Comments ( 31 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 31

Such as gold, platinum, palladium, and silver. How should I invest in them?

Well you can get like an account where they hold the gold for you, or buy gold futures. Or if you really want to have the gold yourself you can buy it from like JMbullion or something,

5704260 If I'm going to be investing in a precious metal, I'd rather be able to put it in a bank safebox than trust someone I don't even know, who may not have any gold whatsoever and just be scamming me out of my money.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

5704229 If you're expecting the end times to be around the corner then metals are a good investment strategy. However, if you expect the world to still be fairly stable 10 years from now, I'd recommend against investing in resources.

The thing with physical matter is that it doesn't gain value over time (like companies do). They only gain value if they become scarce.

As far as I know, silver is being consumed faster than it's being dug out of the ground. It's also used in photocells, I think. With alternative energy sources being in decline, that might actually lower the price of Silver.

Well if you see a bank you seriously think is doing this then here's a better investment for you

-buy gold from that bank
-expose the fact that they don't actually have any gold
-sue them and get a cool million in penalty charges

Well it also protects against inflation, as the price will go up with that, though I guess you could also just get an I series bond. The price of gold is also affected by how much use it gets in industry (the price went up in the 2000's partially because it's used in smartphones and those took off in that decade) and it goes up when there's political/economic uncertainty (like after 2008 or the late 70's). Adjusted for inflation gold was actually the most expensive back in the 80's

Here it is in nominal value if anyone cares

Also renewables are hardly in decline. Trump might be super hard on them in the near future, but they are very close to the point where they can live without government help. If Trump kills them off it will be at the very last minute.

5704266 The price of silver is already far lower than the price of every other precious metal.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

5704290 Yes, you made good points. Resources are definitely better than hiding your money in the mattress. They do defy inflation.

As for the usage in industry, gold has very little usage. They dig it out of the ground faster than the industry consumes it. Its price is so high mainly because people think it's valuable. With $ getting stronger due to FED rate cuts in the future (3 are predicted for next year alone), the price of gold will probably be in decline for some time.

And whatever you do, don't invest in diamonds. With some equipment, anyone can grow diamonds at home. They don't even need to be dug out of the ground anymore.

I wasn't really advocating buying gold, TBH, just pointing out what value it does have. The only time you should invest in it is if things are going downhill fast (or you're very convifdent they will) or if some new technology that uses lots of gold starts taking off.

But yeah, diamonds are probably the worst investment. Most places actually charge you three times what they're actually worth so you lose most of your money.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

5704297 Silver is useful for various things, so it might be an exception. There is a chance of it gaining value over time due to scarcity factor.

If you really must invest in materials, I'd recommend buying stocks of companies that are extracting the stuff from the ground. They seek profit and growth. If the metal they fiddle with grows, the value of the company will grow just as much. Besides the growing price of materials they sit on, you also gain profit from the stuff they sell (with profit).

5704311 This bull is one of the longest in known history. If the bull dies in the following years, the metals could offer some safe heaven. It's hard to predict recessions, though. They usually occur when they're the last thing on people's mind.

5704311 True, diamonds really are trash, you could buy a nice ring with real extremely expensive diamonds on it, but at the end of the day if you were to sell the same ring it'd only be worth its weight in whatever metal it was made from. Even if you were to sell the diamonds on their own, the price of diamonds fluctuates depending on what people think looks nice in jewelry. If some odd years from now people think diamonds are the worst looking jewel and no one buys diamond jewelry, diamonds will be worth nothing. Unless of course there comes some good use for diamonds in technology.

5704328 I was thinking about investing in cesium due to its usefulness, as its uses are mostly for explosives I decided not to invest in it though. It would be rather suspicious if I did such a thing.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

5704365 Why are you so hung up on investing in metals? If there was a rap battle between metals and stocks, who do you think would win?

5704672 Stocks in a heartbeat.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

5704858 What drives you to assets then?

5704928 Luck is what draws me to gold and silver. When I say luck I refer mostly to these metals being considered lucky when in the form of coins or ingots.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

5705344 Is gold a status symbol for you, or do you believe that it miraculously affects other aspects of your life via luck magic?

5705731 Status, gold has always been associated with wealth.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

5706150 You want to be buried with gold rods in your casket, don't you? You do know that you can't take any wealth with you from this life, right? Egyptians were wrong when they thought you could.

5706224 I know nothing about what comes after death.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

5706244 So, you're planning for a chance to take your gold bars to the afterlife?

Death is the biggest risk in investing. It's a sure way to lose everything you earned in your entire life, and there's no safe heaven to secure your fortune. The number one rule in accumulating wealth should be: Don't die.

5706315 You misunderstood me. I don't know if there even is an afterlife, so I wouldn't plan based on that.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

5706341 You're only adding to my point. Dying rich should not be your goal. Being rich yes, dying no.

5706845 That's what I'm saying, I'm agreeing with you.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

5704229 We're on different sides when it comes to gold. However, at this time, we may be in agreement. Gold might actually hold some potential in short to mid term.

Source: https://www.seeitmarket.com/is-gold-bottoming-the-case-for-another-leg-higher-16408/

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

Gold is expected to fall from 1.200$ to 1.100$ in 2017.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

5704229 If you're thinking of buying metals, silver might be a good investment now.

Source: https://www.seeitmarket.com/gold-to-silver-ratio-critical-juncture-historically-investing-16544/

5793805 I've decided not to invest in anything until I have enough money to do so.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

5794338 It's ironic, isn't it? You can invest to get more money, yet you can't invest until you have the money first. It's the main reason why the gap between rich and poor is widening. The rich invest and get even more money with time. Soon, they will own the whole world.

Ebony Gryphon
Group Admin

Gentleman... might I interest you in the Blessed Exchequer and the Divine Treasury?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 31