Cutie Mark(ed) Crusaders 500 members · 2,629 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
PrinceUniversa
Group Admin

We know what the CMC's cutie marks are, but something about them just majorly caught me attention. They are shields with marks that represent them. Why I bring this up? Well, in Past Sins, Nyx's cutie mark is a blue shield with the moon insignia embroidered on the shield, call me crazy, but is that a whee bit too much of a coincidence to make the CMC's cutie marks and Nyx's shields?

It's a European shield design, commonly associated with the crusades. I might question why three ponies would have the design in a world where we haven't seen many shields and the crusades never occured, but it's pretty easy to call a coincidence.

It's a European shield design, commonly associated with the crusades.

It's called a coat of arms, an aspect of heraldry, and it actually has more to do with knights and chivalry in general.

Note that the CMC have identified their group with a shield logo since they founded it. It's simply something they associate with being a Cutie Mark Crusader, presumably because they had a vague understanding of heraldry and how knightly orders work.

Interestingly, these cutie marks actually seem to follow the traditional rules of heraldry, at least to a basic degree. Specifically, the actual shield part is called the escutcheon. The three colored lines is a type of ordinary (that is, pattern) called a pale. The symbols in the center are called charges.

I might question why three ponies would have the design in a world where we haven't seen many shields and the crusades never occured,

...If they've never had any crusades, how the heck could they possibly know the word crusader? :rainbowhuh:

Obviously somepony went crusading at some point.

The word existed before the war.

I'm aware somewhat of what a coat of arms is, but that's how it's associated with Crusaders, through the crusades in which the knights took part. Probably a strained connection in reality of course.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4