• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30
WisdomWish
Group Admin

This has nothing to do with the group, but;

When I hear people start talking about Flashlight:

Hater:
He's stealing my waifu!

Me:

4569933 Don't you think that's kind of an overreaction?

I'm not hating or anything, I just mean, give me one reason, one good reason why Flashlight is a bad ship, I'll wait.

4569933 4570073

I think the main issue with Flash Sentry X Twilight Sparkle is that you never get a chance to actually know anything about Flash Sentry. He seems to just be shoehorned in as a love interest for Twilight Sparkle. Basically, because the show tells nothing about the character, it seems detached and unnecessary. Had the show gone into a bit more detail about him, especially his personality and possibly background to give a reason for him to be attracted to Twilight and vice versa, then he probably wouldn't be hated as much. To many people, it seems Flash Sentry is the generic-love-interest character, very shallow and boring, because they know almost nothing about him. But had the show explored things more and actually built up to his having a crush on Twilight and such rather than basically just throwing it in there for the 'high-school-romance' trope, then perhaps he'd be more believable, and thus less hated. Now, if someone does a Twilight Sparkle X Flash Sentry fic that actually builds up to the romance and makes it more believable, then it can be a good ship. The big issue is probably that in the show, there was no buildup and the romance was so rushed, it felt forced, thus it's considered a 'bad ship' because it seems to make no sense.

At least, that's my best guess.

I'm going to throw my two bits in here. In all honesty there really is nothing wrong with FlashLight. That said though, there is some major things wrong with Flash Sentry. To be more specific, human Flash Sentry.

Thinking over Equestria Girls, human Flash is an incredibly cliched character. High School hottie, plays guitar, has a band, ex-boyfriend of the antagonist mean girl, a typical High School drama and fairy tale story love at first sight, and completely accepting of the new girl and becomes her instant love interest. Not only was the character done horribly wrong, the love interest that developed was cliche and anything but real. His role in the movie even was simply the love interest and actually played no true role in the overall story, outside bailing Twilight from being framed by a horrendous framing attempt. They could have written him out of the movie and changed nothing of the overall story. Skip to Rainbow Rocks and his character only gets worse. Fortunately, he plays a much smaller role overall, love interest or not. All of this only hurts the version that's actually decent, pony Flash.

Now, Flash Sentry the pony, I don't have as much issue with as this version is unknown. The only problem is he has no character development and suffers from the early first sight love interest during Equestria Girls. This is not entirely terrible as being smitten is not a bad thing. What you have with this Flash could easily be built upon in a way that gives him a proper character development and properly builds on the relation they want to give him and Twilight. In all, he has the character development of a background pony so there is room to work and build a proper character.

My issue with the ship itself lies with Human Flash X Pony Twilight. This is a very inconvenient relation as they are not just from different cities or different lands, but different dimensions. You could probably argue inter-species relations if you really want to but I won't here. But this version of the ship is far too difficult to work out, perhaps impossible, as you have that dimensional barrier. Either one goes to the other world and stays or they can only see each other every so often, Twilight's machine from Rainbow Rocks notwithstanding. It provides to many barriers and too much compromise to make functional. And to have them go to the others world, no. Either Twilight, Princess of Friendship and bearer of the Element of Magic, leaves everything behind to be with Flash or you end up with two Flash Sentries in the pony world. It's more trouble than it's worth to make work, either from the standpoint of the characters or the writers.

So in all, Human Flash is a bland, cliche character and he should not ship with Pony Twilight, but Pony Flash actually has potential and a plausible chance with Twilight.

4569933 Flashlight is the OTP. Let the shit storm commence.

4570553 You already missed one in the Writer's Group. See my first comment.

The funniest thing is the fact that in my feed, right before this, was a FlashLight post :rainbowlaugh:

4569933 Umm may I ask what is flashlight?

WisdomWish
Group Admin

The shipping name of (Brad) Flash Sentry x Twilight Sparkle.

WisdomWish
Group Admin

You are absolutely correct.

WisdomWish
Group Admin

I dare you to go read my 2 chapters of From Ava to Twilight. It's not a good reason, and the story is not that good since I wrote it, but just read it.

Link: From Ava to Twilight

4580966 I accept your dare

WisdomWish
Group Admin

4580982 I did it...wasn't that bad

4580950 Oh! Thanks, I'm not really caught up with the names of ships:twilightsheepish:

WisdomWish
Group Admin

That's okay! You should've seen me when I discovered Appledash...... (AJ x Rainbow) I was a serious shipper.:ajsmug::heart::rainbowkiss:

WisdomWish
Group Admin

Really?? Huh...

WisdomWish
Group Admin

I just thought of something. Remember when he was just called Brad? Good times, good times....

4602962 yeah, how time flys

WisdomWish
Group Admin

Hopefully time does fly so the Friendship Games can come out! Then we can get more season 5 [hopefully]! Did you see that poster?

Poster... Spoilers!!

Do not read if you hate spoilers!! If you looked at the EQD post, CADANCE AND SHINING ARMOR MAY BE HAVING A BABY!!!!!!!!:raritystarry:

4584766 WHY? This is one of those ships I just don't get. It makes no logical sense to me (says the guy who loves RariDash, but meh, I have reasons :raritywink::heart::rainbowdetermined2:)

4571346 According to Wikipedia: A flashlight (more often called a torch outside North America) is a portable hand-held electric light. Usually, the source of the light is a small incandescent light bulb or light-emitting diode (LED). A typical flashlight consists of a light bulb mounted in a reflector, a transparent cover (sometimes combined with a lens) to protect the light source and reflector, a battery, and a switch. These are supported and protected by a case.

The invention of the dry cell and miniature incandescent electric light bulbs made the first battery-powered flashlights possible around 1899. Today flashlights use mostly incandescent lamps or light-emitting diodes and run on disposable or rechargeable batteries. Some are powered by the user turning a crank or shaking the lamp, and some have solar panels to recharge a battery.

In addition to the general-purpose hand-held flashlight, many forms have been adapted for special uses. Head or helmet-mounted flashlights designed for miners and campers leave the hands free. Some flashlights can be used underwater or in flammable atmospheres.

Sorry, I had to.

WisdomWish
Group Admin

4615342 Appledash or Flashlight? If you're saying Flashlight, please, go to a doctor. [Sarcasticness not intended.] But, if you're saying Appledash, it's just the first ship I ever discovered. I mean, I just love them because they are kind of alike, being athletic and all, and..... I just love the ship.
If you still don't understand [Which I bet you do], read this fanfic: Sleepless in St. Maretinique. This one came out not to long ago, and I love this fic. A lot.
And look at this picture!;

It's adorable, right?
And look;

Even Celestia ships them!:trollestia:

4615983 Actually, I think your reason for liking it is my reason for disliking it. Kinda like one mans trash is another mans treasure? Ah, who cares. To each his own, yeah?

WisdomWish
Group Admin

Yeah. Oh, and opposites attract, right? If you are familiar with Teen Titans, a long running comic book by DC with two TV shows, I ship two complete opposites [If you are familiar, I only like the original TV show. I despise the second.:trixieshiftleft:] . I also ship Rarity and Applejack I ship Twilight with almost every unicorn or alicorn ever, besides Cadance.

4618694 my reason for RariDash and Flutterdash and RariJack exactly.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30