The Fimfiction Bureau of Imaginationists 235 members · 145 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

I've been working, for the last couple weeks or so, on a prose adaptation of IDW's "Reflections" story. It's not a word-for-word, page-for-page copy of the original - dialogue is changed, the story is condensed at points, I've added in segments from Sombra's FIENDship comic, the ending is different and more characters play a role in the story than did in the original - but I'm still leery about posting it here, due to concerns that it might be considered plagiarism.

So, I'm asking for folks to look at it, as I post it elsewhere, and weigh in. If enough folks say to go ahead and post the dang thing here, then I'll do so. Anyone willing to help?

Here's the link for those curious - Reflections - Quiververse Edition - Chapter One

HapHazred
Group Admin

4528829 If I might suggest something: Anyone who's read the comics will probably have issues with the story, for the main reason that if most of what's told follows the events of the comic, they'll already know exactly what's going to happen.

I've seen it for stories that follow episodes: nothing is really anywhere near as entertaining, because it's all something I've seen before, just somewhere else (usually the show). I can't really comment on the story, since I haven't read the Reflections Comic or the Sombra one, but based on prior experience, it'll most certainly be an uphill battle to keep people's interest, especially if all you've done is changed small things like dialogue instead of adding anything new. If there's a long stretch in there without a big change where things start to become more unpredictable, I suspect it'll be rather hard on a reader.

Really, though, if you're worried about it being plagiarism, I honestly don't know (since again, I haven't read the source material). I'd recommend asking a moderator or story approver directly, since they can give you a much more certain answer than I ever could. It doesn't sound like plagiarism, since you are adding your own stuff (and in fanfiction, that's usually enough) but to be sure, I'd ask someone who knows better than me.

4530074 Well, there are changes beyond dialogue. I'd elaborate, but I've no desire to spoil; folks already have a general idea of where the story's going anyway, so they're spoiled as-is.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm going to go ahead and submit - if any problems come from that, then I'll deal with them as they come.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3