Reviewers Cafe 576 members · 410 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

Story: The Book of Ended Lives
Author: Loganberry
Verdict: 9/10
Accepted
Reasoning: This story is a very unique one. While my first—and only criticism, really—is that the premise is a bit odd; I have to counter my initial reaction with the fact that good stories rarely follow the same vein. It’s different, I suppose, but in a way less of “why did they think of that?” and more of “why didn’t I think of that?” In short, this fic is about a pony who catalogues all the deaths of Ponyville, or ‘ended lives’. Yes, this includes non-sentient animals too. Despite the OC of this plot, Applejack is the true main focus. She, after reporting she has bucked a Timberwolf in the face (thus killing it), details her past interactions with a Timberwolf. And it is not pretty. A Timberwolf had attacked her family seven years ago, and the only thing that saved her and the rest of her family was Winnie. Yep, Winona had a granny. This idea alone is good, but combined with the Book of Ended Lives (a book dealing with a concept perhaps the colorful, little equines aren’t necessarily comfortable with), it’s something new all together. The story ends with the OC contemplating Applejack’s visit, and perhaps the fact that life and death aren’t so black and white. I’m accepting this story into the Cafe because of it’s great and sensitive plot, it’s pretty, flowery language, and an ending that leaves an impact. (Fluttershy’s parts, despite how short, are also surprising powerful).

Thank you! :twilightsmile: I'm proud of this story, so I'm very pleased (and flattered) that you liked it so much. I agree that it's an unusual premise, but I think it works in an Equestrian setting in a way it probably wouldn't in a human one. That sort of thing tends to appeal to me. I can't remember now exactly where the idea came from, but I do recall that the short Fluttershy section came to me early on in the process. One day, I'd like to expand on what I wrote there, as I think Fluttershy has quite a story to tell. (Think Estee's classic Five Hundred Little Murders, though of course with plenty of differences.)

Thank you! :twilightsmile: I'm proud of this story, so I'm very pleased (and flattered) that you liked it so much.

Thank you for submitting!

One day, I'd like to expand on what I wrote there, as I think Fluttershy has quite a story to tell.

Ooh, that sounds very interesting:yay:

I am confused as to what you mean... I wrote the author at the top. Do you mean I didn’t directly link to then user’s page?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6