Uncommon Dazzling Ships 272 members · 441 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
forbloodysummer
Group Admin

Each month we will be spotlighting one pairing, or suggesting a writing prompt. As you may have seen on the main page, this month's area of focus is Sonata x Flash.

Flash Sentry is a character who fanfiction has given a lot more depth to than canon has, with writers going out of their way to make him more than just a one-dimensional 'nice guy' stereotype. He has a history of unfortunate crushes on girls from Equestria, and what could be more unfortunate for him than the chaotic naivety of Sonata Dusk? Flash even becomes a lot more fun during Rainbow Rocks, thanks to siren influence ("Whatever, Trixie!"). And then, when the sirens lose their gems, Flash might be one of the characters big enough to not further kick them when they're down, and supportive enough to help them back on their feet.

What would someone who spends her life with opinionated, confrontational women see in someone as much of a pushover as Flash? Why would Flash be interested in someone who put all his friends in danger? Here's a well-regarded sample of the ship (though I'm not at all keen on its take on Adagio and Sunset), but we need you to write more! Maybe Sonata seduces Flash just to annoy Sunset and Twilight, which sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe Flash thinks he can show Sonata the value of friendship and ends up being proven sorely wrong. Maybe Sonata figures the Rainbooms won the battle of the bands because they played guitars, and so resolves to learn guitar from Flash. Maybe Flash just feels he owes the sirens a chance, after they provided a way for the whole school to rally around Sunset.

Enamouring artwork provided by themexicanpunisher, with the piece further up by rileyav, may they inspire you to come up with a delightful new tale of the Prom King and the Pariah.

This is a crackship that I’ve found pretty interesting for a few years now, be nice to see it get some more love.

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

6873180 Hi! I saw your story was one of the 18 with Flash and Sonata both tagged, and wondered about listing it as the previous example here, but it looked like it included several different ships, rather than just focusing on this one.

I think Flash would feel like a step down for Adagio, and woefully ill-matched for Aria, but with Sonata I can see them being on the same level and having fun together, as well as each bringing out different sides in the other.

Thanks for noticing and those are some good reasons to like the ship

This is overall a bit of a rougher one for me, because in general Sonata is my least favorite of the sirens and Flash has never stuck out that much to me in canon, although I've liked at times how he's been shown in fanfiction.

That being said, Flash is in a nice position where, yeah, he'd likely be considerate enough to want to help the sirens, but removed enough from the loss of their magic that they wouldn't hold a grudge against him... probably at all, unless he's deemed guilty by virtue of association with Twilight and stuff?

And personality-wise, I think there's some good potential here! One issue I usually have with Sonata is that she feels quite subdued and down-to-earth compared to her larger-than-life sisters, but having Sonata being with someone much plainer would be a nice way to highlight her own eccentricities. She'd probably be waaay too much for him to handle, and I could see that being pretty great.

Maybe Sonata figures the Rainbooms won the battle of the bands because they played guitars, and so resolves to learn guitar from Flash.

This sounds so adorable and so Sonata! :heart: Would be tempted to try writing it if I hadn't done a guitar-learning bit in a recent-ish story already :twilightsheepish:

forbloodysummer
Group Admin

6873801 I agree, he's much closer to a neutral party than the Rainbooms are. He's also not unpopular at school, so his opinion might carry some weight if he forgave them, which might be a further reason for the sirens to seek him out. One imagines Aria would be completely fine with being hated by everyone, but I could see Sonata not enjoying it so much. If she noticed, that is.

I think they'd make a fairly conventional pairing of a straight-laced one and a wacky one, whether that's for a buddy comedy or a romantic one. We presume Flash is kind of used to being overshadowed by his women, and I can't really picture sirens being used to anything but overshadowing everyone, so in that respect they'd fit quite nicely.

Developing from that, we've seen Flash being long-suffering before, whether it's putting up with Twilight not knowing if she's coming or going in EG1, or Sunset's past demeanour, or some of the LOE-era things since. And, again, there I think he could be quite good with Sonata, because she's not so mean-spirited about it as Sunset was, or so believing-herself-blameless as Twilight. So I think Flash spending his life standing wide-eyed before Sonata's antics, or running around after her trying to stop the worst of the damage, would be funny, sweet, and kind of a happy ending for him.

This sounds so adorable and so Sonata! :heart: Would be tempted to try writing it if I hadn't done a guitar-learning bit in a recent-ish story already :twilightsheepish:

I think, looking at your recent stories, Sonata is the only character not yet to play guitar?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6