Silver Spanner Fans 70 members · 10 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12
QueenMoriarty
Group Admin

No, I ain't using the group to shill [insert drama-inducing pony name here]. I'm talking about our main mare, Silver Spanner.

We've already gone over what the show and card games gave us as background info. Now let's hear some headcanons. Get some real chatter going!

I'll go first: What with Silver having a cutie mark in fixin' stuff in a world where almost everything you could call technology is either magic-powered or rural, I'd like to think she occasionally gets a little frustrated with how little Equestria actually seems to need her.

Agree? Disagree? Want to espouse your own philosophy about our silver-haired mare? Then fire away!

Well, some technology does exist:

I'm guessing Silver Spanner has a more practical mind than Cherry Berry. Like, Cherry Berry imagines something, Silver builds it. Or complains how expensive it'll be.

QueenMoriarty
Group Admin

5124829 Yes, but technology of that level is also very rare. How boring would it be, when she wants to work with new and exciting technology but the closest thing is a few repeat customers whose gadgets she would know inside and out after a few years?

she's not a character I've really thought about, so her depiction in Onto the Pony Planet makes up the sum total of my headcanon

QueenMoriarty
Group Admin

5125249 Cool, cool. Sweet icon, btw.

thanks
I'm extremely happy with how that attempt with photoshop (gimp, actually) came out

What with Silver having a cutie mark in fixin' stuff in a world where almost everything you could call technology is either magic-powered or rural, I'd like to think she occasionally gets a little frustrated with how little Equestria actually seems to need her.

It's a bit hard getting a handle on Equestria's technology because there doesn't seem to be any real consistency from the canon. Most of the time, we see ponies living in a magic, almost medieval kind of world. They do things by candle light, still use carriages, and even major equipment (like the kinds the Apples use) is pony-powered. But then we get these weird anomalies. Like gramophones, and helicopters, and brain scanners. That kind of inconsistency leaves the burden of creating consistency solely in the hands of the fanfic writers. We're the ones having to describe the world in a direct way, so we should be able to cobble together a kind of logic as to what technology is really like for our individual stories. But that's on a very case-by-case basis. Not everyone's will be the same.

My take on Silver Spanner and her occupation is that she would:

A) be in a major city like Manehattan where she might encounter more of the latest technology due to metropolitan areas often necessitating large systems and technological innovation to remain functioning smoothly.

B) be working closely with Twilight Sparkle on the occasional experiment. Twi apparently knows her way around machinery and electronics (via Feeling Pinkie Keen and the beginning of the second EqG movie where she builds that portal.)

C) Be the innovator that's trying to push her inventions onto other ponies. Maybe she's just a horrible idea pitcher, so her inventions get shot down before she even really gets a chance to show them off? Or maybe she's not as good an inventor as she thinks, even if she loves machines?

QueenMoriarty
Group Admin

5125361 There's also DJ-Pon3. Background shipping FTW!

I can't see Vinyl Scratch with anyone but Octavia... :rainbowderp:

QueenMoriarty
Group Admin

5125418 Eh, true, but she's still the only other pony in Ponyville with (presumably) electric tech.

5125451 what about Twilight? The machinery in the screenshots look electric to me...

QueenMoriarty
Group Admin

5125457 When I said the only other pony, I was referring to Twilight. Spanner doesn't own even a single battery, she just fixes the stuff.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12