Hazardous Writing Materials and Challenges 236 members · 336 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Z Edgelord
Group Admin

This is a re-post from the original thread, just to make sure no one in the group misses it, and for the sake of having a whole damn thread just for myself.

After the break, the results.

For the original post : turn left at the Edge.

Hm. Now that this little "incident" has been dealt with, I am entrusted with the power to declare our judging results. Debates were heated, and we needed quite a lot of time to come to an agreement. Let me reveal our decision.

In 3rd place EX AEQUO :

The Great Equestrian Ball Scramble, by Thought Prism

Devil With The Silver Tongue, by Jigsaw

To be perfectly honest, The Great Equestrian Ball Scramble appeared to us as if an abomination had monstruous intercourse with Shelob. But as it turned out, appearance can be deceiving. Much to our surprise, we came across a fun, well-rythmed and quite original crossover that entertained us greatly, and that got all three of us curious with what would happen next, just for the sake of laughing at the ridiculous setting and situations that would be caused by it. The reason we didn't put it higher comes from a certain stiffness in the story-telling, as well as some rushed transitions and quite an expeditive start.

The Devil With The Silver Tongue catched our gaze for its interesting and well told story and setting, about a Conman (or Conpony, I guess ?). Through efficient and punchy writing, intriguing characterization, and interesting tone, it gained points with all three of us. As to why it's not higher on the podium lies within its general structure and the fact that, despite sympathetic, the main character didn't manage to really have us ask ourselves what would happen next. Definitely a great read, however.

In 2nd place :

Youth Group, by The Hat Man

This is where the debate becomes interesting. We had a long-winded talk about what story would take 2nd and 1st place. For the longest time, we could not agree on it. This story features everything you want in a good piece of reading : Pacing, Characterization, a Premice that had us hyped and pumped to find out more. And it's precisely THIS point that had us debating so hard I lost and eye and Haph lost... more important bits. Whilst we all agreed on the undeniable quality of this story, we had a hard time agreeing on the main trope it was using. AKA "parents are gone, what will the childs do now ?". We've all seen it somewhere, we've all read something about it. Whilst it is extremely well used in this one, and has us asking for more at the end of it, both Verbose and I felt that, by this simple choice, the story had lost most its attractivness. Less with Verbose, but very strongly in me. I honestly said to myself : "Not again, please" as I discovered the story. Whilst I was very pleasantly surprised and entertained, the fact that it spawned such a reaction outta me only reinforced my choice of not having it score first. Haph, on the other hand, had this one run for winner.

In his eyes, the story takes a worn out trope and turns it into an extremely enjoyable read, with great characters, and left his curiosity for the follow-up to the story unsatiated. I'm sure he will explain more later on in a blog post he'll do or something. Because he does that. We probably all will, to be honest, so keep yer eyes peeled for it.

And finally...

In 1st place :

O Blessed Night, by Daffadah (Password : unfinished)

Now this was an amazing read for both Verbose and I. Instantly, the first few lines had us ask ourselves questions about the what and the how of this world, as the well written lines unfolded in front of our eyes, and the interesting characters played out this macabre tragedy. The premices are surprising, well played on, and attract the eye. You will quickly find yourself rooting for these ponies we love as they face horrors and challenges on a daily (or rather, nightly) basis. I certainly didn't lose my time reading this, and it had me panting for MOAR ! MOAR AND MOAR ! at the end. Which is exactly what the contest asked you authors to do ! Isn't the world marvelous ? Such a great coincidence ! BWAHAHAHAHAA ----

Hum. As I was saying, there was quite a bit of debate about this one, as the tone and VERY HARSH transitions between characters displeased Haph greatly. Whilst we all heard his argument, he could not hold his own against the onslaught brought by me and Verbose upon him, and finally agreed to this choice, as we used the extremely sophisticated and terribly dangerous rule of "this story has two votes and the other has one". A marvellous wonder of mathematics, logic and science, really.

As such, this story wins the "An Elevator Pitch" contest, by The HazMat group. His author is encouraged to contact Haph as quickly as possible.

I would like to thank all our 11 participants. Your stories were amazing to read, and it was a pure pleasure dealing with them and firing up jolly debates and heated arguments. I hope we will see you all, and more, for the next one.

Edgy, out.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1