Martianmen 51 members · 34 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

Death.

It is quite a painful subject. It has been a source of sorrow, pain and misery. There are many people who scared of it. Who can blame them? It hits all of us like if someone is squeezing our funny bone. It separates us from those we love: friends, family, pets, and everyone we care for. Every time I go to a funeral of an individual who perished unexpectedly, it is always somber to see faces full of tears. I have not lost anyone important yet, but I know that day is coming, and my time will come eventually.

A question that rings in all of our heads. Was death suppose to be a part of humanity. No. It is tempting for us to curse and blame God for what death does to us. I don't hold judgment against those who do so. It happens to the best of us. But God never wanted humanity to experience death. He is the Author of all good, and there's nothing good about death. If we are going to technically blame someone, it will be Adam and Eve. They committed high treason and have allowed evil to enter upon their lives, including death. And unfortunately, the evil nature that entered Adam and Eve has been passed down to the rest of humanity, including death. Satan, the enemy of all that is good and God Himself, held a deadly weapon against us: death. Death has been hurting humanity for a long time.

But God will not have it. Neither will His Son. When God tricked satan into killing Jesus, an innocent person, satan basically shot himself in the gut. Death aimed at an Individual that held no evil in Him. Therefore, death has lost its power. Jesus demonstrated His victory over death by resurrecting Himself. Sure, he is not the first to resurrect, but it is quite an achievement to rise from the dead and still be alive today. :ajsmug:

Now the question of the hour: what does this mean for us? Even though Jesus defeated death two thousand years ago, we still die. But here's the thing, we will not stay dead. Sometime in the future, only God knows when, we rise from the dead as well. And for those who believe in the Son, they will experience no more pain, no more sorrow, no more death. Only everlasting joy and love.

Death is scary, and it does bring pain both literally and figuratively, but what gives me hope is that death is temporary. Because of Jesus's efforts and His love for humanity, I will not be held captive in the grave, instead I will rise and spend an eternity with my Creator and everyone who I will see later.

Interesting topic I must say.

In my view and my religion view, Allah (God) is Author if Everything. He create both Evil and Good, Death and Life and etc. And for us Muslim, Death will depend to us. Some will accept Death as an old friend while other fear it because of our sins. Though Death is cruel, but it is just.

4415607 I will express my beliefs in death through a song.

4415607 I'm agnostic but I'm willing to believe in something more. Whatever the afterlife maybe I will face it with dignity and respect.

It's a shame that Satan is so strong that God cannot stop him directly and that God is unable to remove the curse of Adam and Eve and that God could not have foreseen what would happen with those two so long ago. But we do not support God because he is all-powerful or all-wise, but because he is good (if not all-good). He may not have the power to prevent evil right now, but the day is coming when he will correct his errors, defeat or redeem Satan, retrieve the souls from Hell - including his son, who chose to bear suffering for the sake of others - before dissolving it, and bringing about a world of everlasting goodness. We can hasten that day by doing good in our own lives so that there is less evil left for God to clean up, who I'm sure appreciates all the help we can give him. It is for the benefit of ourselves and others that we seek to push the virtues of justice, mercy, forgiveness, and charity in the world.

But isn't God omnipotent? And isn't he omniscient? I thought the bible said that he was. Can you please explain this to me?

All the way back in Genesis, he has to ask where Adam and Eve went. Jesus takes correction from others in the New Testament. For that matter, why would there need to be a New Testament to replace and update the old one unless he'd tried one thing and it hadn't worked and now tried something else? If the New Testament is superior and he knew it was going to be necessary all along, why not lead with that one?

If he's all-powerful, then he could surely shut Hell down, unless you'd prefer the answer that he doesn't know what's going on there or else that he doesn't care to do anything about it. I don't. There's a lot of talk of God having a plan, but the only people who need plans are those with limited resources. I need a payment plan to pay for my house or college or a car. If I had unlimited money I could just pay for those things outright and instantly. Military leaders need plans because they face foes with a comparable amount of power that can't be swept away in a single battle. Governments and cities need to plan out districts and buildings years ahead of time because those things take years to build and can't just be plopped down at a moment's notice.

It's a matter of taking theodicy seriously for a minute instead of hand-waving it away or giving up. There's stuff wrong the world. Unless you want to dispute that that's the case, then you have to take a look at the origins of wrongness. Either God does wrong stuff on purpose or he doesn't know right from wrong or else it's got another source entirely and he can't fully prevent it from manifesting. Calling God weak may sound terrible, but it's better than evil or a fool, because those are the other two choices.

Oh, and trying doing a search for "Omniscient" or "Omnipotent" in the Bible. You won't find anything there any more than you'll find the Antichrist in Revelations.

He has to ask where Adam and Eve went.

That doesn't prove that he didn't know where they were. Someone can easily ask a question to which they know the answer. Usually, the reason to do that is to point something out or teach something.

Jesus takes correction from others in the New Testament.

I'm sorry, I can't seem to recall that verse, care to point it out?

the New Testament is superior to the old.

Okay, who told you that? The Old Testament is nothing less than a formal introduction to God himself. This book sets the cosmic and temporal contexts for the New Testament. It is "Part One" of a unique two-part epic. Jesus, Peter and Paul, Matthew and John, and numerous others in the New Testament, frequently quote from the Old Testament. Without the Old, the New would be adrift, cut off from its life-giving roots.

If he's all-powerful, then he could surely shut Hell down

I'm not quite sure what you mean by hell, so I'm going to assume that you mean the place you go after the Second Death.

I've always considered that while God does have omnipotence, he is self consistent. For example, God has the power to tell a lie, but he won't because it isn't in his nature to lie. And since God always keep his promises, those who have been judged to spend eternity away from God will stay there forever.

There's stuff wrong the world. Unless you want to dispute that that's the case, then you have to take a look at the origins of wrongness. Either God does wrong stuff on purpose or he doesn't know right from wrong or else it's got another source entirely and he can't fully prevent it from manifesting. Calling God weak may sound terrible, but it's better than evil or a fool, because those are the other two choices.

The world is the way it is because Adam and Eve defied God when they took of the forbidden fruit. They ate the fruit entirely of their own volition. So blame them for our troubles.

Oh, and trying doing a search for "Omniscient" or "Omnipotent" in the Bible. You won't find anything there any more than you'll find the Antichrist in Revelations.

See Job 42:2. Also, see this: www.allaboutgod.com/god-is-omniscient-faq.htm

Lets look at a small part of your argument.

The world is the way it is because Adam and Eve defied God when they took of the forbidden fruit. They ate the fruit entirely of their own volition. So blame them for our troubles.

We have the medical know-how to keep AIDS from being transmitted from mother to child. We have the moral fiber to desire to do that. We have the resources to reach people with AIDS to administer the treatment. Which of these is God lacking that he does not likewise prevent the transmission of original sin from one generation to the next. I picked "resources". What is your answer?

The Old Testament is nothing less than a formal introduction to God himself.

How so? I thought it was a little history, a bunch of law, some poetry, and some more history. How is forbidding the eating of shellfish and setting the price of slaves an introduction to God? I'm not convinced.

Without the Old, the New would be adrift, cut off from its life-giving roots.

You misunderstand. Why ban a bunch of stuff in Leviticus and then un-ban it later on? It sounds like someone who changes their mind might do. Which is reasonable; people learn things and their desires change over time. People don't always hold a consistent worldview for ever and ever.

Speaking of which....

I've always considered that while God does have omnipotence, he is self consistent. For example, God has the power to tell a lie, but he won't because it isn't in his nature to lie. And since God always keep his promises, those who have been judged to spend eternity away from God will stay there forever.

Is it okay to eat pork according to God? Yes or no. Since absolute consistency of God over time is of great importance to you, I expect that you can give a simple answer which is valid at any time in history. What is that answer?

More to the point, why make such a promise in the first place? What's the point? And why is following through on a promise with terrible consequences supposed to be less bad then going back on it? If God came to me and told me that he'd changed his mind and wasn't really going to destroy the world through a series of horrific disasters like in Revelations, I'd be relieved, not angry at him for breaking a promise. Wouldn't you be?

Great questions, I'm afraid I only have time to to adress one right now, but tomorrow I shall cover the rest.

Is it okay to eat pork according to God? Yes or no.

God didn't want the Israelites eating unclean meat. But later on in scripture, God made all meat clean, and so it is now good to eat. So yes.

I present to you a competing brand of scripture, which is 30% more enlightened than the generic brand and is dermatologist tested and approved:

“Therefore, bhikkhus, any kind of material form whatever, whether past, future, or present, internal or external,
gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near, all material form should be seen as it actually is with proper wisdom thus: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.’ Any kind of feeling whatever…Any kind of perception whatever…Any kind of formations whatever … Any kind of consciousness whatever, whether past, future, or present, internal or external, gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near, all consciousness should be seen as it actually is with proper wisdom thus: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.’

“Seeing thus, bhikkhus, a well-taught noble disciple becomes disenchanted with material form, disenchanted with feeling, disenchanted with perception, disenchanted with formations, disenchanted with consciousness.

“Being disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate. Through dispassion his mind is liberated. When it is liberated there comes the knowledge: ‘It is liberated.’ He understands: ‘Birth is destroyed, the holy life has been lived, what had to be done has been done, there is no more coming to any state of being.’

Gotta say, I am refreshed and challenged by your questions.

Which of these is God lacking that he does not likewise prevent the transmission of original sin from one generation to the next. I picked "resources". What is your answer?

The Bible is clear that we do have a choice about our sins. As Ezekiel 18:20 shows, each of us is responsible for our own sins, and we must bear the punishment for them. We cannot share our guilt with another, nor can another be held responsible for our transgressions. “Each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away” (James 1:14). A driver sees the speed limit sign; he exceeds the limit; he gets a ticket. He can’t blame Adam for that.

Look at Ephesians 2:3, which says that we gratify the cravings of our sinful nature. That is a choice. Romans 3:23 says that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” We are sinners by deed as well as by nature. It is our own sin that condemns us, not Adam’s. We may be born in sin, but we continue to sin by our own personal choice. When we choose sin, we become guilty before God. We are more than potential sinners; we are practicing sinners.

There is, however, one exception to this rule, and it applies to all mankind. One man bore the sins of others and paid the penalty for them so sinners could become completely righteous and pure in the sight of God. That man is Jesus Christ, who came into the world to exchange His perfection for our sin. “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God” (2 Corinthians 5:21).

I thought it was a little history, a bunch of law, some poetry, and some more history. How is forbidding the eating of shellfish and setting the price of slaves an introduction to God?

I think this site has what your looking for: "Why should we study the Old Testament?"

Why ban a bunch of stuff in Leviticus and then un-ban it later on? It sounds like someone who changes their mind might do. Which is reasonable; people learn things and their desires change over time. People don't always hold a consistent worldview for ever and ever.

All the laws regarding animal sacrifices, religious feasts and festivals, and ceremonial cleansing have been revoked because Jesus serves as the final sacrifice, thus inaugurating a new covenant (Hebrews 8:13).

Also, "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?" (Numbers 23:19)

Why make such a promise in the first place? What's the point? And why is following through on a promise with terrible consequences supposed to be less bad then going back on it? If God came to me and told me that he'd changed his mind and wasn't really going to destroy the world through a series of horrific disasters like in Revelations, I'd be relieved, not angry at him for breaking a promise. Wouldn't you be?

I'd be relieved beyond measure, but God despises lying. The Bible presents God’s attitude toward sin with strong feelings of hostility, disgust, and utter dislike. It is antithetical to God's nature to break his promises.

The Bible is clear that we do have a choice about our sins.

Thing is, for that to matter, you kind of need to believe that the Bible is an authoritative source on anything to begin with. Consider it from the perspective of someone who doesn't for a moment: All those verses you quote? Looks to non-Christians pretty much exactly like that Buddhist sutra I quoted looks to you. It only really matters to someone who would already agree with it from the beginning.

It only really matters to someone who would already agree with it from the beginning.

True, that's why I'm working off the assumption that Veylon believes at least part of the Bible.

The whole "what kind of idiot god would make eating shrimps a sin" sentiment makes me kinda doubt it.

And yet I feel like none of my questions were actually answered. Well, let me try to parse what you said:

1) The transmission of sin from generation to generation does not happen. Original Sin is a false doctrine.
2) Your link does not describe the Old Testament as an "Introduction to God". I'm not sure why you asserted that in the first place.
3) You saw the laws were revoked. That's not a terribly convincing reason for them to exist in the first place. Why have sacrifice laws in the first place? Why does Christ need to fulfill them instead of just wadding them up and throwing them away?
4) Again, no part of my question is answered. As best I can tell from what you're saying, it's a matter of pride for God to go through with a decision regardless of consequences. It's fine for him to hate something and want to destroy it in a highly destructive manner (I guess), but we tend to call ordinary people who do that sort of thing terrorists, so I'm not sure that he's a good role model to follow in that regard.

And, no, I don't take the Bible as an authoritative source. That involves too much haggling over the technical meaning of individual verses in isolation from one another.

Original Sin is a false doctrine.

Oh it's true, but we are condemned by our own sin, not Adam's.

You saw the laws were revoked. That's not a terribly convincing reason for them to exist in the first place. Why have sacrifice laws in the first place?

The Levitical Law served to establish Israel as a nation and culture. And animal sacrifices were commanded by God so that an individual could experience forgiveness of sin. The animal served as a substitute—that is, the animal died in place of the sinner, but only temporarily, which is why the sacrifices needed to be offered over and over.

Again, no part of my question is answered. As best I can tell from what you're saying, it's a matter of pride for God to go through with a decision regardless of consequences. It's fine for him to hate something and want to destroy it in a highly destructive manner (I guess), but we tend to call ordinary people who do that sort of thing terrorists, so I'm not sure that he's a good role model to follow in that regard.

Comparing God to the terrorists fails to account for the radical differences between a holy and loving creator who exacts just judgment upon the unrepentant, and sinful and fallen people who inflict unjust punishment upon innocent victims.

God does not take pleasure in the deaths of the wicked, He wishes that all would come to repentance. (Ezekiel 33:11. 2 Peter 3:9)

You saw the laws were revoked. That's not a terribly convincing reason for them to exist in the first place. Why have sacrifice laws in the first place? Why does Christ need to fulfill them instead of just wadding them up and throwing them away?

The convenient thing about divine command ethics is that they need no further justification for individual laws besides the fact that they exist. Morality is caused to exist by divine command, period. They are completely equivalent. It's a very clear-cut kind of worldview.

4415607 It's inevitable, so why worry? I consider an ideal life to be one lived without fear.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19