Undertale 1,141 members · 160 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

Is it bad that I only just watched the Starbot dub of 'The Thought' comic? I've never seen the comic before, in fact I'd never heard of it before I saw it in my YT feed. An hour and twenty mins is a long time to sit and watch a set of still images with colour-coded text pop-ups.

So what did I think? Holy Moly that was good. I won't go through the whole thing cuz that would be ridiculous. I'll keep it brief.

The Thought, for those who are unaware, is a comic revolving around the idea that Sans kills Frisk as soon as they leave the ruins in a post Genocide timeline. It toys with meta ideas and deep Thought (holy shit who knew), having a simple thought as the final line of dialogue. And it is that same thought that serves as the basis for the whole plotline. As well as all alternate universes in general.

In The Thought it is canon that the entire UT universe exists as a program on someone's computer. And by Sans killing the human early Sans breaks the loop that UT's story usually goes through. He takes Frisks soul straight to Asgore, who is aprehensive in using them to break the barrier as he is in two minds over the whole killing kids thing. Sans isn't pleased with this. In his mind, he just went through an un-specified number of timelines and killed a child in cold blood for a reason.

So he takes the souls himself and breaks the barrier. He can communicate with all seven humans plus Chara who was latched onto Frisk's soul. The Thought gets slowly darker from that point onwards, and peaks at the fight with Gaster. Gaster comes to Sans and the souls after an attempt to extract the souls from Sans's body by Alphys. Gaster explains that their world is 'a bubble within a bubble' and even if they were to achieve a so called 'happy ending' there is nothing stopping whatever being controlling their world from simply terminating the program. As that's all it is, a program, a copy of an original world. Gaster is refering to a literal copy of Undertale on someone's computer. Because while Sans continues to break the standard loop, the copy of UT is unresponisive on a computer. This is why it is in danger of termination, or deletion as if the game had to be re-installed.

Sans persists, having come too far to simply give up. But he tires and the human souls are forced to kick in. Chara takes control of Sans's body and fights Gaster, explaining that regardless of the dangers they want to go on for their own reasons. Chara's reason being power and everyone else's being hopes of a brighter future and the possibility of freedom. Chara gets increasingly murderous during this section and the other souls have to step in to stop Chara from outright killing Gaster. Gaster flees in the end, recognising he had made his point.

Then the souls and Sans debate whether it is worth continuing at the massive risk of losing everything, or resetting to maintain their memories, but going back to the loop with no certain way of ever getting out. Sans opts to go back to the loop and the six souls are split in a two way tie. After a brief discussion regarding Chara's input, in which Chara expresses that they don't believe they should counts since they don't have their own soul, and they're just a 'copy of a memory of a dead child named Chara', Frisk says that Chara was the start of the story and it was all about them. Chara decides they want to run the risk of continuing. This means it's up to Frisk.

After some thought Frisk decides to reset, after all they have the ability to choose how the story ends, even if it does reset in the end. What follows is that Chara stabs the heart locket they're wearing and the heart shatter plays like the one when the player dies in the real game. A sequence of memories replays until it settles at the death of Sans in the previous timeline. A line of Frisk's thought plays over Sans's dying words.

"If someone was able to make and control this copy... Couldn't we make our own?"

With that it ends. Onto my thoughts...

I love it.

Chara is best Pony Human.

"How petty will this being be... that I interupted their 'game?"

5635698 Hmmm, I haven't actually watched the "movie", as I saw the individual episodes where you pick the ending. Still pretty awesome, though.

Actually, that isn't the official end, really. There's actually a SECOND ending.

In it, Frisk decides to risk it (RHYMES!) and decides to continue and not go back into the loop (resetting). Thanks to this, Sans makes a copy of their world (like "UNDERTALE (1)", a copy of the game (their world)), where they can figure out a way without the user (the one behind everything- AND I MEAN EVERYTHING) knowing of their existence, meanwhile, the world that they copied their world from, the "original", is back to normal, mostly, and the user is able to play it again.

UltimaAlmighty did a reaction to it, along with the ending where Frisk decides to go with resetting.

I watched that around when starbot dubs first uploaded it and I dieddddd

A displace version of this sans would be awesome.

Yeah I just watched it after 5635739 's comment. What a cruddy cliffhanger. Sans is just like, 'yo i'll just copy it n stuff' and everyone else agrees. Then it just ends.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8