Quill and Blade 363 members · 61 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
Crystal Wishes
Group Admin

At least, I hope it shall be a happy one for our dear Velvet Step...

The Q&B Discord server is infested with vamponies, and they seem to have it out for Velvet Step with tricks and treats! She's already expecting it to be a bad Nightmare Night. Will these ravenous vamponies prove her right, or give her a new perspective on the holiday?

Let's find out!

Crystal Wishes
Group Admin

Canterlot Street - Nightmare Night - Midnight

"Nightmare Night, such a fright, give me something sweet to bite!"

Velvet Step shivered as foals chanted the festive sing-song the moment the clock struck midnight. It was that time of the year again: the time for tricks and treats, for spooks and frights, and for ponies in costumes. Emphasis on costumes. That vampony up the road was definitely just a costume. And they weren't coming for her; they just happened to be walking in her direction.

When they were just about to pass by each other, the vampony smiled at her, fangs gleaming under the streetlights. "Excuse me," he rumbled in a deep baritone voice. "By chance, do you know where I might find Prince Bloodbath?"

Velvet's ears shot up. "Prince who?!"

"Blueblood?" He tilted his head. "Prince Blueblood?"

"Right. Yeah. Right." Velvet breathed in through her nose and out through her mouth, slowly shaking her head. "I have no idea. His Royal Pain is usually at the palace. Have you looked there?"

The vampony flashed those fangs again with another smile. "Ah! Yes! Of course. The palace. I apologize, I'm not from... around here."

It was definitely not suspicious the way he said 'around here'. Nope. Not at all. "Yeah, well, palace is your best bet."

"Thank you. Happy Nightmare Night," he said in a tone that couldn't be anything but menacing, but he was already trotting away before Velvet could freak out too much.

Velvet drew a hoof over her face to try and center her racing thoughts and heart. It was fine. She was fine. It was just another Nightmare Night like any other...

Crystal Wishes
Group Admin

Pancake Shack - Nightmare Night - Morning

The sun is still sleeping when Velvet met up with Nightingale at the Pancake Shack.

"I really hate this time of year," Velvet complained as she slumps into a booth, Nightingale sitting down across from her. "Foals dressed up are cute. Adults, though? Creepy."

Nightingale rolled her eyes. "Oh my gosh, you dress up every year!"

Velvet's ears flatten against her mane, but she offers a sheepish grin. "Yeah, okay, but I dress up for Princess Luna's party. Ponies are just out wandering the streets in costume!"

"Wow, I've heard of Hearth's Warming grinches before, but this is a new one." Nightingale giggled, waving a hoof. "Lighten up. Canterlot only recently started celebrating Nightmare Night, so let them enjoy it!"

In a show of maturity, Velvet stuck out her tongue and blew a raspberry to win the argument.

"Good evening, ladies," a voice like liquid velvet interrupted. "Welcome to the Pancake Shack. I'll be your caretaker for the night. It is my pleasure to serve delectable morsels such as yourselves."

Velvet looked over to see a pony covered from head to hoof in gothic attire and—surprise surprise—gleaming fangs against blood red lips. She suppressed a shudder and instead looked across the table at Nightingale, one brow raised, and mouthed: "See?"

Nightingale waved a hoof to dismiss her and said, "Hiya! What's the Nightmare Night special?"

"Poisonberry pancakes," the waiter drawled.

"What?!" Velvet felt herself going faint.

"What, what?" Nightingale peered at her with a mix of confusion and exapseration. "I thought you liked boysenberry?"

Velvet tried to regain her senses, shaking her head slightly. "Boysenberry. Right, yeah. Boysenberry pancakes. Sounds great."

However, when the pancakes arrived, Velvet could only stare at them while Nightingale dug in. The dark red sauce looked just like... blood.

While Velvet lost her appetite, the waiter turned away from the table, grinning menacingly.

I approoove ov dis storeh. Geev Velvet de creeps! Ah-ah-ah-ah-ahhhhhhh! -Vlad Shacula

Crystal Wishes
Group Admin

Sunridge Sweets - Nightmare Night - Afternoon

Velvet Step practically kicked the door open to Sunridge Sweets and jumped inside, grinning. "Hey, Red! Big sis is here!"

The bell above the door chimed, the sound echoing in the eerie silence. All the lights were off and all the chairs were empty. Where was everypony?

"Hello?" She stepped inside, glancing around the dimly lit interior. "Mom? Dad?"

Something moved just ahead of her, slow and lumbering in her direction.

"Red?" Velvet squeaked into the darkness.

"Hun—gryyy..." Red's form morphed out of the shadows, red frosting all over his face.

A smile broke across Velvet's muzzle and she raised her forehooves in mock fear. "Oh, no! My sweet baby brother is a cupcake zompony?! Who would allow such a thing!"

"Maybe his..." Sunbeam stumbled forward, frosting all over her face, too. "... cupcake zompony parents!"

Velvet gasped loudly. "Not you, too, Mom! Please tell me Dad is—"

Pepper crawled out from under a table. "Also hun—gry!"

"Nooo!" Velvet backed up against the door, her attempts at wailing hindered by her laughter. "I'm trapped! I can't get away!"

Red was the first to strike, nomming on one of her forelegs, smearing the frosting into her coat. Velvet laughed through her cries of fake agony as she fell victim to the cupcake zompony plague.

Crystal Wishes
Group Admin

Synthaholic - Nightmare Night - Evening

"Nightmare Night, such a fright," Velvet sing-songed in spite of herself. "Find me somepony sweet to bite..."

She grinned as one of her favorite clubs came into view: Synthaholic. Music was already thrumming in the air, washing over Velvet as she pushed the front food open. She could almost taste the alcohol in the air—sweet elixirs that promised a good night to come, vodka and tequila and fruit and happy adult fun times.

The music was loud, reaching deep into her soul and pulling out her need to DANCE! Already her hips were swaying to the beat as she made her way across the room to join the throng of ponies all in costume.

Among the throng of cute devils and sexy cats was a deliciously round flank in a pink frock. Velvet wiggled her way toward the owner of such a delectable-looking rump and, to her delight and surprise, recognized the face in front of her.

"Diddle?"

Recognition flared into a smile. "Velvet! Oh my gosh! Hi!"

Velvet grinned and cocked her head to take in the sight of Diddle Daddle. The mare wore a pink dress and matching bonnett, fake ringlets of blonde hair framing her face. "Okay, I give. Who are you?"

"Wait, wait, wait." Diddle pranced in place, her gaze darting about before she reared up onto her hindlegs to wave her front ones. "Dilly! Diiiilly! C'mere!"

Just as Velvet turned to look, she caught sight of the poor stallion and burst into laughter.

Dilly Dally was big ol' fluffy sheep, which made Diddle—"Little Bo Peep and her Lost Sheep," Velvet said between gasps for air.

"Ding, ding!" Diddle clapped her forehooves. "You're not in costume, though?"

Velvet turned on Diddle with a wicked grin. "Oh, I am."

Diddle tilted her head. "Really? What are you?"

Moving like liquid velvet, Velvet sidled up close to Diddle and whispered against her lips, "Give me one dance with you to show you what I can do, and I'll be lucky tonight."

Crystal Wishes
Group Admin

Velvet's Condo - Nightmare Night - Night

Velvet yawned as she dragged herself into her apartment, her whole body sore. Poisonberry pancakes, cupcake zompony attack, a dalliance with Diddle Daddle (but, sadly, no Dilly Dally—Diddle had a strict rule against that)... It had been a good day overall, honestly. Probably one of the best Nightmare Nights she'd had in a while. She couldn't help smiling as she dropped down onto her bed and buried her face in the pillow, ready to drift off to sleep.

"Velvet Step..."

Velvet jolted upright and looked around, heart already racing. "Who's there?!"

A figure morphed out of the shadows, grinning. Velvet felt the color drain from her face as she shrieked—it was the vampony from that morning.

"Excuse me?! What are you doing in my home?!"

"I've come to deliver... your final Nightmare Night surprise." He dispersed into a swirl of bats, all of which squeaked and flew out the window that opened and closed on its own. In his place sat a wrapped package, black paper and dark red ribbon.

Velvet stared at it, heart pounding all the way to her ears.

The package did nothing.

Velvet kept staring.

It kept doing nothing.

Finally, with a trembling hoof, Velvet touched the package.

It continued to keep doing nothing.

As Velvet tugged the ribbon, the box's lid sprung off and sent a plume of glitter into the air, and Velvet nearly fainted.

For, truly, there is no greater trick than that of unexpected glitter... because everypony knows that it gets everywhere, and you can never fully get rid of it.

Elsewhere, Prince Blueblood chuckled to himself and tapped his glass to the mysterious vampony's, celebrating a Nightmare Night successfully executed...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7