Time Action Glory Challenge! 95 members · 176 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
Impossible Numbers
Group Admin

Since we're roughly two-thirds of the way through the year, and since I've neglected these over the summer, I thought it was about time I revived the monthly prompt writing challenges. While I won't make any excuses for the long gap, and while I am aware that the challenges have progressively received less and less attention, nevertheless I will use Masterweaver's latest post as a springboard to see if there's still some life in us yet.

With that in mind, my prompt of the month is simple enough. The emphasis is on side characters, those who feature prominently in one or two episodes but who don't, by and large, steal the spotlight from our main characters. Since there are so many, perhaps it would be a good time to try:

Side Act, Double Act

The rule is quite simple: write a story using at least two side characters from our list. The emphasis is on those tags still languishing under 100 stories, so while you can use graduated side characters, at least one of the two has to be a non-graduate.*

*N.B. If you want to use a side character not listed below for a pairing, be my guest. This is just to let you be flexible in your approach, though; the emphasis is chiefly on undergraduates.

And that's it! That's all I ask. The deadline is the last midnight of September in your timezone, but really I'm not going to fuss if it turns up the day after (the day after the day after is definitely pushing it). So have a look, pick a pair, and reap what you sow! 'Tis the month of harvests, after all.

I hope you take part. If you have any questions, just ask me and I'll get back to you ASAP. Good luck! :twilightsmile:

Undergraduates (48):
Breezies, Cherry Jubilee, Coloratura, Coriander Cumin, Cranky Doodle Donkey, Double Diamond, Dragons, Gabby, Garble, Hoity Toity, Limestone Pie, Little Strongheart, Mane-iac, Marble Pie, Matilda, Minotaur, Moonlight Raven, Mr. Stripes, Ms. Harshwhinny, Night Glider, Party Favor, Plaid Stripes, Quibble Pants, Saffron Masala, Sapphire Shores, Sassy Saddles, Seabreeze, Sky Stinger, Spoiled Rich, Steven Magnet, Sugar Belle, Sunburst, Sunshine Smiles, Suri Polomare, Svengallop, Tantabus, Tender Taps, The Smooze, Timberwolves, Treehugger, Trenderhoof, Troubleshoes, Twinkleshine, Vapor Trail, Wind Rider, Yaks, Zebra, Zephyr Breeze

Graduates (8):
Bulk Biceps, Ember, Griffons, Moondancer, Photo Finish, Power Ponies, Royal Guard, Thorax

1128 possible pairings (1 undergraduate, 1 undergraduate)
384 possible pairings (1 graduate, 1 undergraduate)
TOTAL: 1512 possible pairings

CoffeeMinion
Group Admin

So let it be written, so let it be done. :rainbowdetermined2:

Impossible Numbers
Group Admin

Excellent! You made it in time! Well played, good sir! :twilightsmile:

Darn, though, have I gotta pick up the pace. :twilightoops:

Impossible Numbers
Group Admin

Ha ha! Finally, I got something. A weird something, but I'm not fussy. Suri and Matilda both advance one story up the league table with Knitted Encouragement.

Well, two contestants means we're insanely popular again. Prompts ahoy, mateys! :trollestia:

Impossible Numbers
Group Admin

Thanks for the nice comment!

I saw that get posted but haven't had time to read it yet.

Eh, don't feel obliged. Quite apart from your general freedom to choose, this one is as fluffy as eiderdown even compared with my last Rarity fic. It has a happy ending, for a start.

I've got a Suri fic in the works too, but it won't be completed this month.

I know the syndrome all too well. Suri Polomare is a pain of a character when it comes to stories. Since this group started, I've had way too many ideas for her, but I haven't gotten around to any of them yet (barring the obvious recent exception). I wish you better luck than me.

Hopefully onward and upward from here on.

Hopefully indeed! Given next month ends with Hallowe'en, my next prompt will probably have a "ghouls and ghosts" theme of some kind.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7