Comments ( 130 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 130
Well Geboren
Group Admin

So as the title may suggest, this is one of many books in "The Gang" verse that is needed to writ it. After said books are made, they will be put together and posted on fimfic, for easy access by us. And to act as free advertising, so lets get started on the first one shall we?

Book title; "Pony Breeds, Anatomy and Hybrids. by Dr, species"

Description; Holds knowledge of the different pony breeds, how they came to be. There anatomy, and an assortment of hybrids of a pony nature.

Starting with some anatomy( you guys can give your own suggesting's for anatomy in the comments)of the lower foreleg, the cannon is like the palm of your hand and the fetlock is like a giant index finger. And going from the frog inside the hoof to where the fetlock and the cannon met, is a bald spot of ridged skin that gives the ponies the same grip that geckos have.

How to suggest a pony breed or a hybrid.(these are also my own suggestions)

Breed; Earth pony.
Sub Breed; Crystal pony.
Ability's; capable of manipulating the aspects of crystals to there desired affect, they can also absorb crystalline property's into them selves for a sort period of time (between 4 to 12 hours depending on magical stamina).
Description; Crystal ponies where once a group of Earth ponies, that thru the continues use of crystal alchemy evolved over a few generations into what they are now. Discerning between genders you just look at there size, the mares are smaller then the stallions. They live in the city of Crystopolis, (Along with four other towns along the southern border of the crystal empire) that is protected by there greatest achievement in crystal manipulation. The crystal heart.

I'm not completely sure about this one,it is my ponysona breed so your advises is welcome.

Breed; Earth pony.
Sub Breed; Grim.
Ability's;
Description;

Right, so let the pony making began.

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5175481 I call dibs on developing the gryphons with 5 or 6 races/breeds of them that developed some minor abilities, like the mountain breed would have a 6th sence that predicted near future, what helped them evade rock slides. I also want them to be kindda a parael to the Slavic nations, because I like to shove in a pice of home evrywhere. (Gryphonstone is Alaska)

I also have a few intresting edits upon the griffins themselves, most notably them beeing only birds, with only cat-like design but without actual feline body parts. I would also give them the ability to develop their magical abilities and become mages who can go toe-to-toe with unicorns in magical combat, as they can use dark magic withoit corruptive effect on their mind.

We have to think abaut what abaut Hippogriffins - are we doing them or not. I kindda want to say only the pegasi-gryffin relationship can produce such an offspring but it would also be amusing to see a hyppogryff with a yellow horn made of beak matter... :raritywink:

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Go for it, I can see them being something like this. Just start a another thread for it.:twilightsmile:

And yes we have hippogrifs hear, there a hybrid so put them down in this thread.

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5177018 The only edit I wanted to do is to get rid of the cat-ish backside. In case of the first art - the author is Equestria-Prevails and his visuals are going the same direction as my idea.

My proposed gryphon Breeds:
-GorGryphs: A moutain breed of Gryphons, known for their ability to predict danger and ussually have large wingspan that helps flying on high altitude. They are ussually above average size and bulky.
-PolGryphs: A race of Gryphons that generes from the steppes and prefers flat terrain. They have very powerful chest muscules that hold their wings, enabling long periodes of flight. They can even fly while sleeping and have very good eyesight, like hunting birds.
-MorGryphs: They orginate from seacoasts. They're fave trick is to dive underwater during flight, re-emerge from the sea a few secounds after and continue their flight as if nothing happened. Thus they also have a sleak body build, can rapidly change the direction of flight and have better reflexes.
-LesGryphs: In essence - wood gryphons. Their unique trait is their twisted instinct that will give them instructions what to do next without any real thinking or even if the actual sorroundings was never visited by gryphonkind before. That's why they rarely host a bright mind, fly silently and they're average size is under the species average but it's not unussual to find a very big one. This is the breed I wanted Kirkor to be off.
-SilGryphs: Small, Choppy Gryphs that lived underground - in caves, mines or gorges to the point of becoming essencially feathered dwarves. They're very strong and can fly even in the worst weather. They are ussually very practical minds who exel at metalurgy and mechanics.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

-MorGryphs: They orginate from seacoasts. They're fave trick is to dive underwater during flight, re-emerge from the sea a few secounds after and continue their flight as if nothing happened

That sounds like a seagull.

-LesGryphs: In essence - wood gryphons. Their unique trait is their twisted instinct that will give them instructions what to do next without any real thinking or even if the actual sorroundings was never visited by gryphonkind before. That's why they rarely host a bright mind,

O'k, this verses pinkie officially has a hippogrif in her family tree.:pinkiehappy:

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5177037 Well, the races would reasemble the birds living in their biomes. That would show in their beaks, for example Kirkore would have a thick, stubby beak that would help him smash hard fruit, like nuts that his ancestors lived-off in the forest.

And here i thought nobody will fish that out..

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Also to your comment on the other thread. I'm thinking of Centaurs as a magical hybrid, like with how celly and lulu had the ascendance spell. There are also hybrids by birth.

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5177047 That is sure - he is a hybryd but he has human parts in it. The human part had to come from somewhwere.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Ape, it was part of an ape before that with a spell, they made the centaurs.

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5177057 Oh. Well, if "Gorilla + Pony = Centaur" I'm okay with that... Tirek must have a very intresting family indeed...

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Well... he's brother was a gargoyle.:ajsmug:

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5177066 We don't have to follow the comic cannon. I know abaut Scorpan and the wierd Royal Parents - they and the whole kingdom smash all science behind hybrydisation itself.

How's our group? One of our guys was banned, are the rest 3 more-or-less present?

Well Geboren
Group Admin

The authority knight had that profile permanently banned, so I banned it to show he wasn't in the group thru it any more. Don't know when or if he'll be back, the other's are still present.

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5177073 Maybe we'll try to come together in one place to make some decisions or start scribing down something. I'm thinking next week, at a simlar time like now. What do you think?

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Hhmm, there's still a lot of world building to go before we start writing the book book, maybe bay the end of the month then will need to get together at the same time. Also lets not talk about that hear, this thread is man't for world building so start another if you please.:twilightsmile:

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5177077 Nice! I have my exams at the begining of the next month and I'll be free for four months.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5175481 I throw in my first addition based on a subject continuously touuched slightly upon; the maqctical items such as amulets and the like.
The first canon item being the Elements or the rainbow. Then we have the Alicorn amulet. Several other items has been on and off from time to time; some of which no longer counts as canon. There is always the Crystal heart.
How common are these items, and how strong would they commonly be? How easy would they be to come by, and what would the common price be on these items?
As for the matter of consequences of using these, that would be depending on the original design and how they were used. I like the idera of a slippery slope effect on corruptive powers of these items, holding you there for as long as you are connected to the item.
5177070 At least, I am still here.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5177778 I would say most of them would need to be earned, not brought and unique. But having the whole Cristal Heart is crazy, unless the Empire falls and we have the Princesses support by then. Having pices of the Crystal heart would be reasonable, and they could be used to make amulets out of them or ingrain them into gear to ubgrade. It would make an actual reason to visit the Icy North and working for Cadance. But the alicorn amulet should be the first item of highest rarity the team gets. I also have this small vision: the amulet has corruptive powers, so evry time it is equiped it's by a diffrent person, but still someone will get crazy from getting it.

As for the elements - I think they could be great endgame items. They would be stuff we accuire as a reward for our joirney from the tree of harmony, what means they should also come with unique virtues that describe us.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5178058 The Crystal Heart belongs in the Empire, that should never be moved from the position for any reason. That is after all the first and mane line of defence for the Empire, aside from the effect it has on the whole of Equestria. I like the idea of having Cadance being able to grant amulets to a select few and deserving Ponies. They have an abundance of Crystals and a special magic to go with it.
I like the idea to have the Amulets special, while not commonly unique. These could only be crafted by special Ponies, in the first place. The Ponies would live in special places, places with special importance fome one reason or the other.

The Alicorn Amulet would be a very special if not unique item, with exceptional power. Maybe the power is too great for a Pony to handle safely, which could be the reason why it is so distructive and corruptive in the first place?

Part of this would depend upon how we build our world. Yet, these vitrirtues would be part of the items building up the larger set. Maybe this is why they did not corrupt the wearers in the past as well? They only work if you are in ballance in the first place. Besides, I imagine they are stronger if you are connected to both the respective element, and the bearers of the other elements as well. An acumulative effect, as it wqere.

I was planning on having a special item of this nature, but this wouldn't enhance the abilities all that much. While it would allow the character to focus in a manner the type isn't commonly capable of.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5178280 I have a piece of headcannon that sounds EXTREMELY simlar. In my headcanon of a set of stories I want to write one day the Crystal Empire is a country created by the Crystal Heart itself. The Heart is the centre of a country-wide energy network that conducts emotional magic thought towers and relays found in each town of the empire. The banishment spell was conducted thought this energy field, so all thw settlements were banished. We could get that and make some of the items to be relays of that network, and gaining more power depending on the size of the team and proximity to the empire.

I also like the idea of getting those items from bosses, boss lairs or abandoned ruins. Bur in order to use them, they must be reforged, fixed and enchanted again. Sounds like a good mechanic for how the magical items of blue tier is going to work.

That why the team members would take turns with it. To not get exposed for too long individually and still use it.

I would also like to see them getting diffrent effects depending of who is the leader at the moment. One member initiating the Elements would summon the Harmony Lazer, other would aftivated Rainbow Power, other would create a LoveBlast. That would open more options.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5178333 Every once in a while, something from previous episodes and seasons are repurposed.
Maybe the banishment explain why the castle doesn't look as it did before? It would be the castle of Rainbows in Unicornia.

I have a story that comes to mind that has some semblance of what you just said. Pinkie Pie is using the castle as a humongous Unicorn Horn in order to do the magic no Pony could have dreamed up before or since. Being Pinkie Pie, she had to make a spectackle and a party out of that.
Going by Headcanion, or unproven theories, the heart is a, integral and essential part of the castle. Not just the heqart of their defences.

I guess you could gain power by linking an item to the Empire, in the same way you got power to the elements connected to the tree of Harmony?

Items dug out of ruins should be the once most likely to need some effort in reinitializing them, while they may have strong and special powers since long forgoten by the Ponies of current times

When you say Boss, it sounds like the once referered to in some games. You take over powers from the defeated boss/character. This should tie in well with our adventure based story line.

Adding, replacince, restoring/renewing old, worn out or malefunctioning enchantements is an interesting idea. Much of crystal magic would work on the basis that the crystal or gem had been empowered by some previous enchantement or powered by emotions and virtues. Each and every item would have its own workings you need to know, before safely engaging the item.

If you say that the effect depends on the leader of the group engaging the item? Now we need to ballance our characters in a formation similar to that of the Mane Six. This kind of dynamic isn't exactlöy unheard of. As a matter of fact, I imagine it is an important element in making the good story work. This organised personality structure is one of the important changes from MLP and FiM.

With the idea of having different result based on the current user, I guess you could compare this with the Poisoin Joke that created Flutter Guy and Hairity.

Sunglasses Indoors
Group Admin

So, to recap the thread:

Taxonomy of the Modern Pony Species through Phylogeny

Genus Equus
All members of genus Equus share a similar hoof structure, where the fetlock and canon, in coordination with the frog, form a pseudo-hand. This allows them to grasp things with their hooves, similar to how apes grasp items with their hands.
Equus Terra - "Earth Pony"
Equus Terra has more body mass than their cousins (fifty percent more than unicorns?), in the form of denser bones and more developed muscles.
Equus Terra Crystallum - "Crystal Ponies"
A sub-species of Equus Terra, the Crystallum have, through generations of cumulative adaptations, developed a crystalline epidermic layer three times thicker than skin; hard, yet pliant enough to move without fracturing. Additionally, they've developed quasi-magical abilities, and are able to absorb and manipulate the properties of crystals over short distances. Male and female body structure is largely homogeneous, with the exception that males are, without exception, larger than the females.
Equus Terra Morbidum - "Grim Ponies"
The page has been ripped below this point.
Equus Avium - "Pegasus"
Equus Avium, due to the aid of magic and a hollow bone structure, is capable of unaided flight across long distances. Additionally, they are able to directly interact with dense aerosols, like clouds, as if they were solid matter.
Equus Avium Vespertilio - "Night Ponies?"
A sub-species of Equus Avium, with special adaptations that allow them greater perception at night. Possibly includes echolocation, or a kind of sonic attack?
Equus Veneficium - "Unicorn"
Equus Veneficium ("making sorcery") is capable of manipulating the fabric of the physical world through a unique bone structure adorning its forehead. The leading explanation is that the horn connects to a special gland located within the skull, perhaps anchored to the frontal lobe. Alternatively, the horn might just be a focal point for some latent ability.

It looks mostly right to me. Having a gripping hoof be the defining characteristic of Genus Equus would make sense, since I don't think any other creature with pony-like characteristics would have a gripping hoof.

I dunno, is it too high-brow? I saw the thread and thought "Pony taxonomy!", which made me want to write something official-sounding. If it's just for our reference, maybe it's a bit much.

I'm still active as well, but I think I might be in a different time zone from everyone else. EST?

Well Geboren
Group Admin

5178333 5178710
Hay guys I don't mean to be rude, but did you see what
5178841 did? That's what this thread is about, so please leave your pony ideas hear and make another thread ( or two )for other things, and try to keep them to one topic each please. Also great ideas, keep them up.

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5178841 Most of you guys post eather in the morning, night and afternoon. If someone is in a wierd time zone, it's me. unless somebody is asian or australian...

5178710 Yeah. The Crystal Empire would be the place where would buff our non-magical items. I want also get Flash Sentry relocated to Ponyville and try with Twilight just to annoy the readers. XD

Not taking power from bosses. As in you defeat the boss and they drop something, you rip out a piece of their armour as they flee, cut out a piece of them, like claws of the Manticore... something like that. I want to steal the Regalia of Nightmare moon. They will call me a cross-dresser but it'll be worth it...

The part abaut initiating the power was abaut the Elements of Harmony. That mechanic would only work for them.

I imagined it still a bit diffrently: The whole team has the elements of harmony and they are starting to pump out magic. Here one of the team will channel the magic, much like Twilight does. Depending on who channels it, the magic will be emitted in a diffrent form, and who is it would also depend a bit on who hates the actual enemy to most. For example, if the team is ought to battle an army of Changelings - the channeler will be the one who is afraid of them the most.

And when I think abaut it, we should get the Elements mid-game. We would need to level thought pschological progress them up to gradually increase their power, so they would eventually become our way to end immortals and other superbosses. Because how a group of more-or-less normal ponies is supposed to top Queen Chrysalis? We would need to beat her up to the point of her weakening and then we would blast her with the Elements.

IDEA! :raritystarry: Poision Joke juice to apply on blades. And it causing crazy, random effects to cut enemies.

5178980 We saw an we're trying to stay at topic but we'll propably have to make a threat abaut game mechanics, item economy and player interaction areas regarding those.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Then make a thread for that, alright.

S.W.B.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Right on man:rainbowdetermined2:

S.W.B.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5179707 Nothing new there, really. Just the things I already proposed organised in a fashion and rewritten in a format easier to understand.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5179635 Link?
5179487 A few more threads would make more sense right now, like this since there is more room that topis on the list. Do you prefer we ask first, orjust post the threads?
5178841 If permittable, could you add the Sea Pony and Mer Pony as well.
Furthermore, if not too much to ask, make separate quotes for each type of Pony.
After that, I would love to see a few more details specifies on the various types of Ponies.
Unless specified otherwise, all Ponies have Magic. If there is no other word for the specific magic used by Unicorns, I would like to suggest to refer to it as Arcane Magic.

>>Could you please sepcify what you asked if I had seem or heard before?

Yeah. The Crystal Empire would be the place where would buff our non-magical items. I want also get Flash Sentry relocated to Ponyville and try with Twilight just to annoy the readers. XD

The Empire certainly is an utter gloss place to be. Buffing your it3ems there may be an interesting avenue to explore as well.
Having Flash Sentry stationed or living in Ponyvile could be interesting and fun.. Did you hope to have hem seeing Twilight Sparkle as he is there? Does he have a colt living in Ponyville too, as has been suggested based on the design of one seen in Ponyviulle before.

Not taking power from bosses. As in you defeat the boss and they drop something, you rip out a piece of their armour as they flee, cut out a piece of them, like claws of the Manticore... something like that. I want to steal the Regalia of Nightmare moon. They will call me a cross-dresser but it'll be worth it...

If you pick up a dropped item from a fallen foe, you would be wielding the power of said item, right?
On that end, it is a uniform, regardless of the gender of said Pony who previously were wearing it. Had it been any of her personal affects or clothes I guess you had been quite correct, though.
Taking the power from the boss, as in Megaman? I guess that could be considered canibalism? I wouldn't be overly comfortable with that part.

The part abaut initiating the power was abaut the Elements of Harmony. That mechanic would only work for them.

Going by show, they spent a section of time to explain why you got your element. Then they gave each an episode to give yout the element control without the actual item it came from. There is the item of the Alicorn Amulet actually binding with the wielder. The strength of the required connection could be a sign and measurement of the strength and reliability of your magical items.

I imagined it still a bit diffrently: The whole team has the elements of harmony and they are starting to pump out magic. Here one of the team will channel the magic, much like Twilight does. Depending on who channels it, the magic will be emitted in a diffrent form, and who is it would also depend a bit on who hates the actual enemy to most. For example, if the team is ought to battle an army of Changelings - the channeler will be the one who is afraid of them the most.

That is one strategy, and it is good to have a set tactics on how to handle the issue. While I would prefer to front the one best knowledgeable with the issue at hoof.

And when I think abaut it, we should get the Elements mid-game. We would need to level thought pschological progress them up to gradually increase their power, so they would eventually become our way to end immortals and other superbosses. Because how a group of more-or-less normal ponies is supposed to top Queen Chrysalis? We would need to beat her up to the point of her weakening and then we would blast her with the Elements.

It would be bad drama if Checkov's gun is left on the chelf for too long. The Elements is after all the final weapon to end the conflict, so it can't be used early on in the adventure. For the sake of drama, it is best if we pick up some small items first, then a few medium and large once, before we get to the Elements.

IDEA! :raritystarry: Poision Joke juice to apply on blades. And it causing crazy, random effects to cut enemies.

Ponified version of Poison, in true MLP and FiM styly. :pinkiegasp:

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5180137 'Ere u go 'Ere u go 'Ere u go

Imagine the possible quests: Twi requires a new species of flowers that started appearing in Everfree we escort Flash, the looser there to pick them up and back. Or we help the guy find the rioters who beat him up - and it ends up them beeing the flower ponies which got scared of something again and stampeded over Flash.

Yeah. That is if the item is magical in a buffy way. Most stuff is devoid of resident magic, thus there is no power to be wiealded, and most magic even if it is there - it only affects the weapon upping it's attributes but otherwize not granting any real powers in most cases. Unless we're talking addons on unicorn horns, magic scrolls or rune stones; they can provide with ability of wielding some REAL power!

Well, when you conquer a boss, you just loot her/his body. Take whatever armour the pony has, weapons, armour, ANY kind of gear or if the said enemy is a giant beast - it propably will puke gear of those which tried to take him down before you. No canibalism or skirim nonsence. Unless somepony wants to be a dragonborn but then Spike will kill you in your sleep...

Good idea with that measuring thing but I already proposed a rarity system in the other threat.

Our propable starting areas - Canterlot and Ponyville - don't sell guns. You can buy this stuff in Manehuttan and Appleloosa, or Griffonstone if we ever venture there. But in the most part we'll se the stuff in midgame, and even then it'll take some time we're allowed to get the effective stuff and upgrade it to a proper state.

Ikr. XD

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Post them if you feel the need to post them I say.:moustache:

S.W.B.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5180642 Since the original base would be in or close to the library in the Everfree, the first objective would be to secure thaat base, before we go to Ponyville and help Ponies with anything and everything within our power to perform. Eeither just to be nice and build up our reputation, before we are known; or to gather resorces for the larger missions up ahead. As dangerous as the forest is, but it is a good place for the first base.

I see items posessing Positive magic protecting and strengthening the wielder,
Neutral magic strengthening, sharpening and maintaining the weapon,
and the negative that is actually hurting the foe directly.

Then you simply loot the boss and take everything he has on his person, leaving a nude corpse?
The only use of the body is if it could be made usable by any means, which may include selling the flesh to carnivores and skinning him?
If any of us feels up to doing this in real life, that is.

Then we stick to your Rarity, while there may be room for improvement and such.

Ponyville seems the most logical first place to go, once we have established our first base.
Canterlot seems as if it is fairly close by, so unless there is a reason to go to any other place before that.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5183405 The castle as a forward base in the forest itself.

Because I belive some of them are immortals. Aka. they eather pass out or escape in a way. And they're at full power when they wake up. So we are going to loot them asap and get out of their range.

The rarity centralises on how we get items and doesn't take improvemnt into consideration.

We are walking into mercenary bussiness. At some point the jobs are Ponyville are going to end and we'll have to find new problems to slay. Canterlot is the next natural step.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

5183405 5183583
The castle is the base, also please move it to this thread. The Gang - item and economy mechanics
Thank you.

S.W.B.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5183583 Since it is canonized that it is where the castle is, why bother moving it?

If they truely are, we are little more than a momentary distraction, to them. Still no point in leaving the items we need, where they fell?

I did not mean improvement to the items, but the subject as presented. Even Rarity herself is not perfect, you know.

Ponyville is but the first stepping stone. As we learn and progress, it is more fun and rewearding to move up to more challenging quests. Besiudes, we can help more Ponies, if we take a location at the time. Just a matter of where you go from Ponyville, and then the next and the next.

I guess Canterlot is a good place to go.

Slavenger Karl
Group Admin

5184383 Those are wonky subjets and there will always be some imperfections with it. I tried to paint a Rough picture.

Sunglasses Indoors
Group Admin

Here's a potential entry for bat-ponies in the bestiary or whatever. I'm working on filling it out, and possibly doing a bestiary for all the other sentient races on Equus. If it's cool with everyone, just send me a brief description of the pony-thing you're adding, and I'll add it in.

And 5180137 , I'm doing seaponies tomorrow. If anything conflicts with the lore, change it and let me know.

Genus Equus Avium Vespertilio - "Bat-ponies"
An offshoot of Equus Avium. It shares many traits with Equus Avium: hollow bones; oily coat; heightened perception; sleek muscles; ability to interact with aerosols, and susceptibility to physical trauma. It has, through generations of accumulative mutations, become adapted to night-time flying. The pupils in its eyes have adopted a slit shape, and the eyes have developed tapetum lucidum - a reflective lens within the eye that helps to refract light into the retinas, allowing for greater night vision. This makes them highly susceptible to bright flashes of light, and when combined with strong ultrasonic frequencies, will thoroughly disorient them.

In addition, Equus Avium Vespertilio has developed a bat-like set of organs within the ear and mouth, allowing them to hear and emit ultrasonic frequencies that lie just outside the range of normal hearing. To ponies with normal hearing, this sounds like a 'ringing' in their ear, and it persists for up to ten minutes after exposure, dependant on the strength of the frequency. The membranous wings of Equus Avium Vespertilio allow it greater air maneuverability than is possessed by Equus Avium, though at the cost of lift and top speed.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5187453 While there may be room for improvement to it, but there should be a Thread for these, which should be stickied to the top of the list of threads.
If or when you do post it, you could place all of the various Ponies in a nice and convenient order. On that note. was there a Flutter Pony mentioned or suggested before? if not, that would be a nice addition to the grand total. For what is known of the Alicorn, these needs to be mentioned too.

Are there any further Ponies we like included here?

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Leave what ever type of pony you know of up hear, just remember that not all will make the cut for this book; but may be seen latter on in the story.

S.W.B.

Sunglasses Indoors
Group Admin

I thought this whole thread's purpose was proposing Pony species and hybrids. Don't worry: it will be more ordered when it's finished, but I think it's more important in the developmental stages for the ideas to be out in the open and discussed.

I'm curious as to how you think this could be improved. Even if you're right, telling me "it sucks" doesn't tell me what the problem is.

Oh, crap. Almost forgot about Alicorns. :twilightblush:

As for Flutter ponies, how would they be different from your run-of-the-mill Pegasus?

Ponyess
Group Admin

5190097 We seems to have plenty of fun, going over these items. Just that it seems fairly easy to make a list of the available Pony types already. If the acceptable types are in a comprehencable list, we could see what is missing, and what is lacking in expressed quality.

Since is was made clear that we go over the various items on the stages of world building before we make our characters, it is important to have all the items on the Ponies and nabouring species hammered down in crisp detail before we can start building characters. Once it was lined up in detail about the various common types of Ponies, I feel it would be fun to see theem on one list.

Telling someone that it sucks, as you put it would be plain rude, while voicing that there is rume for improvement is the more polite way to put it. This is why I feel it would be good to see all types lined up so we can compare and see where the details could be added, removed or altered in order to make them fit together in our story universe.

Even if we ourselves will not be Alicorns, it is good to have them described. If for no other reason that to see what is out there. While I imagine we are bound to be dealing with them at one time or the other, for various reasons. The Princesses are Alicorns, and we are bound to see them.

Aside from the most obvious physical trait of butterbly wings, as I recall them. They are rather shy and enjoy to stick to their group. From the previous olden tales, they are even slower than the bat Pony, and have different utilization of their flight magic as well. If anyone on the group ever saw the relevant episodes from the mythical era? These myths also told of the Sea Pony. Or was that the Merpony?

5189789 Would Tentacle Pony and Goo/Latex Pony be permitted on this thread? Just figured I should ask.

From the purely Equine perspective, how do we view the Changeling, Zebra, Mule, Donkey and Buffalo? Aside from the Deligates from Saddle Arabia that may very likely not been seen or interacted with here?

Well Geboren
Group Admin

As I said before,post any and all ponies and pony hybrids on hear. As for interaction, I can not say for sure.:applejackunsure:

S.W.B.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5191992 Technically, a Mule is a hybrid of Pony and Donkey. Whuile I don't know if that is Canon in MLP or FiM. I guess the same could be said of the Centaur, such as the one we saw before.

If I haven't mentioned the Deer, I guess we could include these too. Oh, and there is the Goat and the Sheep, isn't there? Both has been mentioned in a scene or comic at one point or the other. There is the Minotaur also.

From the original context, I was under the impression that we are Ponies of one type or the other, but that doesn't mean that we will not deal with any other citizens of Equestria. Which would include Dragons too. Where ever the Dragons are going after the episode where Spike was summoned.

Sunglasses Indoors
Group Admin

Not that it really has any bearing on the conversation as a whole, I couldn't give a damn about politeness. As long as you show me the reasoning behind your opinions, you can say whatever you want, however you want to say it. :twilightsmile:

When you say " Just that it seems fairly easy to make a list of the available Pony types already," as well as "If anyone on the group ever saw the relevant episodes from the mythical era?", it makes me think you're referencing G1 MLP. I ain't at all familiar with G1. So, apologies for the oversight, I guess? It would be easier to make a comprehensive list and deliberate on it if we had some 'runners' funneling us ideas - which is what you've been doing, I suppose.

I like the idea of flutter ponies as being slow, shy, and incredibly social (with other flutter ponies). Maybe within the canon, they can also be migratory - a reference to real-life butterfly migrations, but also a byproduct of their collective shyness.

I just worry that, once we've got everything ironed out, we find we have seven flavors of the same thing. Ideally, every race within "The Gang"s canon will have defining features, strengths, and weaknesses. It's not just something a game dev would worry about (which, honestly, it feels like we're making a pony-based D&D homebrew), but it's great for storytelling too. It lets you make a grab-bag of characters with dynamics, instead of, say, a party of Paladins who all think the same. :pinkiehappy:

Another recap of all the suggested pony types.
Earth-pony
Crystal pony
Grimm pony
Latex pony?
Pegasus
Flutter pony
Bat pony
Vampony?
Unicorns
Wiccan pony*
Alicorns
Seaponies
Therstal ponies*
Hippogriff?

*Not discussed in thread, but in PM.

I've been organizing additional species based on the three main races depicted in G4, but with the addition of Alicorns and Seaponies, the number of "base" species has moved up to five. Also, I looked up a Hippogriff, to make sure I was thinking of the right thing. Kind-of dubious about whether it should be considered a pony hybrid or a griffin hybrid. The front legs end in talons, similar to the front legs of griffins. They wouldn't need to have the specialized pony foreleg anatomy described in the first post, which would put it at odds with pretty much everything else on the list.

Also, is Seapony anatomy going to be decided strictly by canonic sources? I was thinking something like this:

EDIT: The horns might be able to stay, but if you replaced the wings with water-wings, "PegaSeaponies" might become faster swimmers. As for diets, I was thinking they could eat kelp? We could probably get away with making the ocean's depths as vibrant and life-filled as the surface.

One more thing. Since seaponies are going to exist, what about other sentient sea-life? Dolphins, manatees, sharks, maybe a kraken or Cthulu. :pinkiecrazy:

Ponyess
Group Admin

When you say " Just that it seems fairly easy to make a list of the available Pony types already," as well as "If anyone on the group ever saw the relevant episodes from the mythical era?", it makes me think you're referencing G1 MLP. I ain't at all familiar with G1. So, apologies for the oversight, I guess? It would be easier to make a comprehensive list and deliberate on it if we had some 'runners' funneling us ideas - which is what you've been doing, I suppose.

A few things did happen before the FiM, and a few Pony types were seen on screen. Some of what transpired before is best expressed as Myths, while I guess you could see other things as an Alternate Reality, compared with what is going on in the FiM.

I like the idea of flutter ponies as being slow, shy, and incredibly social (with other flutter ponies). Maybe within the canon, they can also be migratory - a reference to real-life butterfly migrations, but also a byproduct of their collective shyness.

Using the Butterfly as refference for the Flutter Ponies in relation to their wings could explain details that were never explained on the show. This would help us with the Bat Pony in a similiar manner. Of course, both are avians and makes them fit with the Pegasus grouping.

I just worry that, once we've got everything ironed out, we find we have seven flavors of the same thing. Ideally, every race within "The Gang"s canon will have defining features, strengths, and weaknesses. It's not just something a game dev would worry about (which, honestly, it feels like we're making a pony-based D&D homebrew), but it's great for storytelling too. It lets you make a grab-bag of characters with dynamics, instead of, say, a party of Paladins who all think the same.

I may not know the D&D, but I think I got the idea of not having a group of identical Ponies with an identical standpoint of everything. I have seen that point put forth and explained on occasion, in a few different ways. Isn't this why we iron out the various types now, so that we can make them stand out on their own? Each type needs to be a valid alternative for you to choose from, even if you choose one of the old canon types?

Another recap of all the suggested pony types.

Not sure what the Grimm Pony is, but I may have missed or forgotten something.
The Crystal Pony was expressed as Earth type in the show, so it would be logical to place them there, even if one could see a Crystal Pony as any other form. As rare as these would be.
I guess we have a situation with the Latex Pony similiar to that of the Crystal Pony, aside from never seeing one on the show.
There was a Goo Pony mentioned, aside from the Mer Pony. These two sounds closer to the Water as an Element.
I do like the idea of having a second Pony Type on the element of Magic. Just need to have it explained and stand out beside the standard Unicorn.
The thestrals could either be an Earth Type, or an under category of the Bat Pony, I guess.
We could make the Changeling a sub category of the Alicorn, with the changing capability, and weaker powers, while also constantly requiring Love.
The Hipogriff could be a hyvrid of both, so I guess that is the easiest way of puting it. From the Pony perspective, they would sort under the avian Pegasus group.

I've been organizing additional species based on the three main races depicted in G4, but with the addition of Alicorns and Seaponies, the number of "base" species has moved up to five. Also, I looked up a Hippogriff, to make sure I was thinking of the right thing. Kind-of dubious about whether it should be considered a pony hybrid or a griffin hybrid. The front legs end in talons, similar to the front legs of griffins. They wouldn't need to have the specialized pony foreleg anatomy described in the first post, which would put it at odds with pretty much everything else on the list.

Using the more common variants as the base type seems a good idea. Each of these is representing an Element; Earth, Warer, Air, Magic, and the combined balance of all.
The Hipogriff having a Bird front of the Griffon and the back of a Pony would work. Isn't this the clasical interpretation in the first place?

Also, is Seapony anatomy going to be decided strictly by canonic sources? I was thinking something like this:

I think these would be the MerPonies, the old SeaPony resembles a Sea Horse. At least it is how I recall them.
From the game standpoint, both would be highly inpractical for us to play. Yet, that doesn't preclude them from being in the game, available to interact with. We could trade with them, and ask them for information at any time they are close by. Of course, if one lost member of the original was a Sea/Mer Pony, that could explain why we lost touch?

EDIT: The horns might be able to stay, but if you replaced the wings with water-wings, "PegaSeaponies" might become faster swimmers. As for diets, I was thinking they could eat kelp? We could probably get away with making the ocean's depths as vibrant and life-filled as the surface.

This could make it more interesting.

One more thing. Since seaponies are going to exist, what about other sentient sea-life? Dolphins, manatees, sharks, maybe a kraken or Cthulu.

Dollphins and Sharks should certainly be there, and we mostly know what they are. Squids, Crabs and a few other outlandish creatures should be around. I think it could be considered Canon to include a few mythical beasts for the Sea side as well. We have them all over land and in the sky already.

Well Geboren
Group Admin

Go to (World building, the second book.) If you wish to talk about sheep goat's and dragon's.

S.W.B.

Ponyess
Group Admin

5196333 If the other sentient creatures, like mentioned are there, I guess I need to go and see that thread.

Kryssi
Group Admin

So after a lot of reading, it looks like this is the place to discuss pony-like species, so I’ll add my two cents.

Changelings are emotiovores and omnivores; they need to feed on emotions, as their bodies convert these emotions into raw magic (their bodies cannot create their own magic, unlike ponies). Drones and royalty alike can absorb as much emotions as they want, but how much can be converted into raw magic is limited by their magical capacity. To help explain this better: one could imagine that have two ‘containers‘ (I use this term very broadly): one storing emotions, and another storing magic. Drones and royalty alike can store as much emotions in the first container: there’s no limit. A changeling, by instinct, converts its stored emotions to raw magic, and stores this resulting magic in the second container. This capacity of the second container is limited; drones can store slightly less magic than unicorns (making them weaker), while royalty can store as much magic as alicorns.

Although love, especially love directed to them[1], is the most filling and potent emotion, any positive emotions can feed a changeling. Negative emotions taste… well, bad, and provide no magical value. The types of emotions (e.g. love vs happiness), the intensities of emotions (e.g. best day of one’s life vs mild contentment), even whether or not the emotion is directed at them (e.g. love intended for somepony else, or love intended for the changeling) determine how much raw magic can be gained from one unit of a particular emotion.

Oh, and since flying[2], shapeshifting, and performing spells all require magic, if a changeling is starving on emotions, they cannot do these three things.

About the omnivore part, they also need food like plants and meat for them to be full in a physical sense. This makes their dietary requirements quite complex to handle, especially when there’s hundreds or possibly thousands in a hive.

Drones are genderless and lack the weather control that comes with pegasi[3], and the ‘connection’ to the soil (edit: and super strength) that earth ponies have.

An interesting ability of changelings (inspired by Of the Hive) is that they can securely communicate with other changelings in its hive by sending messages using their minds. Their minds remain individual and separate though—this is only a method of communication, and not a ‘hivemind’.

But their main ability is obvious: it can shapeshift into anything. If it shapeshifts into inanimate objects, it has control over various aspects of its shapeshifted body, for example if a changeling disguises into clothes, it can control the hem, tighten the turtleneck, etc.. However, it prefers to shapeshift into ponies, as it’s the most similar to their own bodies (thus easier to shapeshift into) and easier to have emotions directed at them.

[1] Chrysalis gained a lot of magic during her intimate interactions with Shining Armor, as his love was still directed at her, even when she wasn’t the real Cadance.
[2] Since there are non-magical species like dragons (who are not magical at all, and whose scales are resistant to magic) who can fly, I’m not sure whether to include flying in that list.
[3] Is weather control an inherent magical ability of pegasi, is it a talent (i.e. cutie marks), or is it just a skill?

5193090 5192834

The thestrals could either be an Earth Type, or an under category of the Bat Pony, I guess.

Pegasus
Flutter pony
Bat pony
Vampony?

I’m thinking of thestrals simply being another name for vamponies, with the red eyes, drinking blood, and the whole shebang. If anyone’s familiar with the series A Path of Kindness and Blood, my interpretation of thestrals would be similar to the purebloods in that fic.

Vamponies/thestrals would be superior to bat ponies in magical prowess, and act as the bat ponies’ adversary. Perhaps they’ve historically been in wars and battles.

While both are nocturnal, vamponies/thestrals would have numerous weaknesses, including garlic, sunlight, silver, etc., while bat ponies don’t have these.
While both have wings, bat ponies are more durable fliers than vamponies/thestrals, while vamponies/thestrals can flash their red eyes to perform magic spells—like horns but through the eyes :rainbowderp:.

We could make the Changeling a sub category of the Alicorn, with the changing capability, and weaker powers, while also constantly requiring Love.

But from I understand, due to their shapeshifting abilities, and most of them being drones, I reckon it distinguishes them from alicorns somewhat. Or would changeling royalty and drones be treated as separate species, due to the former having the magical capacity of alicorns and the latter having slightly less magical capacity than unicorns?

To conclude, although I’ve read through some of the threads, since I’m quite late to this, I’m not sure what’s already been agreed upon and what hasn’t.
And also, sorry about the length; I got a bit excited while writing all this changeling stuff. Désolé? :twilightsheepish:

Ponyess
Group Admin

5198030 All that, for just the Two cents? That is one mean Super-Sale you got.
So the value of the emotions are proportionally evaluated based on Experience and direction. Still think Changelings should be cautious to be close to overly Emotional and dramatical Ponies, particularly in large crowds.

So Bat and Thestral Ponies are looking the same, while they have very different inner qualities to them? Should prove very intersting, indeed.
Looking at the Lunar and Flutter Bat Ponies. Considering if the Thestrals are closer to the Ware-Wolf in Pony form than most common types of Ponies.

I base my categories on the magical Element connected to the type of Ponies.
Earth, Water, Air, Magic and then the Fith combining the entire set.
Just because the Changelings can't controle weather in the manner of a Pegasus doesn't take the element of Air out of the set. Same goes with Earth and Magic. If there are problems in incorporating the water type Ponies, it would be due to them never being mentioned in the show on Gen4, while there are Sea Ponies before this Point.

Since the Changelings are Insects in appearence, we could probaby be safe in assuming they have similarities with the social insects such as Ants and Bees. Only the Queen and her Princes ever do mature into a life with Gender. The majority are Workers of various types/orders.

Ps: Certainly enjoy seeing you on the bord and putting forth your contribution.

Kryssi
Group Admin

All that, for just the Two cents? That is one mean Super-Sale you got.

Surprisingly, I spent a two hours on-and-off writing (and pruning) the changeling section. :pinkiegasp: It’s by far the longest comment I’ve made on FIMFiction as of yet.

Still think Changelings should be cautious to be close to overly Emotional and dramatical Ponies, particularly in large crowds.

Hmm… it would depend on the situation. If the emotional pony was releasing a lot of positive emotions, then there would be no reason for a changeling to be cautious about being near him/her. However, if the pony was releasing a lot of negative emotions, then yes, a changeling wouldn’t want to be near him/her due to how bad it would taste. Or if a changeling was caught in the middle of a revolt…

So Bat and Thestral Ponies are looking the same, while they have very different inner qualities to them? Should prove very intersting, indeed.

When I was writing the comment, yep, apart from the red eyes (thestrals/vamponies).
But now that I think about it, their outer appearances can be made different with:
→ dark leather wings (bat ponies) vs coat-coloured wings (thestrals/vamponies)

I’m undecided on these:
→ dark-coloured coats (bat ponies) vs colourful coats (thestrals/vamponies), but
→ thestrals/vamponies having colourful coats wouldn’t make much sense unless they (thestrals/vamponies) can disguise themselves as regular pegasi, i.e. feathered wings and not-red eyes.

While both have wings, bat ponies are more durable fliers than vamponies/thestrals, while vamponies/thestrals can flash their red eyes to perform magic spells—like horns but through the eyes :rainbowderp:.

I’d also like to add to my original comment that bat ponies would not only be more durable fliers, but also be better[4] fliers overall, and maybe have some aerial tricks that they can use (this could tie in well to weapons).
[4] As in possibly faster, better at dodging and sharp turns, and more flexible fliers in general.

Just because the Changelings can't controle weather in the manner of a Pegasus doesn't take the element of Air out of the set.

To be honest, I’m not quite sure how to classify changelings within the five-class system. Sure, they have wings, but they also have magic (akin to unicorn magic), and most importantly of all, what makes them unique (and is their main ability) is their shapeshifting. Would shapeshifting be considered a type of changeling magic, and thus put changelings in the Magic category?

Ps: Certainly enjoy seeing you on the bord and putting forth your contribution.

Thanks Ponyess! :twilightblush: It definitely won’t be the only contribution I’ll make though.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 130