The Skeptics’ Guide to Equestria 60 members · 79 stories
Comments ( 22 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 22
Walabio
Group Admin

I went to my Doctrix. She says that I have a long sleep-period (10 hours), and suffer from burnout from sleep deprivation. Basically, initially, I could force myself to function with insufficient sleep for over an year, but I hit a wall and could just sleep through anything.

I have a letter from my Doctrix. I do not know whether it will do any though.

¿Do you remember the snafu when the clinic did not have the vaccine against the 'Rona; so now sent me to CVS (CVS is a chain of Pharmacies)? My 'RonaShot did not show on my records. My Doctrix offered me another 'RonaJab. I accepted.

A nurse came into give to me the vaccination. After the vaccination, I thanked her for the 2nd vaccination against SARS-CoV-2 in ajust a few month. She had me clarify that it was the 2nd in a few months. I told to her that I had 1 in November. She asked why I did not say anything before the shot. I stated that it seemed probable that I would not receive the jab if she would know. She asked whether I told my Doctrix about my previous vaccination against CoViD-19. I stated that I did not. She asked why not. I stated that it seemed probable that I would not receive the jab if she would know. She responded with 1 CompoundAdjective:

"¡Well-played!"
——
The Nurse

With 2 vaccinations agains the 'Rona and 3 against Influenza so far this year, ¡I am 'Rona/Influenza-Proof, for the year! ¡:yay:!

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7935403 There's a condition where the immune system can react in such a way that it deforms every cell of your body on the molecular level, making you unable to utilize much energy.

In other words, you basically sleep 24 hours per day. That's what happened to my favorite YouTuber:

The chances of that are slim, but they are interesting nonetheless.

Walabio
Group Admin

¿Did PhysicsGirl remember to get her shots and maskup? When she caught the 'Rona, ¿did she get Paxlovid?

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7935414 I'm not sure. She seemed to take it somewhat seriously, but clearly not serious enough since she caught COVID, after all. Then again, I caught it too even though I was very careful. I even stopped carrying stuff in my mouth because I became so cautious.

Walabio
Group Admin

Considering how sick she got, she probably did not vaccinate. Given that the 'Rona caused so much damage, she probably did not use Paxlovid for stopping viral replication. I see this quite a bit:

Young people sometimes feel that they are too young to die from the 'Rona. That might be so, but they are still old enough for the'Rona to fuck them up for life:

During Δ Delta, vaccinate were about a 10th as likely to get infected, a 20th as likely to become hospitalized, and a 30th as likely to die than those idiotic antivaxxers. Paxlovid stops viral replication.

¡One can offer antivaxxing ponies masks, vaccinations, and antivirals, but one cannot make them use them.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7935422 The thing is, it's not the Rona that corrupts all of your cells. It's the immune response.

Normally, the immune system doesn't do that, but in some cases, a hidden, inactive response gets activated. The immune system says, "This isn't even my final form!" and then destroys the whole body along with the virus.

Immune response: complete success
Collateral damage: patient

Walabio
Group Admin

Diseases sabotaging the immune system is common. MS is an autoimmune disease caused this way, measles weakens the immune system, thus not only making it harder to clear measles, but leaving one more susceptible to other infections. HIV directly infects the immune system, thus causing AIDS.

I awoke with a painful arm and a swollen shoulder. That means that the vaccination works.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7935509 But sometimes, the body just decides to destroy itself on its own.

Swelling is an indication of the immune response. You should be a role model to your GF. Is she even still alive?

Walabio
Group Admin

> "But sometimes, the body just decides to destroy itself on its own."

Yes that happens. Type-Ⅰ Diabetes is from the immunesystem destroying the insulinmaking cells.

> "Swelling is an indication of the immune response. You should be a role model to your GF. Is she even still alive?"

Yes, she is alive. She got over her influenza. I was there with her not being sick the whole time. It is good to be trple-vaccinated against influenza. Her fear of needles makes her suffer more from disease than the nearly painless injections would cause.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7935567 I used to have a GF who was afraid of snakes.

I vowed that I shall never intimately associate myself with another person who has phobias. The way I see it, there are just two kind of people in the world, those who have standards (and are self-critical) for themselves and those who don't.

Walabio
Group Admin

This Thursday, the 7th, I have an hearing with the Union and work.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7943864 I hope you guys patch things up.

Walabio
Group Admin

¡Thanks!

Walabio
Group Admin

I went to the meeting with the Union and Work today:

The directions said wear a mask, so I did. I was the only person who did. I would not be surprised if I shall be the only person who will not get sick next week:

A woman at the meeting kept coughing (probably Influenza or the ‘Rona). We all had to sit at the same table for over an hour in a small room.

I am happy that I have 3 vaccinations against Influenza and 2 against the ‘Rona this year and wore an N95, as instructed, I shall probably not get sick. As for everyone else, given that they inhaled her droplets for over an hour, I would not be surprised if all of the others get sick.

I used bluing on my grey hair so that it would appear silvery blue instead of dingy yellow, trimmed my beard, cut and glossed my nails, wore my best suit, and polished my shoes for an hour, thus making them shiny black. I hope that I gave a good impression.

Work neither cared that I soldiered on through sleep-deprivation for 6 years before I hit a wall, nor that when I woke from oversleeping, I would skip breakfast and a shower, get dressed as fast as I could, run to work, and punch in only 5-to-10 minutes late; work only cared that I was 5-to-10 minutes late 1-to-2 times a week, the last few months. Work did not care that I had a letter from my Physician hating that after over 6 years of sleep-deprivation, I hit a wall and need a reduction from 12-hour shifts to 10-hour shifts.

I hope that they should rehire me. I await the decision.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7945220 I hope you get your job back.

Walabio
Group Admin

So do I.

I thought about everyone else inhaling droplets and have an hypothesis:

I followed the rules because I want my job back. The others could flaunt the rules because they are high up in the organization. The infected woman did wear a mask for keeping her germs to herself because none can tell her what to do.

When the others realized that the women was sick, they probably wanted to mask up, but they did not because they did not want to offend their boss (the sick woman). After making their bed, they had to lie in it and inhale, for over an hour, the droplets of a clearly sick woman, definitely presenting flu-like symptoms.

I could feel the drops of her coughing landing on me. Every few minutes, she coughed up a glob of mucus into facial tissue. These piled up in front of her.

While the others inhaled her droplets, I, with 3 vaccinations against Influenza, 2 against the 'Rona, and an N95, got to watch those who fired me uncomfortably inhale the droplets coughed out onto them. Even if the Union cannot get me job back, I get the satisfaction of knowing that those who fired me got sick —— ¡I see no way that this could not be a superspreader-event!

¡It sure feels good to me protected!

Speaking about Influenza, the 4th was the 106s anniversary of the 1st recorded case of the Influenza-Pandemic of 1918. Despite being called the Spanish Flu, the 1st case was reported in Kansas USA. That is why we do not name diseases after locations any more. It killed about 100 million people in 4 waves from 1918 to 1920.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7945234 Well, I guess you're a winner either way then. Still, I'm hoping for a double win on your side. May you get your job back and may they all get sick.

I find it interesting that despite data being factual and public, people ignore the fact that pandemics are a real thing. Hell, we're in the middle of the pandemic, but everybody just lives in an alternative reality.

Walabio
Group Admin

Looking back on today, I would say that it was PowerMoves within PowerMoves:

They told me to maskup without intending to maskup themselves to show who is boss. When the boss got sick she showed who is boss by not masking and forcing everyone else to get infected. The middle-managers got hoisted by their own petard by their boss when she pulled her own power move on them. Being the bottom of the totem-pole worked for me this time.

Looking back, it does not look good:

Work did not care that I soldiered on for 6 years of sleep-deprivation until I hit a wall of fatigue (I burned out). Work only cared that I I can to work 5-to-10 minutes late 1-to-2 times weekly for the last few months. Work did not care that I have a letter from my Doctrix stating that I just need a bit more rest and that I should work 10-hour shifts. Work just went on-and-on about how I am only allowed to be late 3 times in 4 weeks and I exceeded that. Corporations treat workers like chewing gum:

Corporation chew up lokers and then spit them out.

¿How do employers treat employees in Slovenia?

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7945306 The only goal of a company is profit. This is the same in every country. The only way for companies to treat workers better is to unionize or to give more regulations.

Walabio
Group Admin

That reminds me about the Dutch East India Company, the 1st StockCompany and Limited LiabilityCompany (LLC), in the World:

At its height, it had a value of about 3*10^12 €UR. It was notorious for getting its employees killed:

"There was an extraordinarily high mortality rate among employees of the VOC due to shipwrecks, illnesses such as scurvy and dysentery, and clashes with rival trading companies and pirates.[88] Between 1602 and 1795, about one million seamen and craftsmen departed from Holland, but only 340,000 returned. J.L. van Zanden writes that "the VOC 'consumed' approximately 4,000 people per year."[89]"

With only ⅓rd of its employees survived until retirement, VOC LLC (Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie Limited LiabilityCompany) definitely was the 1st modern Corporation.

Bad Dragon
Group Admin

7945316 Even if there was a nice company out there, it wouldn't survive for long. The more ruthless a company is, the higher profits it can achieve and the greater the chances of its survival. It's a survival of the fittest out there.

Walabio
Group Admin
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 22