MOONDANCER! 313 members · 158 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

As of last week I keep seeing conflicting things, and this is a real question that I require the answer to. Because of reasons.

For that matter, does anyone really care how it's spelled in fics? Also, another real question.

Heartfelt opinions or official sources welcome, "headcanons" are not. Thanks! <3

I had an idea for a story, where the G4 Twilight recolor (Moon Dancer) meets the G1 white-coated version (Moondancer).

I think officially its Moon Dancer, but it sounded like Moondancer, and that looks better to me, so...

The credits for the episode listed the spelling as Moondancer.

4540711 Why do I have the feeling this is going to end up like the eternal debate regarding how Apple Bloom is spelled?
Edit: I know it's "Apple Bloom" and that the alternative is wrong. I was just thinking about the instances where people kept asking about whether it's "Apple Bloom" or the incorrect version. Sorry for thinking of something stupid.
Anyway, 4540738 has the right idea in my opinion. Since the credits list her as Moondancer, that's the spelling I'd go with. If you're planning to write a fic about her—or any pony for that matter—I wish you the best of luck. :twilightsmile:

According to her page in the MLP Wikia, it seems like it alternates a little:

Her name is spelled "Moon Dancer" in Amending Fences' closed captioning and with a trademark symbol in merchandise and "Moondancer" in Friendship is Magic, part 1's closed captioning, Amending Fences' ending credits, and in the comics.

As far as my opinion is concerned, the spelling of her name doesn't really matter, but "Moondancer" seems to be just a little easier for reading...

I've seen it done both ways. My take on this is that nopony's actually speaking English, anyway, and we have no real idea of the phonemes and separations in a language which is being spoken by beings with nonhuman vocal organs.

Cadence/Cadance was a debate. Apple Bloom/Applebloom was just people not knowing how words work. :P

...then again, so was Cadance/Cadence. I miss when corporations knew how to maintain brand consistency.

Merchandise vs. Credits. ARGH. This really is Cadance all over again.

WelI, if neither official source can agree yet again, then screw it. I'll go with the version which rolls off my brain more easily. Moondancer it is.

Thanks for the help.

I vote for Moondancer or at least that's what I'm going to use no matter how you guys decide. :P Just like I rather use the fan name of Colgate than the offical Minutte.

There are no eternal debates. There are people who spell it Apple Bloom, and people who are wrong.

Yeah, I know Apple Bloom is the correct spelling. I just recalled people still asking whether it's that or the incorrect version. I apologize for my stupid thought.

The thought wasn't stupid. It was correct. I too remember the squabbles plain as day.

They happened. Unfortunately. :rainbowlaugh:

While I agree that it's fine to use what you like... this is a little different. This is a question as to spelling and capitalization of essentially the same name. There are mild technical reasons behind it, but the end decision is largely inconsequential. Ultimately I just want to escape nitpicks before they start.

However, unlike, say, Vinyl Scratch vs. DJ-PON3 (where one name literally looks idiotic in prose and really anywhere outside of marketing), Colgate vs. Minuette is an issue of two different names, and IMO one doesn't really serve any more purpose to the character or ease of writing over the other outside of... well, sentimental attachment.

Unlike Moon Dancer vs. Moondancer, "Colgate", especially now, suggests completely different things to some potential readers than "Minuette", especially after last week--but at least now if you use "Minuette" and a few specific characterization ticks, everyone will instantly know exactly which pony you're writing about and what her deal is.

(Though I never saw the point of using Colgate before last week, to say nothing of after. :D Minuette even relates to her cutie mark more. )

As Bookish said. The thought wasn't stupid. The squabbles were. They're also not eternal.

It's true. They only lasted about two years. :D

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13