Them's Fightin' Herds 338 members · 46 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
hawthornbunny
Group Admin

Okay, so here's what's been revealed; the inhabitants of Foenum have a legend of a great and wise elder who lived thousands of years ago, known only as "the Prophet". She discovered the means by which to banish the predators from Foenum. Her species is never given, but there is a poetic description:

great elder, long of leg, long of horn, and long of beard

And I think it's not too difficult to figure out what that means.

Ahahaha couldn't resist. XD The Prophet does give off a very Star Swirl vibe though, right down to the banishing-evil-creatures-to-another-dimension thing. Her beardedness is emphasized too; odd for a female character, but not necessarily odd for an ungulate. So what is she? This is my actual guess:

This is a giant eland, basically a big ol' antelope. At this point, however, there's not enough information to say what she could be.

So the Prophet lived was a desert creature, who lived in

the time of pharaohs and pyramids, and most importantly, magic.

which is awesome, and also a little confusing since we know that magic exists in present-day Foenum. The unicorns study it, the deer of Rein make their cities with it, and if we go purely on gameplay mechanics, every Key Seeker has a so-called "magic" attack. But pharaohs! Pyramids! That's cool. ^^

So the Prophet discovered a portal which basically leads to a limbo-like void full of other portals to other worlds and... wait a minute. Pharaohs, pyramids, portals to other worlds... this is sounding familiar again...

Okay okay I'll stop. XD Anyway, this is an absolute gift for fanfic writers, because I have a suspicion that one of those portals might just lead to Equestria. ^_^

So anyway, the Prophet found this empty realm which she called "The Hold", and decided that this would be a great place to stick all the predators. Seems legit. This is, of course, all a legend, so we can't actually take it as being 100% true. She managed to convince the other nations of Foenum to go along with her plan, and here it all gets a bit Lord of the Rings; the herbivores fought a long, bloody war to drive the predators into the portal, through the limbo dimension, and into The Hold.

Presumably it looked like this, but with more legs.

I love the idea of an epic Foenum war, but personally that story feels a little too simplistic to me. How exactly do you drive all the predators in the world into one portal, and how do you ensure they end up in The Hold? Again, it's just a legend, so maybe it's a glamorized tale.

The prophet then made the Enchanted Key out of one of her horns, locked the portal to The Hold, and locked the portal from Foenum's side as well. This double-locking is important, as is the structure of the limbo realm. Now, thousands of years later, the predators are manifesting in Foenum again, but only as spirits. It seems that they've broken the lock on The Hold, and are now on the other side of Foenum's portal, trying to break that too. It's only a matter of time before they succeed.

Oh, and they've got a big bad guy called The Devourer who is probably the most evilest and toughest predator, like ever. Basically predator Sauron.

So it seems like they still have the Prophet's Key, and they know they can use it to strengthen the locks and put the predators back in The Hold again,but the nations of Foenum can't agree on who to give it to. This makes some sense in a way. Only one of them can use the key in the end, and whoever does use it is going to have to open up the portal. If that goes wrong, Foenum is screwed. So it's got to be someone who can deal with the nasties inside the portal, and that means it needs to be a champion strong enough to face The Devourer. So the plan is: every country picks a Key Keeper, then they all beat each other up to get the key off each other, in the world's biggest and most violent game of tag.

That does actually kind of make sense if you consider that this is essentially the mechanics of the deer rut. During mating season, male deer clash to try to take control of the herd (because whoever controls the herd gets all the best mating). Although it may seem like a stupid waste of time to us, it might be a perfectly natural way of resolving this problem for the hoofed mammals of Foenum.

One thing that's not clear is how they decide when the contest is over. It seems like all the nations of Foenum have agreed to these rules, so I guess that maybe they also all agreed on a time limit or something.

And that's about it for now! Pretty exciting. I find this idea of passing the Key around a bit weird, because it seems pretty dangerous to entrust the most valuable item in the world to someone who spends most of their time getting their head kicked in. It also makes me wonder how Pom keeps getting dragged into this, as surely she only has to lose the key once and then just run away. And what if five Key Seekers want to battle the Key Keeper at the same time? Do they queue up? I'm likely reading too much into it here, as we already know that the gameplay isn't quite going to match up with the story (if only because there will be hundreds of copies of each fighter running around...)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3