N.E.R.D. 26 members · 54 stories
Comments ( 27 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 27
Kirito-Persona
Group Admin

Apologies for not putting this up yesterday, I was distracted:facehoof: Anywho, I'll be posting one of these per new episode to create some good discussion, similar to the writers group. But let's start off with Friendship Games!

Before we get to all the nitpicky stuff, I liked it quite a bit. It was honestly my favorite out of all the EG films, better then the first and more rewatchable then Rainbow Rocks. (Now to clarify, RR was the best film, but it's just a hard watch for me, so I can't really rewatch it easily without getting sad.)

But yeah, this film in my opinion did quite a lot right. The animation was top tier, the dialogue was great, characters were interesting, and tons of new potential unexplored lore with Crystal Prep! (I think it's time I started speculating and creating backstories...:pinkiecrazy:) And dat ending, OMG DAT ENDING! :rainbowkiss:

I can't really find a lot to complain about aside from The principal, she was evil! Like, how did this woman get hired?! Overall, solid film 9/10!

Now then, let's start the DISCUSSIONS!!!:pinkiehappy:

jidbrony
Group Admin

4740684 if go a little lower if give it 8/10 I felt the stakes were a bit lower but better executed than in the first film the songs were fun for sure but the villains lackluster at best even when their concept was interesting

But it was all worth it for the ending

Personally I liked Twlight's shadow form, which I can calling "Fallen Twilight" since she looked like a Fallen Angel. Also loved the whoel Sunset of Light vs Twilight of Darkness.

Though can we agree that the Shadowbolts themselves were fairly underdeveloped in the movie.

Kirito-Persona
Group Admin

Yes, yes it was :D
True, but that's our job as fanfic authors is it not? Take what's not there, not developed, then develop it fully?:rainbowkiss:

Hey I'm just saying is all. Could have been better I'd maybe give it a 6 or 7, no where near as good as Rainbow Rocks but atleast better than the first one.

Also I finished the chapter for a "Heart Encased in Stone" Hope you can look it over soon and leave some comments cause I hope to get it out soon.

jidbrony
Group Admin

4740697 the official name is "Midnight Sparkle" and it looked WAY better than the doll

4740715 not everyone writes or reads fan fiction though

Kirito-Persona
Group Admin

Eh, true but for the people who do read and write it, we have the power after all. With great power comes great responsibility, to make headcanons.

I know but "Fallen Twilight" still sounds cooler.

jidbrony
Group Admin

4740731 true but that's no excuse for what's on the screen

4740734 definitely

Actually Ironic, Evil Sunset was basically a devil while Evil Twilight is a Fallen Angel. Curious isn't it.

Kirito-Persona
Group Admin

Never said it wasn't. I still criticize the film, but I'm happy I have so much room to write and create now! It isn't so much ignoring the problem, as it is trying to figure out a way to do something with it.

jidbrony
Group Admin

4740742 curious but not without reason

Sunset was a bad person from the start the crown just took that internal darkness and made it external

Twilight on the other hand was a good person. She just got corrupted by a major infusion of magic.

So it makes sense thematically

Visual Symbolism is fun isn't it?

jidbrony
Group Admin

4740754 oh yes

Also I love the fact the cycle is now complete

First film Twilight vs Sunset

Third Sunset v Twilight

Indeed, maybe the Fourth one will have Human Sunset.

jidbrony
Group Admin

4740766 perhaps perhaps

4740750 ah. Ok then

4740684 I think if I had to make one critique about the movie, it was that the songs didn't really seem to match up with the scenes. There was just something off about the animation or something. I think Studio B needs to figure out better ways of making the human characters interact with the surrounding environment while they are singing more interesting. Like for example, you can't just have Twilight stand in a building and sing. You need to change up the animation, and make things abstract. And during the competition song, you can't even really tell which side is singing, which is a big problem, story-telling wise.

jidbrony
Group Admin

4740777 Really? I guess the songs were lack luster not as nearly as catchy as the RR songs. Still probably better than the first movie songs though

4740845 The songs were actually very catchy. I love the whole soundtrack to the movie. That wasn't the problem. The problem is that Studio B doesn't know how to animate humans well enough to make interesting animation scenes that meld with the music. So the characters seem too stiff when they are singing, or like they aren't singing at all. And you can see how this would be a problem in a musical based film. Hopefully this will improve by the fourth film.

jidbrony
Group Admin

4740856 yeah good point although to be fair to studio B the Animation of EQG had improved greatly since the first film

4740857 Oh yes, the animation is a lot better. They just need to get how to make scenes that involve characters singing more visually interesting.

I wrote a blog entry about my whole thoughts about the movie here: https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/543178/my-thoughts-on-equestria-girls-the-friendship-games

jidbrony
Group Admin

4740864 you gotta admit that ending ...wow. So many themes and things coming full circle

Sunlight for the win

4740888 I'm a bit confused about the Sunset thing. Is she a princess now? Or was that just a one time thing?

jidbrony
Group Admin

4740893 I think it's a one time thing

But I think she's a Phoenix personally I think that's sort if her thing.

4740896 Big mac is still best princess. :rainbowlaugh:

jidbrony
Group Admin

4740684 MY PM is broken.

jidbrony
Group Admin
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 27