Foalmance 1,225 members · 375 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

Hey guys, I'm currently writing a longer multi chapter story where a young version of Vinyl is trying to survive on the streets. She's taken in by a male human and given shelter in exchange for...well...

But here's my question.

I currently don't have a name for the human. I kind of like the idea of leaving it as Anon, kind of like a HiE type thing. But I don't like using the name 'Anon' in the context of my story. What are your opinions on how to do this? Just conveniently never write his name, referring to him just in pronouns? Or should he have a made up name that is used in context of the sexual encounters, like Master or Sir?

It kind of depends on the specific role the human plays. Anon is generally used as a kind of placeholder character, wherein Anon's personality is somewhat simplified and tends takes a backseat to the other main character/s and the action in the story. His purpose is to be a sort of in-story surrogate for the reader. In my opinion, if you're leaning towards a more serious plot, than Anon is probably not the best choice.

Names for Human characters in a HiE can be tricky. Simple, common names like Mike or Jeffery or what have you tend to seem a bit bland, but can be useful if you're using the name to drive home a theme of dichotomy between the human character and his surroundings. It doesn't quite sound to me as if this is the theme you're going for, however. Alternatively, you could give them a more unique name, like a reference to mythology or something, but that tends to come off as pretentious, like Lero in Xenophilia.

Playing the pronoun game could work, as long as it fits the style of your writing. Personally, I like the idea of Master or Sir - this guy kind of seems like a dick head, and I could imagine that kind of person in Equestria demanding to be called master.

> I could imagine that kind of person in Equestria demanding to be called master.

Or even just convincing everypony that is his actual name.

I pretty much agree everything said by 5754691 . Anon is really only good if you WANT the human character to be a reader stand-in. If you don't have a thematic reason for any particular name, any 'normal' name is just fine.

like a reference to mythology or something, but that tends to come off as pretentious, like Lero in Xenophilia.

The gauntlet has been thrown down. We must duel to the death now.:rainbowwild:

Go for a totally pretentious in joke that only 1 in 100 people will actually get, then shower them with praise when they reveal it in the comments. :rainbowlaugh: Give him some kind of wordplay name on an obscure DJ, or musical term.

I'll tell you what man, you can have your duel when I can write a clop half as good as Xenophilia, only my main character will have a bomb ass name. :scootangel:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5