Tribes weren't as united as we had assumed?

This remained the same throughout much of Imperial Equestria. For the entirety of the country's existance Equestria had external threats and foes-not to mention the threat of Windigos looming over their heads. Furthermore, each had resources the other needed-earth ponies grew food, pegasi controlled the weather, unicorns regulated the sun and moon, etc. These factors explain why they stayed together. Groups of people (or ponies in this case) tend to cooperate when each group has something the others need. Even after the new nation was established, the challenges of forming a new country remained. The solution was to use rent-a-monarch-tow of the aforementioned sisters, Celestia and Luna, were recruited as Equestria's new rulers. The third sister, Opaline, was neglected and quietly forgotten. She resented being passed over, and as time went by she began to plot her revenge, travelling away from Skyros to a new territory far from prying eyes. Remember her. She will be important later.

Once the threats that all Equestrians had in common were defeated in the Battle of the Bell, the three groups no longer had a single enemy. And because they no longer had a threat that was common to all three of them, they no longer had any reason to cooperate with one another. (In case somebody reading this thinks this notion is silly, just take a quick look at human history for many examples of this phenomenon.)

Section 2: The Cracks start to Show

Despite Twilight Sparkle's best efforts to create a lasting peace, the three tribes gradually began to drift apart and move to their own parts of the continent. This process of drifting reduced the likelihood of members of each group coming into contact with one another.

This is significant, as when groups do not interact with one another it means that prejudice is more likely to develop. (Case in point; one of the factors in the development of European racism towards Africans was the retreat of the Islamic Empires from southern Europe in the 1400s. This considerably reduced the chances of European and African peoples encountering one another, which led to prejudice forming.)

Before long, prejudice began to develop (or simply re-emerged) in Equestria, with each group considering themselves superior to the others and regarding the other groups as inferior.

Twilight Sparkle was concerned by this, and came up with an idea to allow the tribes to more easily stay in contact. She oversaw the creation of the Together Tree network, a system of magical trees which allowed for instant travel from one to the other. This fast travel system was, in theory, meant to keep the tribes in contact. The process didn't work.

The Tribes soon began to encounter other problems. The lopsided nature of Equestria's ecosystem meant that Earth Ponies held the cards when it came to food, and the pegasi and unicorns were running low on supplies. They couldn't simply ask the Earth Ponies for food, as it would have undermined their entire argument of being superior to them. Tensions had grown to the point that Equestria resembled a giant tinderbox. All it needed was a spark.

Section 3: Race War

The next clue we get comes from the Make your Mark episode The Traditional Unicorn Sleepover. Whilst telling stories to one another, Sunny mentions the following incident:

But then one day, a magical accident happened! An Earth pony got hurt by a unicorn! Everypony started fighting with each other!

The idea that a war might be triggered over something so tiny might seem ridiculous to us, but again history has many incidents like it. A good example is the Kalkhin-Gol incident, where a minor border dispute between Japan and the Soviet Union erupted into all-out war.

In summary, the groups had been looking for any excuse to trigger a conflict. The Earth Ponies immediately declared war on the unicorns and launched an assault on their territory, working on the principle that a strong offence is a good defence.

The unicorns retaliated in kind, attacking Earth Pony territory and starting to seize resources to take back to their own lands.

The pegasi, watching from on high, decided to capitalise on the chaos and attacked both groups, using their aerial advantage and clouds to strike from the skies and squirrel other resources away from the Earth Ponies. All three powers perverted the intended purpose of the Together Trees, using them to teleport military assets across the continent.

Who won the war seems to depend on who you ask. In My Little Pony: a New Generation, we get the following bit of information from Sprout:

My mom says the Pegasi and unicorns tried to eat up all the Earth ponies by zapping 'em with lasers and frying 'em to a crisp... So the Earth ponies kicked their butts in an epic battle, and if they ever try to come back to Maretime Bay, we'll kick their butts again!

I am aware that the Cloverleafs are not particularly reliable sources, but later Hitch says this:

Well, uh, that is kinda what our teacher said in history class.

Whilst the other leaders don't mention the conflict directly, the confrontation between Queen Haven and Alphabittle implies the war ended in a pegasus victory:

Alphabittle: Surrender the crystal, or I'll use my powers against you!
Queen Haven: I'd like to see you try!

Irrespective of what anypony says about the war, the aftermath of the conflict was devastating. All three powers aimed for a quick and easy win, but the conflict soon devolved into brutal trench warfare, shifting into a bloody meatgrinder that resulted in the deaths of millions of ponies.

It was at this moment that Opaline, who had been building up resources, chose to strike. Opaline was not the root cause of the collapse- she merely capitalised on the carnage to further her own agenda. Seeing that Twilight and her friends had defeated magic wielders virtually every weekend before that point, Opaline's solution was to field an army of machines that, although powered by magic, were impervious to it. This was why the Mane 6 were unable to defeat her by the usual approach- their main strategy was useless against the threat they were facing.

But how did nopony spot her army being built, I hear you ask. Simple. Her army of machines was assembled underneath the Dragonlands. The Dragonlands were highly volcanic at the time, and as a result the constant shifting magma would have disguised heat signatures from military preparations. The power source was also closely connected to the Dragons. Each machine was fuelled by a core filled with Dragonfire. This is why the Dragons were forced into hibernation- Opaline consumed so much Dragonfire it rendered them unable to function. Opaline also made heavy use of the Together Trees to move her troops about and strike from where her enemies last expected.

Twilight Sparkle looked on in horror as all she had worked to build crumbled. In response, she put one last desparate plan into motion, one she hoped would end the chaos once and for all.

Section 4: Desparate Times, Desparate Measures

The situation was dire. War was raging between the Three Tribes. Opaline's army waltzed across southern Equestria, laying waste to all in its path. And Opaline herself was simply far too powerful to take out directly. If this seems unlikely, remember that in Chapter 4 Opaline, with only about 10% of her full power, almost defeated Sunny (the latter was only saved by the power of the Cutie Marks). Considering what Celestia and Luna were capable of at full strengh, Opaline at full power would be effectively unstoppable.

But unbeknownst to many, six ponies, two from each tribe, had remained friends with one another despite the bloodshed consuming Equestria. Twilight knew that, as long as what these six stood for remained remembered, there was hope for the future of ponykind. The main priority was to stop the war and prevent Opaline from completing her own plans.

In one last desparate effort, she summoned the entire planet's magic together. This magic was formed into three crystals, which she then broke apart. With the crystals disconnected, the three races lacked the capability to continue fighting-pegasi could no longer fly, unicorns could no longer cast spells, and earth ponies couldn't use magic to grow stuff. The disarray forced them into retreat in their own territories. The same was true of Opaline's army; without magic power, the machines ground to a halt. The Together Trees were rendered dormant by the loss of magic, and many perished in the following thousand years. Twilight also took the precaution of creating the invisibubble, a defence mechanism with was meant to prevent Opaline from getting in.

Twilight Sparkle entrusted the six ponies with the three crystals, ordering them to keep them safe. When the time was right, they would reunite them and restore magic to the land. Of course, nobody imagined how long that time would last.

Section 5: Splendid Isolation

The three tribes were unaware of Twilight's desparate act, and assumed the others had stolen the magic from the others. However, the earth ponies got completely the wrong idea from the vanishing of magic. As they retreated towards the coastlines of their territory, they were convinced that, one day, the unicorns and pegasi would return to finish the job. This led to them gearing the economy towards war production, and manufacturers of defensive gear such as CanterLogic coming to dominate earth pony society. The constant fear of invasion was what allowed the military-industrial complex to endure for thousands of years. After all, as Phyllis Cloverleaf herself observed, 'to be scared is to be prepared'.

The pegasi had already finished moving most of their resources before the magic cut out, and established their capital on top of a mountain. This was an exceptionally good position; the only land approach was extremely long, which meant that any invading army would be under fire throughout the climb. Once they reached the top, they would find a city full of natural chokepoints. In short, the city was the perfect fortress.

The pegasi also took advantage of their resources to push technological development. Unlike the earth ponies, however, they focused their efforts on making the lives of their citizens more comfortable. The result was the development of a democratic capitalist state with a heavy focus on a tech and service based economy. As a result, pegasi enjoyed the highest standard of living of any of the tribes, thanks to technological innovations such as TV, smartphones, and unparalled shopping opportunities. Curiously, the main broadcasting firm, ZBS, appears to be state owned.

The unicorns firmly got the short end of the stick, however. They relied on magic the most to get anything done, and with no ability to cast spells they became depressed and lethargic. This is what caused words associated with their enemies or magic to be considered bad.

But what of mayonnaise? Don't worry, I have an explanation for that. In an attempt to diversify their economy, the unicorns attempted to make mayonnaise. But it went wrong, and a town was consumed by a flood of mayo.

Opaline, in the meantime, retreated to a Castle built around a surviving Together Tree in the middle of nowhere to lick her wounds and plan for her eventual conquest of Equestria. Severely weakened by the loss of magic, she started recruiting agents across Equestria to observe the situation and prepare for the return of magic. Her most despicable act of recruitment constituted a foalnapping. Knowing of a young being that she could groom into a perfect pawn, she dispatched an agent to isolate and abduct a filly named Misty Blossomforth. Once taken to the Castle, Opaline then proceeded to brainwash her into forgetting her past. This is why bits of her past randomly flooded into her mind; the trauma of the brainwashing caused her to surpress the memories of her past until she was free of Opaline's influence.

Chapter 6: Reunified at Last

What became of the crystals and their bearers, I hear you ask. The bearers of the crystals went on to have foals of their own, and the crystals were passed down through the generations. Eventually, the crystals came into the hooves of their descendants: Sunny Starscout, the Royal Sisters, and Alphabittle (and, by logical extension, Misty). The crystals being a family heirloom goes a long way towards explaining why Queen Haven never removed the original version of the crown; having been told to ensure the crystal remains safe, she took her duty extremely seriously. Unfortunately, it seems as though nopony thought to tell either Pipp or Zipp of its importance; Zipp figured it out through years of research, whereas Pipp was completely oblivious as to the crystal's true power. And with the crystals reunited, Opaline's dark plan could finally role into motion. Having waited for the perfect moment for both the Dragons to reawaken and the Together Tree network to come back online, Opaline could complete the conquest she had begun nearly a millenia earlier.

And you guys know the rest. Let me know what you think of this theory in the comments below!

N.B. The following video should give you a pretty good idea of what I think the War looked like:

You probably aren't too far off the mark

But what formed the force field around Equestria keeping Opaline from entering?

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

Twilight created it.

Yeah, but when did that happen? You missed the part where she created the bubble that kept Opaline in check.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

Bollocks. I'll need to go back and edit this a bit more.

While it is true that "Nothing Lasts Forever", it's still painfully too quick for everything to fall to shit for Equestria.

I think that part of this has to do with the fact that Twilight literally has nothing to really justify her posting as a ruler outside of the word of Princess Celestia herself. And as shown time and again, when the situation gets tough; Twilight Sparkle is always the first to get going, endlessly following the advice of her kindly Teacher without showing any self-initiative to go in the direction of the protection and betterment of Ponykind to instead run away with her tail tucked between her legs and being told to leave her friends for dead. Content to rest on unearned laurels simply because shit seemed to have worked out in the end for whatever bullshit reason instead of actual competency and careful planning on Twilights' part.

The horrible thing about this? This is a conversation that I have taken part in several times before...

It is the only logical conclusion to be seen. Despite all that Princess Celestia has done to prepare for Twilight Sparkle, no matter how much she wanted for Twilight's reign to be more memorable than Celestias' own, but in the end... I think Joshua said it best:  

"Only Caesar can lead the Legion."

We have followed Twilight from the very beginning, and over time her natural sense of curiosity and leadership was slowly eroded over time, replaced solely by more and more of her blind faith in Princess Celestias' very word. Since her first Coronation following her ascendance, she had surrendered herself completely to the whims of "Destiny", a Destiny that wasn't made by her own hooves, but decided upon by Celestia. Throughout Season 4, Twilight had struggled and lamented about trying to find her own place in this world; acting more like a lost little lamb than as a leader we had seen of her before, she had lost her sense of agency and drive to accomplish stuff on her own, turning instead for the approval of Celestia to go and do whatever it is commanded of her in that moment. If she lamented about not having anything to do that would qualify her position as Princess, she could have done a number of things in the months already following that she could have taken full advantage of, one of which I could believe she would have been perfect for: Starting an alliance of her own with the Diamond Dogs.

While the initial meeting between their two groups in the past wasn't one that had ended on good terms, things could have became different the second time around. Twilight could have tried to reach out to the Diamond Dogs in a sense of understanding and take a chance to try learning about their own culture and values to why they would want to dig up gemstones inside of the cave. Perhaps there is some connection that isn't known about, that had allowed for these canines to develop bipedalism, basic speech, and a semi-intelligent community of their own compared to that of common dogs.
Understanding what it is that makes the Diamond Dogs who they are, Twilight could try to reach out and help them in little ways such as food, medicine, tools in-exchange for building materials that the Diamond Dogs could provide. Perhaps even among their numbers, there are Diamonds-in-the-rough: talented builders, artists, and stonemasons; whose skills could be nurtured and encouraged to achieve many a great thing. When the time would be right, Twilight could help in the establishment of a surface-bound village for the Diamond Dogs that could better help facilitate trade between themselves and Ponyville much easier, to help bring in those talented Diamond Dogs to help contribute however they would know to Ponyville in order to make life for its residents a bit easier: Cobblestone roads instead of dirt paths to prevent wagon wheels from snapping apart in mud. Stone bridges that can withstand flooding more than their own wooden bridges, things of that nature. Given enough time around Ponyville, the Diamond Dogs would become more close and neighborly towards them, integrating both communities as one with the Diamond Dogs taking on other work that wouldn't have been possible for them beforehand. In the end of it, the Diamond Dogs would have been grateful for all that Twilight had in that moment done for them and how she had needed a proper seat of power within Ponyville, and would have built a castle for her after Tirek had destroyed the Golden Oaks Library, taking the Crystal Tree into account to build a keep around the aforementioned tree and having the grounds be the perfect evacuation point should another threat arise within Ponyville so its denizens could retreat to for protection.

Beyond Twilight's own diminished sense of agency and desire for leadership, there is also the matter of how Equestria has been built up and shaped over the course of 1000 years; shaped not by the scope and understanding of their own history, but by the scope and worship that its' people have for Celestia: viewing her not as a mere ruler like Platinum, but as an eternal Goddess that is far above them.

Due to this uplifting, it has had profound effects on how the other Alicorns thaat lead Equestria operates by, viewing them not as equals to Celestia but as subordinate to Celestia herself in how important they are by comparison. One needs to look no further than this than with Celestia's own sister Princess Luna; the unloved and abandoned younger sibling of Celestia who had lashed out at the world for not giving her the dues and accolades she had needed and were owed. Staying only within Celestia's shadow for most of her tenure as ruler. When Luna finally couldn't take the pain of loneliness any longer; she had rightfully lashed out at her sibling for how their own subjects that they should rule over together had treated Luna with scorn, fear, and even contempt. Instead of taking measures to resolve this problem or to talk it over with Luna like a responsible older sibling should, instead what we saw was the face of an unwavering ruler that wouldn't bend the knee or even seek to reason with or appeal Luna to try calming her down; inflaming the hatred that Luna felt even further than she did before. And we all know the end result of that...

...What isn't well-known is that Celestia herself had the power all along to help free her Sister from the Moon whenever she had felt like it, but simply endeavored to leave her trapped up there for 1000 years as the world went by; slowly forgetting more and more of Princess Luna and growing ever-fearful of the figure of Nightmare Moon as Celestia went about calling her as.

When she was finally released from her imprisonment, there was very little that Luna could actually do to lead Equestria. Regardless of whether she lived within the palace that Celestia had built, filled with servants that Celestia had chosen among the populace of ponies that all worshipped Celestia in cities that Celestia had controlled: Luna is knowingly now more alone than she had ever been before, all she could do now to avoid another 1000 years spent caged on the Moon is simply to nod and accept this new gilded cage that Celestia had fashioned for her own sister. A Slave and a Prisoner to Princess Celestia, in all but name.

Stepping away from familial matters, there is also the fact regarding the national defenses of Equestria being controlled at the whims of a mare that does not seem to care at all for her own peoples' protection at the cost of their ideologies of Friendship and Destiny. A King that cannot protect their people properly is not a King. If you need an example of what a pacifistic leadership can bring, I offer not an example from within My Little Pony, but examples within the ever-fragile rulership of Duchess Satine Kryze of Mandalore, who herself had preached about pacifism, yet had left Mandalore defenseless from brigands and cartels due to her stance as the leader of the Neutral Systems during the height of the Clone Wars.

Or more-recently with the slow-to-action leadership of Mon Mothma when establishing the Alliance To Restore the Republic that saw the rise of the New Republic that had once more repeated the same mistakes of the Galactic Republic that caused its' own downfall in the end.

All three leaders have one fundamental quality in-common, and it is the naïve belief that just because your own people are willing to agree to a rule of pacifism; does not mean that others within will just accept this, or that those outside will not try to take any advantage that presents itself to them. And such threats are indeed present beyond Equestria as there are threats within Equestria...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum: "If you want Peace, than prepare for War."

To really think that a group such as large as The EEA can act upon their own against the authority of the Royal Sisters is an anomaly in itself is considered ignorance at its' best. There are very well those within such positions of power and authority that have grown insular to control portions of the government for themselves with Celestia being completely unaware of their involvement or even of their very actions. The racist ideologies once preached by the Equestrian Education Association isn't at the root of things, there is also the general attitude that exists between Pegasi and Unicorns towards Earth Ponies; who even after leaving Equestria are still at the very bottom of the totem pole due to how little influence they even have to stand up against Weather-Manipulation and Magical-Prowess, something that was taken advantage of by the Legion of Doom just days before the Coronation.

For all that we do know, there are probably Pro-Unicornia Nobles within Canterlot that are holdouts of the beliefs once held by them from the days of Princess Platinum when they resolved to move and create Equestria, Pro-Unicornias that are waiting for the right moment to at long last strike out and take control over Equestria: having already brought the Seat of Power within Equestria to the city of Canterlot as opposed to the Castle Of Two Sisters. And now with such an impressionable mare like Twilight who has no agency of her own, brought far away from her friends and has chosen to take Celestias' place within Canterlot; she is now easily the most vulnerable pawn in their little game that all of them **WILL** be taking full advantage of: an Alicorn that is in possession of not just sole rulership of Equestria, but of a device that can allow one to move the Sun and Moon at will on their own without needing to sacrifice their own Magical abilities in the process.

If you doubt the veracity of this claim, and want proof of it happening: I shall bring your attention to nowhere else but Alicornundrum, the third part of the Nyxverse Saga written by Ralph "Reality Check" Hayes Jr. In the seventh chapter, Twilight Sparkle is made aware of an incident that had happened following her Ascendancy and her Coronation; her father parttook in a number of celebratory toasts that congratulated his own childs' Ascension, yet during the festivities Duke Blueblood had hoofed over a sheet of parchment while dear Night Light was completely hammered and told to sign it, when he finally became sober hours later did he realize exactly what it was that Night Light had signed: A Marriage Contract. A Marriage Contract that had promised the newly-crowned Princess Twilight Sparkle to Prince Blueblood. Naturally when he and Twilight Velvet went to go and try to annul the contract did Duke Blueblood read them both the fine print that says should the Marriage be annulled, than the entirety of Sparkles' Estate and Wealth will be taken by Duke Blueblood for compensation. While the situation would be resolved, it just goes to show exactly how underhanded and competent certain ponies can be when they see something to take advantage of.

With all of that in-mind, it is very easy to see how in G5 Equestria had fallen once Twilight Sparkle was given control over it all. It was a nation that was solely built by Princess Celestia, and could only truly be ruled by Princess Celestia.

"The Legion dies with Caesar. What follows now is the last steps of a man that does not yet realize... that he is walking dead."

-Joshua Graham, Fallout: New Vegas

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

I'd argue that it is entirely plausible for an attempt to build a lasting peace to fall apart very quickly. In fact, it has happened in real life. The archetypal case is the interwar period. The people who stated that a war like the Great War could not happen again were left looking very foolish when 1939 rolled around.

The resentment was clearly always there between the Three Tribes, if we look at G4. Even back then the groups largely lived alone; Ponyville was unusual in that it had a balanced population of all three groups. The Doom Legion's rumours wouldn't have worked were there no base resentment to appeal to.

It may simply be the fact I'm pretty cynical, but the fact Twilight and co were unable to build a lasting peace really does speak volumes about her ability as a leader. As saddening as it is that Luster Dawn and co never really had a chance to shine, that's just a sad reality-war tends to do that.

I wouldn't be surprised if it involved some epic battle such as this one especially when some of the villains fused themselves together to become more powerful.

...a hard truth aesop that nothing truly lasts forever.

The main question on everybody's minds was this-what caused an apparently harmonious society to fracture so dramatically?

Fallen Civilizations

edit: Empires

Too bad it wasn't this song

RedRanger3142
Group Admin

Misty Blossomforth, huh? Better than Misty Arcana, which I have seen people refer to her as, but to me the only name for her will always be Misty Brightdawn. On the note of Opaline foalnapping Misty though, I don’t think that’s what happened. The invisabubble would have kept Opaline from getting anywhere near Bridlewood unless she went via the tree network, which she didn’t discover until Nightmare on Mane Street. Rather, I think Misty accidentally teleported herself to Opaline. The flashback Misty got when she touched the Wishing Tree was that she put her hoof on it as a filly, then the fog surrounded her and when it cleared she was suddenly in a different place. The fog in her memory might not have been actual fog but that’s how she remembers it because her young mind couldn’t comprehend that she’d somehow teleported. The Together Trees in Maretime Bay and Zephyr Heights were only grown by the main cast during the series so the Wishing Tree and the tree Opaline’s palace is built into are the only known Together Trees that would have been around at the time, so if Misty did somehow manage to access the tree network there’s only one place it could’ve sent her.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

Suddenly I want to write a story based on that.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

The invisabubble would have kept Opaline from getting anywhere near Bridlewood unless she went via the tree network, which she didn’t discover until Nightmare on Mane Street.

Opaline appears to show awareness of the tree network existing, but as you correctly point out she couldn't use it as it was mostly cut off. When I meantioned Opaline foalnapping Misty, what I meant was that she got one of her agents to do the dirty work. I'll go back and reword that section to make it clearer.

Hello Blue EM2,

I was directed to this forum by NicLove.

Great detail on the potential timeline.

I thought you could have illustrated the underlying distrust between the tribes by referencing the Season 9 episode, "The Summer Sun Setback" and how easy it was for the Legion of Doom to pit the tribes against each other.

I actually did have a thought regarding the continuity between G4 and G5. Based on everything I have been able to gather, nobody from G5 has made reference to any actual events that occurred during G4 shows. Instead it is simply a broad generalization that there used to be a kingdom called Equestria and it was ruled by Twilight Sparkle with her friends (along with a few other details). I don't think I have seen any mention of Chrysalis, The Pony of Shadows, or even just Trixie while they were major characters in G4.

My personal hypothesis is that the events in the G4 TV series are embelishments of ancient history in G5. Basically, there are some records from Equestria (like scraps from Twilight's book) and verbal stories. These have been gathered and embellished to flesh out a story that, while it covers real events, has so many things added to it that it would count as historical fiction.

To provide a real world example, take the siege of Troy. We have the archeological records of the fall of Troy and scattered mentions of the city. However, most people whom have heard of the city know it from The Iliad by Homer, which is easy to see an embelished tale of an actual historical event.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

My personal hypothesis is that the events in the G4 TV series are embelishments of ancient history in G5. Basically, there are some records from Equestria (like scraps from Twilight's book) and verbal stories. These have been gathered and embellished to flesh out a story that, while it covers real events, has so many things added to it that it would count as historical fiction.

I've actually used this concept in one of my story series, funnily enough. Thanks for your feedback; I'll make some adjustments in line with your suggestions.

7889039 7889121

sp the Theory of G4 being a Show/story in G5 is true !?

That is amazing.

Could you let me know which series? I would be extremely interested.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

It's one I have used. As the previous user notes, legends of our society are based in fact; Robin Hood was probably based on a number of different people who lived in 13th Century England, for example.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

The stories in the series can be read in any order. I, however, would suggest starting with Zipping It.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

Np. Let me know what you think.

If anyone is curious about how Grogar, Tirek, Sombra, and the Storm King fused together, this is how it happened.

If you doubt the veracity of this claim, and want proof of it happening: I shall bring your attention to nowhere else but Alicornundrum, the third part of the Nyxverse Saga written by Ralph "Reality Check" Hayes Jr.

When I saw the word "proof", I expected a reference to something that happened in actual show, not a fanfic. :P I would have used "a possible way it could have happened" or similar phrase instead. "Proof" is too strong a word for something that comes from non-canon story.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

This is fairly typical for Ohvist; he tends to use fanon as canon.

Perhaps this is how Opaline first tried to rise to power.

The Blue EM2
Group Admin

Thank you. I have since turned this theory into a video.

any Video that I should add to this post ?

I was talking about this Post
how to Create Lore

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 33