Them's Fightin' Herds 338 members · 45 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
hawthornbunny
Group Admin

The recording of Mane6's Shanty preview stream is here, but if y'all don't wanna sift through it, here's a few points sifted from my memories of what happened:

* Shanty is going to be a paid DLC-only character, although anyone who backed the game automatically gets her. This decision actually surprised me a bit since I'm an old-timer who isn't really used to DLC - to be honest, I think it makes more sense for her to be free, since one of the main criticisms of TFH is its small character roster. But everyone in the chat seemed happy to pay for her so I guess that's just how these newfangled games work.

* There are no plans to integrate Shanty's story into Story Mode - instead, her story will be a standalone bonus chapter.

* Shanty's backstory is that she is a young orphan goat who really, really wants to be a pirate - but the pirates won't recruit her unless she proves her worth by stealing something very valuable. Unfortunately for Foenum, Shanty has her heart set on the Prophet's Key. Her entry into the tournament is just a ruse to get the Key so she can steal it.

* Shanty's people are the Goatani, a group of island-dwelling goats.

* They haven't decided on a voice for Shanty yet, but are floating the idea that she might have a Carribean accent.

* Shanty's fighting stage is a pirate ship. They were keen to note that Shanty does not actually own the ship - she is a vagrant and doesn't really own anything.

* Shanty's stage music has already been completed and you can hear it at the start of the video. They're still working on her character theme.

* Shanty is a small, nimble character, noticeably shorter and more compact than anyone else in the game - although her hitbox is still the same as everyone else's.

* Shanty's fighting style is all based around quick movement to keep the opponent off balance. Her magic ties into this by allowing her to go into stances that permit rapid dashing. This also means that if she uses too many of her speed tricks at once, she'll exhaust her magic, so part of playing her is about managing that resource.

* Shanty can recover her magic by standing still and making an energizing shout. Doing so leaves her briefly vulnerable, so the player has to choose their moments carefully.

* Shanty can cling to walls (actually, to the sides of the screen) and freely climb and leap from them at her leisure.

Thanks immensely for the info. And to be fair, the Prophet's Key probably IS one of the most valuable artifacts (if not THE most valuable artifact) in Foenum. It's too bad that, if she succeeded in stealing it, she would be putting all of Foenum in even greater danger than it is already in.

On the other hoof, it is just further proof that the main six fighters would have a MUCH better chance of success by working together.

I vaguely remember a guy teaching goats how to parkour

Dang, that shifts everything I was thinking about doing for her. Okay, new plan for her chapters.

Totally! (although if given the chance, I bet at least half of the cast would work together)

Man, I was so hyped for her voice acting and lines, but those aren't done yet. Still awesome to see her, and hear some lore in the stream, though.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6