Let's Make You Known! 793 members · 3,108 stories
Comments ( 2 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 2
typervader
Group Admin

Hello Sorerer! You just won an interview for the let's make you known group! Do you want to do it over PMs, a blog post, a Disocrd chat room, voice chat, a g docs page?

This interview will be a simple Q and A to answer things about who you are and why we should care about you!
10h, 9m ago Sorcerer said:

Over PM's would be good.
10h, 9m ago Sorcerer said:

Ask away.
10h, 3m ago Sorcerer said:

I'm good. Go ahead.
1h, 22s ago typervader said:

Alright. How did you get into MLP: FiM?
53m, 45s ago Sorcerer said:

Well, I began on the Creepypasta Network around four years ago. I read Cupcakes (and thought it was garbage), but after I decided to watch the show it was based on, that was that. As a writer, I enjoy MLP for the many allusions in the show and it's vivid and relatable characters.
52m, 48s ago typervader said:

How did you discover fimfiction and what made you want to write?

47m, 17s ago Sorcerer said:

I found the site after a friend gave me the link to Fallout: Equestria. I enjoyed the fanfic, and it really changed my opinion on the whole idea of fanfiction. I've been writing most of my young life, but I figured I'd learn so much more if I shared my work with this site. So two years ago I made a profile. Been here ever since.
46m, 12s ago typervader said:

That's cool. Starting on the biggest and most known fimfic. So, since you have been writing for awhile, what kind of things do you like to write about?
40m, 13s ago Sorcerer said:

I create worlds, and I pride myself on the sheer scale of the worlds I create. Granted, they aren't perfect yet (no writer is perfect), but I try to immerse the reader in my own mind. My favorite genres to write are sci-fi and fantasy (being a long-time nerd and all...), and I create my own lore in my stories, loosely basing them off my favorite mythological tales or classic sci-fi novels. And being a fan of anime and all said things, I decided to create "Shanghai'd!", a story that's been going for a year and a half now. When I started brainstorming, I wanted to create a world with elements from many genres and pieces of media, and One Piece was the largest inspiration for that story.
37m, 28s ago typervader said:

Ah, I love world building as well. Its great to make worlds fell alive rather then just there. Making your own world is something cool too! Give it your own touch.

What Generes do you tend to avoid and what do you think you need to improve on?
31m, 11s ago Sorcerer said:

I usually avoid tales with environments grounded in reality. Granted, I still want character interactions that are grounded in reality, but with the expansive world that MLP: FIM provides, I don't really get all of these slice-of-life shipping stories. Keep in mind that there are some stories like those that are very well written, but their just not my cup of tea. I have two slice-of-life fanfics myself, but they all revolve around relevant world issues like war and refugees, or cancer and abandonment. If I go into reality, I don't sugarcoat it. I believe I can work on this genre a little more, but I get far too caught up in my other stories to improve. :twilightblush:
29m, 49s ago typervader said:

Ah, I understand. You like to go crazy with your world building, and being stuck in reality makes that hard. Hmmm.

What could you tell other authors (such as my self) how to improve on world building?
18m, 42s ago Sorcerer said:

There is but one word that best describes the prime strategy for building worlds, and that is "visualize". My mind is a weird and jumbled place, and so I have to pace and tap my fingers to focus as I do so. I play each chapter in my head like an episode of a television series. In fact, if you catch me brainstorming in my room, you'll be seeing me mouthing lines of dialogue and voice acting before I write a line in my story. I give each character a voice and each action a sound. That way, the tale becomes closer to reality in mind, and the next line becomes clearer. In the case of world-building, you need to mentally place yourself in that world, and that takes practice for non-visual writers. I recommend finding pieces of music to go along with the theme of your story and listening to them whilst you write. I listen to them while I'm on a break. You need to brainstorm constantly, and you also need to write many of your ideas down or you'll forget. I'm a maniac, luckily, and I actually store all of the info pertaining to my story in my head. (Because I can remember it all, yet I can't remember what drink I was getting from the fridge in my garage by the time I get there... :ajbemused:)
16m, 48s ago typervader said:

Wow, that is some sound advice you have there mate. Its close to what I use for characters, as I like to make characters as real as possible. Using the brain is the most important part of any tale, to make it feel real and alive.

Anything else you would like to share? (Sorry its so short, I honestly can't think of anything else :facehoof: )
4m, 44s ago Sorcerer said:

If you are sharing this interview, shoot me a link. I'd like to see the feedback it gets. And because I'm selfish and desperate (I'm still not very well known yet!), I invite you and whoever else to read my work. It ain't perfect, it ain't flowery, but I love what I do. Which gives me an idea for some extra advice! I'll tell you what it means to be a writer, and why you should never stop!

A writer is an artist of language. He translates the world within his mind into vivid verbal sequences. A writer's job has always been to entertain, but it can be so much more than that. You can create, inform, inspire. The sky's the limit! Never lose faith in what you do, because the future needs dreamers like us. It may seem hopeless since you got that bad review or criticism, but you can never lose faith in yourself and what you create. And as a writer, you have to accept that not everyone will enjoy your work, that's the sad fact of the business! If you write, write it your way. But don't get too comfortable! "Your way" always has room to grow and change, and you need to listen to your critics. Most of them mean well, and they want to see you improve. Why else would they spend time helping you? Keep writing and dreaming, and keep moving forward. As a writer, you can't ever stop. It's in our blood. I gave up writing multiple times, but somehow I always ended up back here, doing what I love, and growing more and more each day!
1m, 15s ago typervader said:

This interview will get posted on the Let's Make you known group, guess I forgot to say that.

Thanks for the advice, and I will see you around!

Thanks again for the interview! I'm glad I had some time off today to do it!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 2